Talk

Advanced search

to be furious at this school run parking nightmare woman?

(328 Posts)
missced Thu 05-Jan-17 15:54:00

So, excuse me while I try to calm down..... it has only just happened you see! angry. Usual scenario,, busy residential street, school run parking at a premium. I always scrupulously avoid parking over residents driveway exits where there is a single dropped kerb. I have just been told off by some van driver's wife (house has four cars parked out front) for parking over part of their double dropped kerb. Their kerb is twice the size of everyone else's, no doubt to feed their car collecting fetish, but my point is, as I made politely to her, that I had left an exit for her. It just wasn't the one she wanted to use. I know tempers get inflamed at these times, but our local situation is terrible, and I try my best not to upset anyone. I used to live on the same road, it's a small community, and I don't want to be unreasonable but this woman was so condescending and entitled and told me off like a six year old with a toileting problem. If it was a question of access for pushchairs, wheelchairs or the blind it would be different. Why should she assume she can have two free spaces on the street outside her house when everyone else gets one? I am looking forward to tomorrow's parking battle shock.

Birdsgottafly Thu 05-Jan-17 15:58:22

"I don't want to be unreasonable but this woman was so condescending and entitled and told me off like a six year old with a toileting problem""

I usually stop people like her with "who the fuck do you think you're talking to, you entitled twat".

You won't be able to reason with her. Stand your ground, you've got the right to park there.

NoraDora Thu 05-Jan-17 15:58:45

You aren't supposed to park over a dropped kerb. She was right.

UrethaFranklin Thu 05-Jan-17 16:00:17

It doesn't matter whether the dropped kerb was double sized or not, you shouldn't have parked over it whether you left her an exit or not. YABU.

Trifleorbust Thu 05-Jan-17 16:00:24

There weren't spaces outside her house. It is a dropped kerb so no-one should be parking there.

Wibblywobblyfoo Thu 05-Jan-17 16:00:43

You parked over their dropped curb?

SarahOoo Thu 05-Jan-17 16:00:47

Why should she assume she can have two free spaces on the street outside her house when everyone else gets one?

If she has a double drop kerb she's applied and paid for the privilege. She can assume it as she has that right.

For all you know those vehicles are in use a few times a day and you blocked her drive. She could have been nicer for sure but next time just don't do it.

I drive around for meetings in my role and will never block a drive, drop kerb or not.

HelenaWay Thu 05-Jan-17 16:00:57

YABU.

I would also be pissed off if I was her.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Thu 05-Jan-17 16:01:29

You don't get to decide how a big a driveway she needs for access. You shouldn't park over a dropped curb.

Sirzy Thu 05-Jan-17 16:01:35

So you blocked her in by parking over the drive? Yabu

mintthins Thu 05-Jan-17 16:02:05

YABU. Not your call to make. It is a dropped kerb, and you should not be parking over it. Either walk to school, or get there early enough to ensure you can park legally.

EthelEgbert Thu 05-Jan-17 16:02:20

Well she was a twat but you shouldn't park on a dropped curb. Sorry. I know it's a nightmare.

lunchboxtroubles Thu 05-Jan-17 16:02:29

If it's dropped you shouldn't park over it. End of. you're the unreasonable one.

Christmassnake Thu 05-Jan-17 16:02:57

What's a dropped kerb?...like the end of someone's drive ?

Crazycatladyloz82 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:03:19

She was right, you have no right to park over a dropped kerb even if it a double dropped kerb. As someone who up until recently lived on a busy street and every cheeky fucker thought it was perfectly acceptable to park across our dropped kerb to fetch something from the shop quickly and every other reason under the sun which would inconvenience me I feel for her not you! Friends who visited us parked across our dropped kerb, the dropped kerb we paid a substantial amount for, yet so often they had to drive off and not visit because someone was parked across it. It is the main reason we moved!

oldbirdy Thu 05-Jan-17 16:03:34

I got called out of a meeting in a school once by an entitled git upset that I had parked opposite his driveway. This was not blocking him in in any way but meant he couldn't park his spare car on his own dropped kerb. When I came out to move my car, he was actually parked in a free space directly next to his drive, but wanted to reverse 10 feet and thought this was important enough to make a point about. Dick.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 05-Jan-17 16:04:29

YABU. You can't park infront of a dropped curb no matter how big or small it is. Find somewhere legal to park next time.

doodlejump1980 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:06:08

You parked over part of her drive. She was correct to challenge you. Bet there's a big dropped kerb outside the fire station... You going to park over that too? YABU. Hope that helps <head tilt>

mollyblack Thu 05-Jan-17 16:06:16

You have to get permission and pay a council approved contractor a small fortune for a dropped kerb, and even more money for a double. So she does have the right to have that space clear.

I live by a school. It's rotten when people block me in or out, and I hate having to confront people, especially when they are really arsey about moving so that I can go to work/the doctor/ anything!

TheMasterNotMargarita Thu 05-Jan-17 16:07:05

She's not assuming she gets 2 free spaces. She has a double dropped kerb to allow access for her 4 parking spaces on her driveway. Presumably which she had to pay for.
YABU to park across someone's driveway regardless of the number of vehicles they have space for.
And their car collecting fetish isn't really relevant.

Brightsmoke Thu 05-Jan-17 16:07:35

As PP says, she has paid for the dropped curb, so she is entitled to have full use of it. The van of drivers wife might struggle to get in/out at the angle that was left for them from your parking. If they are blocked from exiting their drive, they would be within their rights to call the police who would get your vehicle towed for causing an obstruction. YABU

PatriciaHolm Thu 05-Jan-17 16:10:43

She is entitled, she has a dropped kerb! You shouldn't have parked over it, not even for the "5 minutes" it takes to collect from school. She's probably irate because inconsiderate parents do it every day.

OhSuckItUpDucky Thu 05-Jan-17 16:10:44

You are in the wrong

Softkitty2 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:10:45

Yabu. She has a dropped kerb and she can choose whatever car she wants to drive and not the one you have chosen to leave unblocked.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 05-Jan-17 16:11:13

Yabu. Hth. Perhaps she spoke to you like a six year old because, like a child, you are unwilling to accept blame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now