Talk

Advanced search

Witnessed an accident

(17 Posts)
twosleepstillchristmas Thu 05-Jan-17 00:21:51

More a wwyd than aibu. Crossing the road to my sons school today and I saw a car reversing, heard a plasticy crunch and looked over to see he had reversed into the front of another car. I collected my son from the playground and walked back toward my car and saw that the car had pulled forward and the driver was getting out, he didnt look at the car he had hit and walked away. Once he was out of sight I discretely took a picture on my phone of his car and then of the other car once he had collected his child and left, there appears little damage to the other car that I could see although I think the bumper is slightly out of line. Wwyd, it's a very small school and the last thing I want is to create any bad feeling, I'm a newcomer to the area and it's already quite clicky.

LittleMissUpset Thu 05-Jan-17 00:29:47

Perhaps you could leave a note in school for the car that he bumped into, so they can let them know?

Bailey101 Thu 05-Jan-17 00:46:39

If the bumpers out of line, it could end up being a pretty big repair job. I agree that leaving a note with the schools probably the best way to do it.

JustAnotherPoster00 Thu 05-Jan-17 00:51:31

Contact the police, the driver who walked away was committing an offence under section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 05-Jan-17 01:00:59

I would leave a note on the windscreen of the damaged car, with the number plate of the car that did the damage.

NOt long ago, I had a horrible little accident - I was just about to get Ds2 out of his carseat, when I heard the handbrake pop off and the car started to roll down the slight slope, couldn't stop it, obvs, so it hit the parked car in front. TINY little ding in their back bumper, barely noticeable - but I did the decent thing and left a note. Brand new sodding jeep as well. Anyway, they put it through their insurance and it was a whole new back bumper (plastic) - cost about $800. sad
So minuscule apparent damage can often = a lot more than it appears; so shop the ignorant sod who did it.

Bunnyfuller Thu 05-Jan-17 01:04:35

The person who bumped the other vehicle has 24 hrs to report the incident or he's broken the law. The pp idea about leaving a note is a good one. Make it clear you have photographic evidence as someone who is happy to not leave details might possibly deny being there.

twosleepstillchristmas Thu 05-Jan-17 09:35:55

Spoke to the school today, they can't do anything as it happened on the road, recommend 101. I've tried that and after 15 minutes in a queue I've given up! May try again later.

wasonthelist Thu 05-Jan-17 10:28:43

I left a note when I saw someone blatantly do this to a parked car and just flip off in a multi-story car park.

Not sure what you mean by it being cliquey? Some really rough places around here would frown on "grassing" but I don't give a flip about that - "cliquey" always sounds a bit twee and posh to me - if that's the case why would they worry?

Jennyfromthehood Thu 05-Jan-17 10:36:02

Definitely leave a note. I would be so appreciative of you for doing that if it was my car

BlackeyedSusan Thu 05-Jan-17 10:39:12

same happened to me. saw it happen. got the number. handed in to the nearest shop. they recognised the car as local and found the driver.

Kirstyinnorway Thu 05-Jan-17 10:41:18

My sister's car was reversed into in a car park - the driver sped off, but luckily an off-duty police officer saw it happen, recorded the offender's registration plate, left a note on DSis car and by the time she got back to the car park, a police case had been opened and they'd actually caught the woman that did it! It was so lucky as the small dent actually turned out to have broken the automatic window on one side and it was a costly repair.

Leave a note or drop past your local police station to dodge the queue! It's worth doing, you'll make the victim's day! (I know 'victim' is a bit strong, can't think of the right word)

FromIbizaToTheNorfolkBroads Thu 05-Jan-17 10:42:23

If it's a car you see there every day go back and leave a note for the owner explaining what you witnessed and the registration of the other car.

Someone did this for me years ago when they saw a lorry clip my parked car. I was very grateful.

MimiSunshine Thu 05-Jan-17 10:43:01

Try 101 again and write a note with the details so you can keep an eye out for the damaged car at pick up. Then leave the note for them.

My friend told me she accidentally bumped another car in the car park but drive off without leaving a note (apparently barely noticeable damage). A month later some did the same to her but quite severe damage and she was raging about how awful the mystery person was. I can't help feeling that karma is a bitch 😉

Touchmybum Thu 05-Jan-17 11:00:28

I once saw this happen in a car park. I took the reg of the car of the car driving off, and a note of make/colour etc. I left a note on the windscreen with my number on it as a witness, but I never heard any more about it. I couldn't let that go though. It's such a shitty thing to do to someone.

CadleCrap Thu 05-Jan-17 11:01:59

I had a minor accident at a traffic light. I stopped for a red, the person behind me didn't. It was a less than 5 mph crash. There was no apparent damage to either car; however, when I got home I discovered the inside of the boot was completely crumpled. My car was beyond economic repair. Luckily, I insisted on him giving me his drivers licence number and I took his registration.

Crumple zones are there for a reason, just not obvious at first glance.

Clandestino Thu 05-Jan-17 11:06:51

I would take a picture, note down the registration of the car that did the hit and run and let the other person know. I would also report it to the Gardai.
I don't understand this question at all. What would you do? The right thing, obviously. There's a person who suffered a damage to their car, you can't say how much the repairs will cost and you are the person who can save them lots of hassle.

Tiggles Thu 05-Jan-17 11:31:57

Put a note on the damaged car. I was gutted once to come out from dropping son into nursery at school (5mins max) to find someone had reversed into my car and driven off. I couldn't afford to repair the damage.

I've put a note on someones car in a carpark when seen someone hit them and drive off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now