Talk

Advanced search

To want to live in my house without being verbally abused & harassed?

(21 Posts)
user1483564461 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:32:01

Ever since I moved into this house, the neighbours have been verbally abusive. They never cease to enjoy using the 'n' word and calling me a 'fat pig', a 'fat cow' and a 'fat s***'. The house I've moved into is a housing association house and I don't know if they have a problem with a single black mother moving into the house or whether they're just really horrible people. I don't get how people can spend every day of their lives being so antagonistic and wanting to create an uncomfortable environment for someone they don't even know. If they have a valid problem or issue, why don't they come and speak to me like mature, considerate human beings? What pleasure do they get out of being so nasty? That's Oxford for you, I guess- just general bigotry and ignorance on a daily basis.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Wed 04-Jan-17 21:33:41

Have you called the police, council, local MP?

redexpat Wed 04-Jan-17 21:38:21

Record them on your phone.
Keep a detailed diary of incidents.
Is their house a housing association house too? Could you go to the housing association?

londonrach Wed 04-Jan-17 21:40:27

Not my experience of oxford. Suggest you call the police or the council next time they do anything.

glitterazi Wed 04-Jan-17 21:40:34

sad That's horrible. Keep a diary of what they do and say with times and insults etc and get the **ts reported.

RachelRagged Wed 04-Jan-17 21:41:52

Horrible scummy people .

I lived among such "people" too OP , but they never used the N word as I am white, as were they . I done nothing much but looking back I wish I had . Keep a log OP and no its not unreasonable to want to live in peace in your own home.

helpimitchy Wed 04-Jan-17 22:29:06

You need to record and preferably video them. Use your phone and keep logs of what's happening. Never engage with them or bite back - try to remain calm.

MissMatchedSocks Wed 04-Jan-17 22:32:35

That's awful. Please do take the advice above and keep a log of what's going on as well as making a complaint next time it happens.

ManaFleet Wed 04-Jan-17 22:49:59

How horrible for you. Please take the advice given above. Hold your head high and try not to let it hurt you. They're ignorant scum and not at all representative of decent folk. Chin up flowers🌺

Italiangreyhound Wed 04-Jan-17 22:52:26

user1483564461 that really horrible. Record all instances, talk to the housing association.

Some people are truly ignorant. I am so sorry. thanks

Goodmum1234 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:05:47

Report this hate crime to the police. Using racist language is illegal and you should be protected under the equality act 2010. Sorry you are going through this.

PetalMettle Wed 04-Jan-17 23:09:48

I'm shocked! And so sorry for you. Agree record them and contact the housing association with local councillor and MP cced

Astro55 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:13:30

Speak to the housing association not sure if your neighbors rent or own - if they rent the landlords could move them on as a breach of their agreement - if they own maybe ask your landlord for another property

You shouldn't have to put up with this - of you so call the police it may get worse - but that shouldn't stop you - they can note your address for emergency call out and give you and emergency alarm

BMW6 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:56:51

Bloody hell OP - report to HA and police as a hate crime.
You ask why they do it? Usually because they are ignorant and really unintelligent losers. They have sad lives in which the only way they can feel "better" is to try and make someone else feel inferior to them. Pathetic really and a total waste of space.
flowers

HecateAntaia Thu 05-Jan-17 00:25:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Temporaryname137 Thu 05-Jan-17 08:36:55

Do you have the same landlord, ie the HA? If so, report it the landlord too, and say if it doesn't take action, they will be in breach of your right to quiet enjoyment.

Do the other reporting too. Why are some people so fucking vile?

Ohdearducks Thu 05-Jan-17 08:44:41

Horrible racist bastards. Racial abuse is against the law, don't hesitate in reporting them to the police. See if you can find out who your community officers are and give them a call, you shouldn't have to put up with that! I'm sure it's in breach of their tenancy agreement, as others have suggested do keep a diary of events to build a picture/evidence for the police/HA it will help your case.

Ohdearducks Thu 05-Jan-17 08:45:02

And flowers

Katy07 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:09:41

They're just really horrible people - the use of the "n" word is just part of their ignorance and desire to cause offence. That's not to say that I think they're not racist - I'd put money on them being so - but I think you'd get an equal amount of abuse if you were white, purple or covered in sparkles. It's obvious just their nature to be thoroughly unpleasant.

dollydaydream114 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:30:02

Speak to your housing association in the first instance. These racist shitbags are their tenant and the housing association is their landlord; if they are behaving in a way that's illegal (racial abuse is a hate crime) or antisocial towards other tenants the housing association definitely needs to know about it.

Definitely keep a diary of any incidents - times, dates, details, everything.

I also agree with other posters that you could certainly speak to the police about this. They have no right whatsoever to racially abuse you; their behaviour is illegal and disgusting.

user1483564461 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:30:33

Can anyone recommend good recording devices that can record outside and pick up their verbal abuse?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: