Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is a weird New Year message

(45 Posts)
Kr1stina Fri 06-Jan-17 10:16:23

In reply to my [stunningly original ] text " Happy New Year! " I received this from my niece

" 2016 has been my best year ever and I'm hoping to be even more successful in 2017" .

AIBU to think this is odd? Most people just replied with a similar greeting or " hope you and the family are well" . Some sent a snippet of news

" busy year for us as Mary starts her new job in February /we are moving house in the summer / we have a new puppy " .

Is this because I don't understand Young People Today ?

WorraLiberty Fri 06-Jan-17 10:19:41

Sounds like she's about to start flogging Yoonique grin

Roseformeplease Fri 06-Jan-17 10:20:30

MLM alert!

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Fri 06-Jan-17 10:21:37

Barf.envy

YouTheCat Fri 06-Jan-17 10:22:03

Definitely sounds like she's going to start spouting nonsense very soon.

Also, what kind of person doesn't even say 'Happy New Year' back?

AllTheBabies Fri 06-Jan-17 10:23:05

That's hilarious! I suppose if you don't look after number one who else is going to grin

Crispbutty Fri 06-Jan-17 10:24:14

Did it come with a duck face selfie too? grin

Hassled Fri 06-Jan-17 10:25:48

It sounds like she's been shortlisted for The Apprentice or something.

chocolatemademefat Fri 06-Jan-17 10:28:29

I would've texted back - good to know. now get your head out of your arse and wish me a happy new year. Young people today!!!!!!

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 06-Jan-17 10:30:43

Ohh definitely MLM!
"Wow that's great to hear, what made 2016 so good?"
"I ditched the office and became my own boss! I work in my pyjamas and have made so much money I am looking at buying an enormous new house and a yacht! If you are interested I can share the secret of how I did it with you? Come for coffee next week?"

dailyshite Fri 06-Jan-17 10:31:46

I was trying to think where I'd seen this phrase and you're right! It was a Utility Warehouse person grin not the same person, as she isn't young (well she's younger than me but fully fledged adult)

ofhorse Fri 06-Jan-17 10:36:33

Very rude not to wish it back to you. All about her.

What is MLM?

Kr1stina Fri 06-Jan-17 10:41:00

DD says her cousin always talks as if she's on The Apprentice. Not that I would know as I'm an old fogey.

Kr1stina Fri 06-Jan-17 10:42:47

MLM is multi level marketing BTW

I know it's not that as she actually has a very good job in business development , which I believe is a fancy names for sales.

TheMortificadosDragon Fri 06-Jan-17 10:43:09

I just looked up the meaning of MLM as I've come across it today for the first time in two clearly different contexts. Here I think its 'Multi Level Marketing' ie pyramid selling, the other I think was Men love Men. However, I think in the case of the OPs niece, its simply egocentric youth 'Me luvs Me'grin

How old is she, is she doing exams or starting on a career ladder?

ofhorse Fri 06-Jan-17 10:47:36

I was trying to guess... all I could think was Mid Life Meltdown!! But didn't know how old niece was ...

Crispbutty Fri 06-Jan-17 10:49:08

I have a friend who works for utility warehouse, and that's exactly the sort of comment she would reply with too. She got very stroppy with me when I said it was a pyramid scheme.. The way she went on about it, it sounded more like some strange cult.

CitronellaEllaElla Fri 06-Jan-17 10:53:18

grin this has made my morning!

Kr1stina Fri 06-Jan-17 11:03:52

She's 29 and apparently doing very well in her job. She sells accountant, which I assume pays better than Avon.

I only know what MLM is because there's a hilarious thread on MN about it.

nauticant Fri 06-Jan-17 11:08:16

she actually has a very good job in business development , which I believe is a fancy names for sales.

This surely is the complete answer. Hopefully she'll step back from this PROMOTE ME! approach to even the most innocuous of interactions.

DearMrDilkington Fri 06-Jan-17 11:11:35

I'm hoping to be even more successful in 2017

That's brilliantgrin. I'd have just replied "good luck with that".grin

TheAntiBoop Fri 06-Jan-17 11:18:25

How about replying 'good job Donald!'

dollydaydream114 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:23:46

This isn't a Young People Today thing ... sounds more like a People Who Are Massively Full Of Themselves And Need To Chill The Fuck Out thing to me.

You should have replied back and said 'Sorry, I think some of your message was missing! I only got the bit where you told me how great you were, and not the bit that wished me a happy new year too or thanked me for my greeting.'

She totally does sound like someone who would be on The Apprentice.

Kr1stina Fri 06-Jan-17 11:28:34

Nauticant - you are right about "promote me " . When you ask " How's work?" she replies

" Well I'm currently Head Of Sales in the UK and they want to promote me to Head Of Europe. But there's no one senior enough to interview me here so I need to wait until the Chied Executive of the World is in London. So it won't be for a few months yet."

Meanwhile my kids sit sniggering at her ( because they watch The Apprentice - honest subtitles ) and I sip my tea politely and say " that's nice dear " .

DH is well impressed because he's a man and very gullible

paxillin Fri 06-Jan-17 11:32:07

Wow, she'll be promoted to "God" soon enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now