Talk

Advanced search

My DH constant chewing is driving me crazy!

(9 Posts)
PonyPals Thu 05-Jan-17 11:29:58

My DH constantly has a chewing gum in his mouth... and I mean constantly! As soon as he is finished a meal he pops a chewy as soon as that one loses flavour in goes another.
Not only do I hate the sound of his chewing but I am very worried about the state of his teeth.
He has always had problems with his teeth and I can't help but think that the fake sugar that's always in his mouth is making his teeth worse!
I have raised this discussion many many times and each time he acts like a little boy being told off.
Tried pointing out the facts, tried joking around, tried begging for him to stop.
I actually think he is addicted.
I just don't know what to do. Had a google to see if there are any adverse side effects but couldn't find any.
So, AIBU should i just let him be?

steff13 Thu 05-Jan-17 11:32:30

Chewing sugar free gum increases saliva, which reduces plaque acid and can strengthen your teeth.

BIgBagofJelly Thu 05-Jan-17 11:32:59

Not sure if YABU but this would drive me to distraction. On a recent family long car journey (five of us in the car) I deliberately took my FiL's jumbo box of chewing gum out before we set off, as I didn't think I could handle being stuck in a box for five hours with people constantly chewing. So if YABU I guess I am too. (In my defence I bought everyone treats at the service station to atone for my sins)

Thebookswereherfriends Thu 05-Jan-17 11:33:19

Wasn't there a football manager who needed an operation on his jaw from excessive chewing on gum? That would be really irritating, I chew gum, but usually just for a bit after a meal.

BIgBagofJelly Thu 05-Jan-17 11:34:12

I would worry about the state of your husband's stomach if he's constantly ingesting sugar free stuff (it often has a laxative effect and is generally quite bad for you) but I don't really know how it affects the teeth.

Gottagetmoving Thu 05-Jan-17 11:34:51

People don't have to chew in a way that is annoying. Ask him to chew with his mouth closed and not make a noise. grin

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 05-Jan-17 11:35:28

Is he secretly smoking? That's what I used to do - got through loads. Now. No smoking, no chewing 🙂

PonyPals Thu 05-Jan-17 11:40:43

He quit smoking about a year ago and I think has replaced the smokes with chewing gum.
Just worried what it's doing to his teeth but it is better than smoking.

LivingInMidnight Thu 05-Jan-17 11:44:38

Maybe his mouth is dry? His teeth will be fine, it's the TMJ joint that might not be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now