Talk

Advanced search

To ask has anyone been sterilised and regretted it?

(14 Posts)
Jennyfromthehood Wed 04-Jan-17 22:22:08

Or partner has been sterilised and regretted it?

I've got 2 kids, I don't want anymore. I would like to be sterilised as I don't get on with any forms of contraception except condoms.

My friends say I will regret it, that I may yearn for a child in a few years, that I may split with with my DH and want more with another man?

So has anyone done it and regretted it?

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Wed 04-Jan-17 22:31:29

I was sterilised at 35, after having two DC - best thing I ever did... smile. I've never regretted it for a moment.

Jennyfromthehood Wed 04-Jan-17 22:34:14

Is it painful?

rollonthesummer Wed 04-Jan-17 22:34:31

Do they do a sterilisation as a day stay? Is it painful afterwards?

AlisonS13 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:42:26

22 years ago I was sterilised as a day case and had mild discomfort for about 24 hours.
I just set up my bedroom with TV, and a supply of tea and biscuits and I was fine the next day.

AlisonS13 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:43:31

Also, I never once regretted it.
In fact it took a lot of troubles with contraception methods away.

aprilanne Wed 04-Jan-17 22:48:37

i was sterilised 16 ears ago when youngest son a baby ,i severely regret it .my periods were all over the shop for years and i have been yearning another baby badly .now to old at 46 but i wish i had another baby after number 3 .it was a bit painfull but recovered quickly .

Sweetpea80 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:50:07

I was sterilised during a c-section 12 years ago. My marriage then broke down but remarried last month.
My DD turned one last month too so I def regretted it as we had to go through IVF privately to have her.
Only you know if it's right for you. At the time I thought it was the right choice but you never know what the future holds for you.

Prompto Wed 04-Jan-17 22:50:53

A family member decided to get sterilised on the basis that he and his wife already had three children and didn't want any more. She was going to get it done but he volunteered because it was a less invasive procedure. Two years later she decided that, actually, she did want another baby after all. They couldn't get it reversed on the NHS and couldn't afford to go private so she left him in order to be able to have more children with a new partner (his best friend it turns out, they had two children together). He met a new partner too but they couldn't have children together and it caused a lot of tension.

Obviously that's an extreme case but it's something to consider.

DH is going for the snip, hopefully some time this year. Physically I can't have any more children, it would be far too high risk, and DH doesn't want any more children regardless of what happens in future so even if we split up and met new partners there'd be no more children.

HelsBels5000 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:54:57

I was sterilised during c-section with DC3. I've since had laser ablation done to cure my ridiculously heavy periods, so I'm doubly sterile if you like! I still yearn for another baby.......

Steamgirl Wed 04-Jan-17 22:57:52

I was sterilised after no.2. Never regretted it for a minute.

CharlieSierra Wed 04-Jan-17 22:59:12

I was sterilised at 31 during my 3rd C section. I haven't regretted it from the point of having more children but I did have an early menopause and was told that tubal ligation may have been a contributing factor. I think opinions on this differ, but the doctor who said it was shocked I hadn't been warned.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 04-Jan-17 23:03:30

I know males that have regretted it due it going wrong and being in constant pain.
A few that that have regretted it because they then split up as the partner wanted more kids.
And a a couple of men that regret it as there partners pressured them into doing it and then left them.

user1480946351 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:14:28

Wasn't sterilised but DP was. Best thing we ever did, was great for our relationship...loads more sex, no worries about yet another pregnancy (we have several children but lots more losses).
Can't imagine ever regretting it. When you know, you know, I think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now