Talk

Advanced search

To ask about giant knitting?

(59 Posts)
igotnotimeforthis Thu 05-Jan-17 13:22:14

I'm posting here for traffic really, apologies
I'd like to make a giant knitted blanket -anyone done that? Or knows what I'm talking about?
Where to you get the yarn (or what's it called when it so thick?) and giant knitting needles?
If i look for needles online - what would be the size nr?
Thanks

Rosae Thu 05-Jan-17 13:25:36

I think you'd probably have to order those things online. Have you looked at arm knitting rather than using needles?

Rainydayspending Thu 05-Jan-17 13:27:05

I think if you google extreme knitting.

5foot5 Thu 05-Jan-17 13:28:18

How giant is giant? Sorry I don't know the answer but am terribly intrigues by the question. grin

Lateralthinker2016 Thu 05-Jan-17 13:42:08

I've seen people knit with their arms instead of knitting needles (YouTube) shockand make a blanket in about an hour... Impressive really smile

Borisrules Thu 05-Jan-17 14:19:28

www.notonthehighstreet.com/woolcouture/product/luxury-chunky-blanket-knitting-kit-learnt-to-knit

pigsDOfly Thu 05-Jan-17 14:24:17

Do you have a proper knitting or craft shop in your town OP?

If you do pop in and ask all your question, most people who work in those sort of shops are an absolute fountain of knowledge and will happily help with all your queries.

pithivier Thu 05-Jan-17 14:54:13

Have a look at Arm knitting . My Dd who has never made anything has just started this. Be warned though, it is very expensive. I have just ordered fom her, Debbie Bliss Super Chunky from the Wool Warehouse. Enough for an armchair throw was £125'

ph0ebe Thu 05-Jan-17 14:57:09

There is a YouTuber who does massive knitting & sells the wool - its insanely expensive!!
Please let me know if you find a cheap way of doing it

SerialReJoiner Thu 05-Jan-17 14:59:54

I'm dubious about the merino wool, tbh. I've worked with wool roving/tops before (which is what these blankets are using instead of spun yarn) and it is amazingly soft, but it also pulls out of shape easily, and gets fluff/dust/dirt stuck in it very easily. Basically, there is a good reason why raw wool tops are spun into yarn before knitting. It gives the wool durability and strength, allowing the fibres to grab hold of each other in the cool way wool can (eg, felting). I would worry that a blanket knitted with wool roving would just fall apart and /or end up covered in dirt that can't be cleaned off without it being ruined.

debucnik Thu 05-Jan-17 15:05:04

I found that you can easily and quickly finger knit really cheap double knit wool in to good chunky strands which you can then arm knit with not sure if it would work with chunky needles tho as the new strands are kind of loose if you see what I mean.

triskellionoflegs Thu 05-Jan-17 15:06:38

I'd get a book on giant knitting, I've seen several, which should answer most questions. If the recommended yarn is really expensive, you can substitute something cheaper that knits to the same tension/gauge. Or you can use several strands at once of a thinner yarn, to get up to the thickness you need.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 05-Jan-17 15:08:17

I know an artist who works with humungous knitting needles controlled by levers but perhaps that's not what you're talking about!

Could not agree more with the pp who cautioned against merino wool for this. People are very snotty about acrylic and acrylic/wool blends but trust me, if your blanket is going to get heavy use it is well worth investigating the naicer acrylic/ acrylic blends.

Don't overlook the possibility of knitting with two strands of chunky wool for EVEN MORE CHUNK, by the way...

AnUtterIdiot Thu 05-Jan-17 15:10:08

Just googled giant knitting. I'm obviously nothing like the crafter I thought I was because this particular species of knitting is new to me. Looks a bit tiring, although I totally see the appeal of finishing a blanket in an hour

tucks stack of unfinished blankets under newspaper

AnUtterIdiot Thu 05-Jan-17 15:10:51

I reckon you'd want, like, 20mm needles. Have you tried Etsy?

triskellionoflegs Thu 05-Jan-17 15:12:10

I haven't read this, but it looks helpful for what you need - a smaller project might be wise to start with?:

www.rylandpeters.com/big-needle-knits

Suze1621 Thu 05-Jan-17 15:12:34

Not sure is this is giant enough but try copying and pasting link below - video instructions and free downloadable pattern for chunky knit blanket. Uses 25mm circular knitting needle (readily available on line) and chunky wool, 2 strands together to get thickness. I am going to have a go at this as a gift for my daughter's new house.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZed0uCrzkY

RaisingSteam Thu 05-Jan-17 15:15:00

This sort of thing? I would look at a mega chunky yarn. Say 25mm needles, may be easier to handle on a circular "needle" rather than literally knitting with broomsticks. this? or this?

HookandSwan Thu 05-Jan-17 15:24:28

Try stich and story they do lovely thick bambo Knitting needles and soft chunky wool

PitilessYank Thu 05-Jan-17 15:27:51

I have been eyeing up giant knitting material on etsy for months. I'd like to knit up a rug, but I am dubious about how easy it would be to walk upon.

I have been working on a giant macrame project, though...

ph0ebe Thu 05-Jan-17 15:41:17

Wow that looks like rope yank? What are you making?

chickenowner Thu 05-Jan-17 15:53:01

I've got some huge knitting needles and have made some cushion covers knitting with strips of old blankets. I bought them from Ingrid Wagner...

ingridwagner.com/

EggysMom Thu 05-Jan-17 15:54:16

Before I google and youtube to find out the answer ... Arm knitting? If it is how I imagine, how on earth due you put it down for 5 minutes to have a brew?

TheMouseInMyPocket Thu 05-Jan-17 16:01:42

I've made a blanket using 2 x 4 kg balls of acrylic from woollymahoosive.com (can't afford the merino!). I'm a crocheter rather than knitter though, and used a 35 mm hook. The dog loves it wink

PitilessYank Thu 05-Jan-17 16:01:48

Yes, ph0ebe, it is a cotton rope, about 3/4 inch in diameter! I am making a wall hanging for my stairwell area. It will be about 3feet by 5feet when finished.

Thanks for asking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now