Talk

Advanced search

To contemplate taking my slow cooker on holiday?

(24 Posts)
NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 11:14:17

15 of us do a self catering UK break annually. We take turns cooking but it's always "group" meals like spaghetti bolognaise or curry or stews.

I've just made the chilli for our tea tonight and realised if I took the SC my evenings of cooking (I'll do 2 meals) would be much easier! And if others wanted to use it they could.

It's 5.5l so I reckon could probably fit in enough chilli or pulled pork or whatever for 15 (two of which are small dc with sparrow appetites anyways).

Will people think I'm bonkers? Does anyone else take theirs?

healthyheart Fri 06-Jan-17 11:15:44

I've taken mine and so have friends it's ideal. Enjoy!

LIZS Fri 06-Jan-17 11:15:51

Take it!

SparkleShinyGlitter Fri 06-Jan-17 11:18:24

Well I've never cooked and holiday and never will so i wouldn't take it but if cooking on holiday is your thing why make it hard for yourself? At least with a slow cooker you won't have to spend your time cooking. you can throw it all in and forget about it. It's a Good idea

HelloSunshine11 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:19:44

YANBU. I took mine to centre parcs and it made life so much easier - tables in restaurants at kids' tea time are like rocking horse shit there. Meant I could feed them as soon as we got in from days out rather than starting faffing on.

NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 11:21:14

Sparkle if we didn't cook on holiday we probably couldn't afford to go on one tbh. At least with so many of us we only cook a proportion of the weeks food.

MissBattleaxe Fri 06-Jan-17 11:23:04

I think it's a great idea. It's a good feeling to come home after a day out to a hot meal that's already cooked. Just add crusty bread.

MummyToThree479 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:23:25

I am another one that doesn't cook on holiday but in your position with 15 people to cook for I'd be taking the slow cooker, your on holiday make it easy on yourself. Chuck in all in lid on forget about it!

DailyFail1 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:23:26

I would. I used to take a pressure cooker, but am def considering buying a slow cooker as airlines frown on that now.

LaLaLolly Fri 06-Jan-17 11:27:02

I took my InstantPot (Pressure Cooker + Slow Cooker) to Centre Parcs and it was a brilliant decision.

Lazybeans50 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:28:41

Great idea. Might do that myself!

NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 11:30:08

I might have to test and see if I can get 15 portions out of it.

It has a high setting on though so I could do 2 batches on high one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

SymbollocksInteractionism Fri 06-Jan-17 11:30:21

Do it, we took ours to Center Parcs and it was great!

Chelazla Fri 06-Jan-17 11:30:47

I would! I love all inclusive as nothing to do! But we took kids on a caravan hol for my ds birthday as he loves his nans and wanted it instead of a party! I said Id go but wouldn't cook!!! I ended up making a full English every morning and we bbq'd for tea all four nights, just going out for dinner! Kids ran riot outside we pottered around before taking them to the on site club! it was lovely not to rush round kids preferred it to sat down at restaurants! I was 100% converted!

PurpleDaisies Fri 06-Jan-17 11:31:07

Well I've never cooked and holiday and never will

If you're away for a week or more, don't you start to crave vegetables? I really like eating out occasionally but not every evening.

Op I'd definitely take the slow cooker. My sister takes hers in her touring caravan when they go away. Great idea.

Huldra Fri 06-Jan-17 11:32:03

If it'll help then take it, you never know what size moans you get when sc. You could also make a meal before you go and freeze it in large food bags. If your meal will be one of the first you can let it defrost on the way in just a regular cool bag. Or if you pack it well in a reasonable cool box it should remain frozen for most of a day, rather than those freezer packs I use small bottles of water which I freeze a couple of says before. I find they last longer and you get a nice cold bottle of water later on. We do this when camping or sc, it's nice to have a meal or two already done.

Huldra Fri 06-Jan-17 11:33:50

Size MOANS? How on earth can my tablet autocorrect pans to moans.

MrsExpo Fri 06-Jan-17 11:35:22

Not U at all. I always take mine when we do SC hols (which is most of the times as we generally take the dog). Makes life a lot easier. As you're such a big group, see if you can borrow another from a friend so you can double batch things.

NapQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 11:38:47

Good plan to try and acquire a second one.

We take the first meal up pre cooked in two large pots so we know we have those for cooking up there. It's always Goulash grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 11:38:50

The last 3 cottages we've stayed in have had SC's in the kitchens- take it!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 06-Jan-17 11:42:15

I was away for a weekend at a fitness convention recently. Bunged the food in before heading out in the morning then just had the rice to heat up when we got back ravenous in the evening. Brilliant!

Eevee77 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:48:42

My mum always does this.

Dominithecat Fri 06-Jan-17 12:00:41

Yep take it, and with 15 people to feed, borrow another.
I am off SC in April, only 3 of us going but I am taking mine. Even if it's only used once that's fine with me. I thought about it when we had a long weekend last year then wished I had after 3 days of takeaway.

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 06-Jan-17 12:07:05

We do this as we stay self catering on our ski holiday. Chuck it in before leaving them come home to delicious food after apres ski!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now