Talk

Advanced search

To think DM needs to un-retire

(10 Posts)
LionRichie Thu 05-Jan-17 19:15:50

DM keeps telling me 'funny' stories that have happened to her but when questioned further, reveals that it was actually something that she saw on You've Been Framed.

She could be using her retirement to make some friends or take up some hobbies or inject some romance into her marriage/drugs. Anything but fucking You've Been Framed!

On the more serious side, AIBU to worry that she is treating Retirement like Death, only with more Harry Hill? We had very little to say to each other back when she was still working and I'm not sure I can cope with 30 years of amusing home video anecdotes (she's 64, although she does describe herself as 'elderly' and 'geriatric').

FaFoutis Thu 05-Jan-17 19:19:52

Be careful what you wish for, my mum became a weightwatchers leader when retirement got too boring for her. Then she took up golf.
'You've been framed' anecdotes sound lovely compared to portion sizes and birdies, whatever they are.

Soubriquet Thu 05-Jan-17 19:20:32

Long as she's happy does it matter?

LionRichie Thu 05-Jan-17 19:21:47

Oh no, there's no happiness! She hates everyone (except Harry Hill and DD)!

JenniferYellowHat1980 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:24:41

I know where you're coming from. My FIL talks only of what he sees on TV (Homes Under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt etc). It boils my piss because my DM died aged just 60 last year. She did so much either her life and there was just as much more she wanted to do. You hit the nail on the head describing it as treating retirement like death.

FaFoutis Thu 05-Jan-17 19:26:00

Watching TV is not usually seen as a fulfilling life in itself. It's like the tragedy of those magazines that pretend soaps are real.

iklboo Thu 05-Jan-17 19:35:43

MIL talks about soap characters like they're real people she knows. We don't watch any soaps do have no idea who she's ranting about that's 'really horrible to her poor husband' or whatever.

pipsqueak25 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:14:38

read this to my dh, he laughed and said " there's no hope for anyone then over the age of 60 [he's 54] "makes me wonder if it's worth living that long, if this is what happens, might as well go and dig a fire and chuck myself in to save the coop the bother, making good pot ash while i'm at it " grin sorry if anyone takes offence but this is our stupid humour !
your dm needs a hobby or something to keep her in touch with the real world and a little less of harry hill. smile
elderly and geriatric at 64 ? good god ! hope she is joking when she says that

pipsqueak25 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:15:37

*dig a fire pit

LionRichie Thu 05-Jan-17 20:40:09

I only she were joking about the elderly thing, but no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now