Talk

Advanced search

To hate Uggs AND doubt MN?! (Partly joking, of course!)

(21 Posts)
Honeypot1 Thu 05-Jan-17 18:54:40

Evening all, a mixed bag AIBU. I may just be terribly unlucky or are Uggs totally awful?! I hate to admit it, but I only splurged on a pair following MN Swearsby thread last Jan, which I received end of Jan. Loved them, let's call them Pair1. i loved them so much I not only swore MN is Boss for all future Swearsby, but also to buy more Uggs in the Black Friday sale. Let's call them Pair2. Also loved them until I noticed the heel was coming apart week 2 of limited wear. I let them know and want an exchange to learn there is no replacement service; I have to send them away to assess whether I've mistreated them or they're faulty. My fault for not checking T&C. Thought common practice was to accept there must be a fault and arrange courier exchange on doorstep (e.g. Habitat).

So I send them back and they have Pair2. And my money until they judge me, sorry, until they judge my boots. Thank goodness I have pair1 to keep me warm, right?! Well no, because within the last week the zip broke on Pair1. To repair would cost £60 (!!!) so I contact Uggs again to say, I'd like to return these too. Only they say they're out of warranty as they run from year of purchase, not when I received my goods. I've had them less than a year! I wouldn't mind but the last time I spent £100+ on a pair of boots they lasted years!

So AIBU to be disappointed with their boots? AIBU to be disappointed with their customer service? I feel so awful that THEY judge whether I'm honestly disappointed with the goods? AIBU to think there must be a history of falsifying claims to get money back or new boots (I'm assuming that's why they're so cagey about trusting customer is always right?)
If IANBU do you have experience or advice with my dealing with them now I've handed over all my cash and have zero wearable winter boots?

Worse still, AIBU to doubt MN Swearsby Thread?! ;o) Either way, I need AFFORDABLE winter boots, pronto! If not Uggs, who?

(Making this go viral so I can link this to them would be appreciated!)

Pettywoman Thu 05-Jan-17 19:00:12

I have Costco Kirkland proper sheepskin 'Uggs'. Cost about £35 and have lasted 8 years with lots of wear. I'd never buy Uggs.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 05-Jan-17 19:03:46

I've got 3 pairs of Uggs. The oldest pair are on their 7th Winter and still as good as new.

I love my Uggs.

kel12345 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:05:48

I'd love a pair of triple button uggs. The only problem is my coat is black, but I love the chestnut colour uggs.

WinterIsHereJon Thu 05-Jan-17 19:07:41

I've had mine for years. Only just starting to look tired!

Honeypot1 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:10:11

Thank you! Fairy, are yours the original style or with zips? The cobbler intimated their pull ins made them famous but the zipped designs aren't well made? Petty, I normally go for value options, which is why I'm so disappointed! To not be satisfied once, ok. But now I want to warn the world that not only do their products fail, but when they do their customer service is really not great. No boots and no love. Some brands get too big for their boots perhaps?! Tee hee he!

QueenofallIsee Thu 05-Jan-17 19:11:02

It's funny, my first pair of UGG lasted about 8 years. Pair 2 (same design, colour and height) lasted barely 2 years! Was cross but chalked it up to experience and bought some biker style boots instead.

QueenofallIsee Thu 05-Jan-17 19:12:10

Mine were classic style

19lottie82 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:12:14

I've got a pair of classics and also a pair of more "solid" boots. Had them for 2 and 3 years respectively, not had any problems with them and they're still going strong.

Borntoflyinfirst Thu 05-Jan-17 19:39:57

I had classics first - last 4 winters, then a pair of the thicker soled biker style which lasted about the same. 3rd pair again with thicker bottoms on 3rd winter and nowhere near worn out yet. I've just got a thinner soles leather pair of ankle boots which I wouldn't imagine would last as long. I am hard on all footwear though for some reason - everything wears out! I do a lot of walking and must be heavy footed!

Thecatmademedoit Thu 05-Jan-17 22:59:03

That return policy seems odd of them - did you buy directly from Ugg?

I ask because I'll avoid doing so in future as they don't seem very fair !

I bought mine from office and noticed a hole near the seam after a few weeks of light wear. I took them back to office who replaced them with new immediately.

Honeypot1 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:34:34

Thanks again everyone! So, I think IANBU for disappointment in product, as it normally should last over a year and IANBU to be disappointed in customer service. Irks me the more I think about it, if I'd not bought direct from Uggs, I'd be able to return to store for replacement. Dealing directly with them has been to my disadvantage, as they take my boots leaving my boot fund empty, and cold feet! Someone asked today whether I'm sure I'm dealing with the brand, or could I have used a ghost website that's selling sub-standard boots, offering sub-standard customer service. So I'm Really worried now; I have proof of postage of pair2 (most recently purchased and returned promptly) but am wondering whether I'll ever hear from them again now?! I was hoping for viral-DM worthy AIBU thread to assist my customer service but I'm now wondering whether I should be asking legal?! In the correspondence from them today (where I'd asked for details on how to return pair1 as I no longer have the box, paperwork etc). They responded with standard paragraphs from previous message saying I can send them but then they assess them, they may not give money back and it's all to managers discretion. And that I "purchased" 03/01/16. They clearly broke before I emailed 04/01/17 as I'd had to go and get quotes for repair. It's dodge they judge warranty from when they took my money, not when I received goods, right?! Honestly Ugg lovers, you're so lucky! I've never felt more let down by hype over a brand sad

WorraLiberty Fri 06-Jan-17 17:44:19

Loved them, let's call them Pair1

Let's call them Pair2

Why can't we call them Bob and Barbara? sad

Honeypot1 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:47:15

Worra, thank you! That really made me smile, this dark, damp cold evening whilst my feet sit like blocks of ice, yearning for the warmth and comfort of a good quality boot wink

Personally, I was thinking of Bastard and Bollocks but wasn't sure if that's the done thing? smile

RestlessTraveller Fri 06-Jan-17 19:16:48

Apart from being so fucking ugly I would never buy Uggs for the same reason I would never wear fur.

DailyFail1 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:20:07

My fake Uggs lasted longer than the real ones I eventually replaced them with. Don't trust Uggs at all.

Honeypot1 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:23:54

Thanks Restless, I must admit, it took me YEARS and several MN Swearsby threads before I even contemplated buying them for the same reason. So I did research their fur policy before purchase. I think I wanted to believe they are humane but it always played at the back of my mind.

Can you recommend any other warm, sturdy, comfy, don't fall apart and better-than-Uggs customer service type Boots? I would probably wear 3-4 time a week in winter, so not excessive usage.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 06-Jan-17 19:36:45

I brought a pair of classic tall uggs 3 winters ago and they are still going great. They look a bit shabbier (my fault, I keep forgetting to treat them) but they are still as functional and warm as always.

I have noticed this year the heel is beginning to wear a bit unevenly. Can they be re-soled does anyone know?

Birdsgottafly Fri 06-Jan-17 19:52:58

It depends on what style you wore.

I've swapped to a pair of Sketchers boots. I've worn them at least four times a week, since November.

seasidesally Fri 06-Jan-17 20:43:14

Ugg ???

ive bought the Bailey Boot and bought the after care spray etc,does anybody know how often to treat them with the protect spray

thanks

Honeypot1 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:52:19

I'd say before the zip breaks or the heel peels off grin

I'm so jealous of you right now!!! envywink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now