Talk

Advanced search

To think fake "niceness" from shop assistants cringey....

(41 Posts)
tinglyfing Wed 04-Jan-17 21:40:00

Just that really.
I'm ship today and the woman who served me had clearly had scripted greetings to relay along lines of "Thank you for your purchase have a lovely afternoon". She barely made eye contact with me and obviously couldn't be arsed with it. Cringey for them and the customer? 😕

tinglyfing Wed 04-Jan-17 21:40:58

In shop!

daquee101 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:42:08

Yes I was in Russell and Bromley this eve and she kept calling me darling in every sentence. Mind you, DS was putting snack crumbs all over the sofa in there so I can cut her some slack.

HecateAntaia Wed 04-Jan-17 21:45:26

Yup.
But they don't have a choice. They can get a rollocking.

In my ideal world every shop would have two lines

Queue here for social chit chat

Queue here to complete your purchase in silence apart from being told the price. Seriously, you don't even have to say hi.

I'd so be in the second queue 😁

nancy75 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:46:54

I think it's very unlikely that Russell & Bromley tell their staff to call customers darling!

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 04-Jan-17 21:50:23

I hope my customers aren't put off by my niceness. I'm just genuinely a friendly person.

tinglyfing Wed 04-Jan-17 21:53:57

I love genuine goood! I just mean the obviously forced repeating of scripted banter. Makes me head tilt for the poor staff who have to churn it out all day....

StrawberrySquash Wed 04-Jan-17 21:54:37

Genuine niceness and conversation is nice. Fake stuff delivered unconvincingly, I'd rather you didn't bother. It's embarrassing. Just do the necessary please and thank you and that's fine.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 04-Jan-17 21:54:49

Really? Clearly you're not shopping in my area.

Round here the shop assistants treat you like scum. You ve the shop knowing you're worthless.

And don't get me started on the haunted look they give you when you ask for a bag.

DailyFaily Wed 04-Jan-17 21:54:50

Yeah, I agree, there's definitely a drive in some shops to enforce conversation with the customer. The sales assistants in Next always now ask me if I've got much more shopping to do. There are some people who chat on with customers naturally because that's in their nature and that's fine and lovely, but when they're quite obviously just saying it because they've been told to then I agree it's uncomfortable and I just feel bad for them (and me!). The worst example is our corner shop where the assistants have started doing this - I remember once having to engage in conversation about my day and the products I was buying and I just wanted to say 'mate, it's 10pm, I've just finished work, and I'm buying a £5 bottle of wine, do I strike you as a person who wants to chat?''

Autumnchill Wed 04-Jan-17 21:55:55

Aaaarrrgghh, our Mint Velvet girl is like this! Doesn't matter what I'm wearing she always says 'oh I've got that, isn't it lovely'. My SIL says she says the same thing to her as well.

daquee101 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:59:22

Yeah I don't think they do either! She loved everything I was wearing (hmm) and loved DS being messy etc etc. Came away with some nice heels though , easiest sale of the century

ems137 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:04:16

I know it's cringey but having worked in some of these stores you really do have to do "a script". I remember one store was ridiculous, we had to ask about 5 questions and management would observe people and if they didn't do it they got formal warnings shock

treaclesoda Wed 04-Jan-17 22:07:46

Yes, I hate this. Sainsburys are the worst for it, I think they must be obliged to pick out some of the items you're buying and quiz you about them. It's hideous.

I always smile politely and play along because I know they're being forced to do it, but I just hate it. Having a teenage boy comment on my handbag as he desperately searched for something to say was a low point. I felt so sorry for him.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 04-Jan-17 22:10:08

I used to work in a supermarket and yes we get 'made' to do it. I ended up with a disciplinary because I wasn't making conversation with customers who clearly just wanted to pay for their shopping and leave (was happy to talk to those who were willing though). I hated it, the company banged on about encouraging us all to express our individuality, whilst in the same breath treated us all like robots. Very demoralising, I left in the end.

Don't blame the shop assistants, they probably hate it just as much as you but their jobs are on the line if they refuse to 'follow procedure'.

yolofish Wed 04-Jan-17 22:13:33

I like it when they are nice, was in Lush with the DDs the other day and the ladies in there could not have been more helpful and friendly - not pushy, just really liked their products. We all came out giving them a 5* review.

Jellybean83 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:14:29

It's the dead behind the eyes look and the monotone, bored sounding 'do you have much more shopping today' or 'how has your day been' that I find cringingly funny, they so obviously don't give a flying fuck but have to ask it anyway, it's just so silly forcing people to do that. I feel so awkward answering I don't really want to tell them anymore than they want to hear it.

Fisforyou Wed 04-Jan-17 22:15:23

I find it very patronising especially when another woman in a shop calls you sweet heart 🙁

BackforGood Wed 04-Jan-17 22:20:02

Im quite partial to a friendly chat or comment, but agree with you op i cant stand the scripted nonsense... .....

When you get to the front of the queue in the bank "Thankyou for waiting"

or

From a cold caller "and how are you today"

grrrrrr

Oysterbabe Wed 04-Jan-17 22:22:53

It's when they compliment your purchases.
"Oh these are nice"
They're black socks.

Ditsyprint40 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:33:39

Ditto the PP about Next - they always say 'have you got much more shopping to do'.

It really puts me off going into certain stores. Or in fact any store where someone is loitering at the door with a fake smile. I don't want to chat!

Mainly for this reason I avoid supermarkets checkouts and always use self serve.

SerialReJoiner Wed 04-Jan-17 22:40:46

I clearly don't go shopping often enough - never really noticed scripted conversation. I do enjoy being friendly with cashiers and such, though. I've been on the other side of that counter and you're often treated like crap or as an invisible nothing. It makes me happy to see someone perk up and be treated like a real human being. Just a few sentences is all it takes.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 04-Jan-17 22:45:04

As someone who used to work in retail I hate the forced interaction too, I feel like I'm having to force a reply to avoid being rude.

It's the people over at head office who make these rules unfortunately. The ones who haven't set foot on a shop floor in yonks and have clearly forgotten what it's like.

One hopes that some of them are reading this thread and taking note. I'm sure they would hate to know that this sort of customer service can actually drive customers awaywink

JollyHockeyGit Wed 04-Jan-17 22:58:42

I work in a high street store and love chit chat with customers, but I think I'm pretty good at gauging when people want to chat and when they just don't. We have no script, we're encouraged to be ourselves. I have a colleague who sometimes sounds like she's scripted I think, but she's genuinely just a nice, friendly person who actually does want you to have a nice day.

BaldricksTrousers Wed 04-Jan-17 23:10:51

Miserable lot you are grin

I worked retail for over ten years and know that the job can be pure torture occasionally....and managers can often have silly demands about scripts and quotas and all sorts.

We used to have to offer the store credithat card and be declined three times before giving up. Do you know how annoying that is? But we'd get bollocked if we didn't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now