Talk

Advanced search

Aibu or have I been had.

(24 Posts)
Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 15:28:53

1st time in 30 years I have got a parking ticket.

I apparently had a parking ticket put under my windscreen wiper but when I returned to my vehicle an hour later it was gone. So I was none the wiser till the post came today nearly 6 weeks later

I have just received the PCN through the post and have got the photos.

Apparently I was parked in a suspended bay. The only problem is the lamp post nearest my car which has all the parking charges on and you can see on the photo didn't have anything on it to say that parking was suspended the parking suspension notice is on a lamp post at the beginning of the road.

I feel like I have been had. I know I won't be able to challenge it because I have gone over the time limit of 14 days. But aibu to think it is very unfair to put the notice on a different sign to where it should be and like they are trying to catch you out.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 15:30:59

Should add for clarity it was only the 3 bays at the end of the road that were suspended not the bays that the parking suspension notice was placed above.

MaidOfStars Thu 05-Jan-17 15:34:39

Who issued the ticket?

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 15:50:01

Council

AnUtterIdiot Thu 05-Jan-17 15:54:03

If the PCN arrived today, you should still have time to challenge. Usually the ticket on the car gives you the option of paying a reduced fine early within 14 days (or whatever). If you want to challenge the fine you have to wait for the PCN which tells you how to make representations. Unless it's somehow been stuck in the post for six weeks?

anannoyinglylongusername Thu 05-Jan-17 15:55:42

Definately dispute it. I had a ticket for parking in a pay for bay with no ticket. but the ticket machine was no where to be seen. Turns out it was the other side of a block of flats but I had no way to know.

I disputed it and got it cancelled

booklooker Thu 05-Jan-17 15:57:00

A lot of MNers show a healthy level of contempt for parking fines.

But there are times when they are justified.

booklooker Thu 05-Jan-17 15:58:28

Turns out it was the other side of a block of flats but I had no way to know.

That just sounds ludicrous

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 15:59:01

The "incident" occurred November 27th. So 5weeks3 days.

AlpacaPicnic Thu 05-Jan-17 15:59:43

Have you got anything to lose by challenging it? Its worth a try if it's not going to cost you.

MaidOfStars Thu 05-Jan-17 16:05:54

the parking suspension notice is on a lamp post at the beginning of the road
Is this the only way to access the road i.e. does one have to drive past this notice? Is the notice big enough and the typeface adequate to see clearly? What about in dark conditions? Is the language unambiguous?

PerspicaciaTick Thu 05-Jan-17 16:15:28

I didn't think they tucked parking tickets under windscreen wipers anymore. I thought they used a sticky plastic wallet thing stuck to the windscreen?

PuppyMonkey Thu 05-Jan-17 16:36:36

I don't really understand what a suspended parking bay is tbh blush, but if there was no clear notice to explain, could you go back today/tomorrow and take some photos of the scene. Also, you must do a DIAGRAM for them and for us grin

anannoyinglylongusername Thu 05-Jan-17 16:39:42

booklooker I know! No sign to say where it was. I was parked one side of the flats and the meter was on the other..

SilkThreads Thu 05-Jan-17 17:16:30

I was ticketed 4mins after I parked to attend a JobCentre (compulsory) interview.
I have a blue badge which was displayed.
The 'reason' was 'parking in a loading bay'.
I was outside a Church.
I challenged it.
Got a 'no' back from Council - reason: 'no time badge on display''.
True enough, I live in Scotland (parked in England) and forgot I needed one here.
Now been told have to pay full £70.

It stinks.

Best bit? The Jobcentre person was not there. They'd cocked up the appointment. I had a 30miles round trip and it cost me £70.

OP, I feel your pain.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 17:49:30

Yes it is a one way street but if a van or 4x4 type vehicle is parked infront of that particular lamp post there is no way of seeing it.

I parked in a bay and looked at the corresponding lamppost with the pay and display details. As can be seen on the photo there was no notice.

A suspended bay is where you can normally park but for instance roadworks/filming are going to be taking place on a certain date then you will not be able to park there

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 17:55:01

Friend got done by CCTV when she parked in a disabled bay. She is disabled and her badge was showing correctly but the CCTV could only see the back of her vehicle.

This has happened more than once and as she says it is the complete waste of her time disputing it and now has to take pictures of her vehicle showing the badge and the signage before she leaves her vehicle.

SilkThreads Thu 05-Jan-17 18:05:49

that's interesting *Oliversmumsarmy'.

I might ask them to show me the photo then?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 05-Jan-17 19:20:06

My dh got a ticket in a car park that was next to a hotel but not actually owned by the hotel, even though they recommended it to guests. There was one sign the other side of the car park but he'd already paid the hotel a parking fee so he thought that was it. We immediately disputed it. We used the letter template from Money Saving Expert's website to point out that he had paid for parking and wasn't trying to avoid paying, and that the signage was inadequate, and enclosed lots of photos of the sign and the car park and his parking receipt. They waived the parking ticket as they could see that he'd already paid. Would it be worth you trying this? Can you go back and take a picture of the signage?

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 21:39:34

This was neary 6 weeks ago. It was only a one day suspension. The photos show that the signage about parking nearest the car did not have any suspension notice on it. The suspension notice was placed at the other end of the road which if a van was parked in from of it then short of squeezing yourself between van and lamppost then you wouldn't be able to see it.

Spoke to parking and was told I could not only appeal but also given that the ticket was not on the car I could also if I do not win the appeal ask for a reduction in the ticket cost.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 05-Jan-17 21:41:56

Well that's a start I suppose. Still bloody unfair though.

Dilligaf81 Thu 05-Jan-17 21:44:40

Surely every individual bay that is affected has to have a notice on it ?
Id look that up and use it for your appeal.

CondensedMilkSarnies Thu 05-Jan-17 21:49:40

Have you seen this about parking fines grin

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gkiw7zpULo

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Jan-17 22:15:42

Love it 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now