Advanced search

To want to stop this..

(48 Posts)
DizzyBlondeMum2 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:08:09

..we moved into a new build in August. A quiet 'cul de sac' of 5 houses on an unadapted road/private drive in the middle of a bigger estate.

We are responsible for upkeep of the private drive and most of us chose our homes to be on a quiet road without through traffic for one reason or another. For example we have a DS age6 with DS, who has really poor road awareness so it's much safer for him with only immeadiatebneighbours passing.

A new bit of the estate was occupied over Christmas and a number of neighbours we don't know and who don't have responsibility for the drive are now using our drive as a short cut. It's making the road much busier than it should be, and they drive quite fast. Also they're adding wear and tear that we'll have to sort out one day.

Would it be unreasonable to find a way to stop them! How? Suspect they don't realise it's an unadopted road.

Or are we just being entitled?

user1477282676 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:12:22

Can you put a chain across it? One of those ornamental type chains?

confuugled1 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:26:47

A sign at each end to say private road, no right of way?

A 10 mile an hour sign so people have to go slowly so it's not worth their while?

Automatic gates or bollards that all houses get a few opening gadgets for. Might be a pain for deliveries and a cost initially though.

Are you/others around during the day to do a survey of number of vehicles per hour (or quarter hour or whatever is appropriate), broken down into resident's vehicles, legitimate vehicles (postman, tesco delivery, meter reader etc) and rats those using it as a rat run.

If you have an idea of the scale of the problem and if there are any particularly bad times it might help to see if any solutions stand out and how much money is worth throwing at the problem.

I'd also speak to the relevant team st the council to see if they have any suggestions.

Was it designed so that it could be a proper road if more houses were built around it?

If it does become busy, talk to the council about adopting it so at least you won't have the expense of maintaining it - not ideal I know but something to remember if it does get busy.

Littleallovertheshop Thu 05-Jan-17 23:30:06

Chains and signs yes - ultimately you may need to get it adopted though to save cost later on.

BoydCrowdersTeeth Thu 05-Jan-17 23:55:40

Penguin bollards.

TheMortificadosDragon Fri 06-Jan-17 00:15:13

You bought a house with a private drive, you are entitled to keep it so. As the new people presumably are doing this from ignorance, you need to nip this in the bud ASAP before it becomes a habit. Signs as suggested, at least.

Yoarchie Fri 06-Jan-17 00:22:48

Can you close one end so you can only get in/out one way?

IMissGrannyW Fri 06-Jan-17 00:24:45

I was going to say 'penguin bollards' Boyd!!!!

If you can, get the council to adopt it. You'll get more traffic, but it will save you £££s in the long run, and you're likely to get the traffic in any case. It would only take 1 or 2 neighbours to refuse to pay-up to cost you more than it's worth, and your DC will grow up quick and have to get used to other roads in any case.

Italiangreyhound Fri 06-Jan-17 00:37:42

Agree with TheMortificadosDragon Really Dizzy "Or are we just being entitled?"

You are entitled, it is your road.

Those bollard things with a key for access. Signs too.

haveacupoftea Fri 06-Jan-17 00:43:15

Closing one end seems like a good idea.

HorridHenryrule Fri 06-Jan-17 00:56:09

Phone the council and see what they can do about it. There maybe little you can do.

Crumbs1 Fri 06-Jan-17 00:58:05

Much better to teach your child road safety. Why would a 6 year old be out on a roadside without adult supervision anyway?

TimTamTerrier Fri 06-Jan-17 01:08:39

So is this a two-ended road rather than a literal cul-de-sac? The easiest thing to do might be to permanently block the least used exit from the road so that there is no cut through. It could be cheaply done with large planters or similar. Or you could put one or more chicanes on the road to slow traffic down to a snail's pace, that would put non-residents off using it.

HorridHenryrule Fri 06-Jan-17 01:12:05

"I bought a house in the country side why are they building new homes around me. I will protest against the council for them to stop."

I laugh when I hear stories like that. You own a house not the street not the country side a house that's it.

angeldelightedme Fri 06-Jan-17 01:13:39

Is there a right of way ?

TimTamTerrier Fri 06-Jan-17 01:14:15

She does own the road though Horrid, she said so in the OP.

angelikacpickles Fri 06-Jan-17 01:15:29

How can you use a cul de sac as a shortcut?

HorridHenryrule Fri 06-Jan-17 01:51:58

That's where I get confused it's a road shared with other residents that live next door to her. Its not a private road for her alone. It's usually the council that takes care of the road she would have to contact the council first before doing anything.

Breagha85 Fri 06-Jan-17 02:02:03

Henry it's possible for a group of residents to own an area of communal land - from what the OP says this is what had happened here. She is a joint owner with the other four property owners.

TheMysteriousJackelope Fri 06-Jan-17 02:24:21

Horrid the OP and her immediate neighbors own this stretch of road and pay for its upkeep, it is the people who live on another part of the development using it as an unofficial cut through that she objects to. The OP does not have a problem with the other people using the road who have a right to use it.

OP I would buy signs stating it is a private road with no right of way, and ask the Council for cones to block the road at both ends. It will be a pain for a few weeks to move the cones to access your road, but hopefully that will be enough to get the locals to change their driving patterns. If they won't, then ask the council to block one end of the road and, if necessary, to put bollards and chains across the other end.

Manumission Fri 06-Jan-17 03:00:25

We need a sketch smile

mrselizabethdarcy Fri 06-Jan-17 04:59:42

My MIL shares a private road and had this problem - cars using it as a short cut. The neighbours have got together and put in a collapsible bollard. All the road have a key for access but it stops people using it as a cut through.

BIgBagofJelly Fri 06-Jan-17 07:36:33

Definitely block one end with a chain or collapsable bollard. It's your private road so of course you're entitled to keep it private. I wouldn't want people using my drive as a shortcut.

RedHelenB Fri 06-Jan-17 07:48:09

I would get the council to adopt it if you can. Trying to keep people out when it is a shortcut will be a nightmare.

Warning - do not buy houses on unadopted roads - can be a nightmare to sell on!

icy121 Fri 06-Jan-17 07:53:50

The council probably haven't adopted the road bc it wasn't built to Highways Standards (much more expensive for the developer).

Block one end with collapsible bollards, or a locked gate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: