Talk

Advanced search

To cancel this job interview

(17 Posts)
user1483698419 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:09:14

After 6 months where I only got one job interview, I have made an effort to improve my job applications and the two I sent before Christmas have both offered me an interview.

The first is Thursday next week and the other is Friday next week.

They are both for a Social Work job.

My problem is I am terrible at job interviews. I have always managed to get the job (or offered something of less hours or temporary) despite me feeling I did badly. But my first professional interview for a Social Worker role was horrific. I was a sweaty, nervous wreck and it's completely knocked my confidence. I don't know if I'm being hard on myself as at the end of the interview, the interviewer, kept asking where I live, my availability and was still asking my questions like did I have a car as she was walking me out.

I find if there is only one interviewer and they are really friendly and bubbly I am okay, very good at group interviews and service user interviewers but it's the Manager interviews I go completely blank in.

I applied for a job in a setting I am very interested in, bit more challenging but pushes me more. This interview is Friday and it's with one Manager and a Service user and I feel confident about it to an extent. Still very nervous but it's a newly qualified role and I feel I have the time to concentrate and revise for it. It's also a less daunting prospect as there's only one Manager present and a chance to speak to them informally afterwards.

Then, I got offered an interview for a general community social worker role in a Children's setting. It's in a lovely location I want to move to(not far from me now but a different county) and is permanent. They're taking on 4 people. But I do not have a car and while it's not a requirement to have a car, it's going to be a real challenge getting to my visits across a rural area without one. The other job does not require a car as there are no visits.

But the community role is easier in some ways with the work being less intense and decisions having less serious consequences.

The problem is, I applied for the job in the community and do not even know what the job is for! I remember filling out the application and I would never apply for child protection so I know it wasn't that but it could be anything! Searched desperately for the job application and specification on my computer but they aren't there.! So I would be like a lamb to the slaughter. I've never done that before and always save all my applications and job specifications after applying. The one time I forgot!!

Going to the interview with cost me money and as I'm so nervous it will use up mental energy too. I'm thinking of just cancelling and really concentrating on the Friday interview. I can't drive so will have to go by taxi to both so will be expensive too.

But then, I might not even get the other job and they may well have an internal applicant they have a view to give that job to. So I could end up with no job offers at the end of it all.

What do you think? Would I be unreasonable not to go to the first interview?

Lilaclily Fri 06-Jan-17 11:12:04

Well it doesn't sound do able to work in the community without a car

PastysPrincess Fri 06-Jan-17 11:14:39

Go to both. It's a few hours of your time and if you do make an idiot out of yourself you'll never have to see them again.

I hate interviews with a passion as they literally make me ill. I've taken a tip from Beyonce though as she performs as Sasha Fierce. So when I go to interviews I go as an alter ego who is everything I am not normally. It's not about being false, it's about presenting the best version of yourself.

You'll be kicking yourself for not going if you dont get the other job.

Lovewineandchocs Fri 06-Jan-17 11:21:13

Where did you see the community work job, was it online? Can you google and maybe get the archive of the ad?

ChilliMum Fri 06-Jan-17 11:26:44

Gô to both you have nothing to loose and everything to gain from interview practice.

user1483698419 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:36:06

Some jobs you can't do without a car like child protection. But it's not impossible. Just much harder.

I'm having driving lessons so I'm hoping to be at test standard in a few weeks. So I will one day (hopefully) be able to drive so don't want it to completely rule my decision.

I saw the job online. Applied for it. I remember there being a very basic job specification and there are 4 positions going so a few people being interviewed and a few different roles. I feel I jus can't find out the information I need to make the interview a success.

I'm the most extroverted person you could find but I hate job interviews.

RogueStar01 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:51:06

can you get the Dr to prescribe betablockers? They helped me. Also, I never think it's a bad thing to be a bit nervous, makes you seem like you actually care about the outcome. I'd go to both personally because you never know which'll turn out to be the better situation in reality until you've talked to to the people.

BirdInTheRoom Fri 06-Jan-17 11:54:01

Just contact them and ask for a copy of the job description so you can prepare for the interview!

user1483698419 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:17:32

I have got beta blockers thankfully. Wouldn't even be able to speak without them.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 06-Jan-17 12:19:59

I think you should go to the first interview. It sounds like you have pretty much written it off on your head so try and see it as an entirely unimportant thing, and just use it to practice.

user1483698419 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:25:38

I am just convincing myself not to go because I'm super nervous. It's actually a really good job.

I've decided to go. I will just hope for the best. One of my biggest issues is I sweat when nervous and that makes me very self conscious. I will just have to smile and try my best to relax.

RogueStar01 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:29:40

wear layers so that it doesn't show through and you can feel confident - a lot of people sweat when nervous, it always feels worse than it looks. My DP has had to give presentations where he's been so anxious he's soaked his shirt, i think mostly you just get cut more slack. Good luck!

KanyeWesticle Fri 06-Jan-17 12:36:12

Get a copy of the job description direct from them. Call and find out about it.
Don't give up at this stage - give it a go. More interview practice, at least, if nothing else.

Lilaclily Fri 06-Jan-17 12:44:29

Good luck op , job decisions are hard and interviews are scary so it will be great experience flowers

KanyeWesticle Thu 19-Jan-17 21:16:30

Did you go, OP? How was it?

Thingsthatmakeugoummmm Thu 19-Jan-17 21:52:40

Just be yourself. I have been interviewing candidates fir social worker jobs this week. We took into account the nervousness of candidates as it's only natural. Especially if going fir a newly qualified role. I think you should go fir the interviews as it's always good experience. Good luck

BlueClearSkies Thu 19-Jan-17 22:05:13

A good interview tip, is to view the interview as you seeing if this is a job you want, as much as the interviewer seeing if they want you.

Think about what you need to know from them to make sure it is the right job for you, make a list of the questions to ask that will give you this information.

Look on their website, they may have the JD's for the jobs that they are recruiting for on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now