Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour problems...

(3 Posts)
amber90 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:34:53

This is my first time posting so please be gentle on me but I'm really looking for some advice and willing to accept that I may not be in the right here...

I live on a ground floor flat with its own main door and a small back garden. There are a lot of small children in the estate aged 3-8 or so and summer can get a bit noisy when they play in the common areas which is obviously to be expected with children and although sometimes it can get a bit loud, its for the most part, not a problem.

A few summers ago my back window was smashed by one of the kids while I was out and none of the parents took responsibility for this so I had to pay for the repairs. Now my upstairs neighbour who have a boy of around 6 have put his goals for football on the common grass area which is right next to my fence. The ball is constantly in the garden and whenever the ball hits the fence, my window rattles and the constant banging can get too much so I've been out a few times and asked them to move the goal which they do no problem. Yesterday however when I went out to ask (really nicely by the way), the kid got really mouthy about how it was his "bit" and he could play where he wanted. I asked him to tell his parents to come and talk to me and his dad appeared at the window (obviously had been listening the whole time). He asked what the problem was and I told him that although I realised it was a common area, I'd really appreciate just a bit of neighbourly consideration when it came to his child playing football. He was in short, not interested. I reminded him about the window and that a few evenings before the ball had rattled off it again and the kids had all legged it. Still not interested. I stressed again that I was not asking that he stop his children playing or even that they or play in a different part of the back court (there are loads of grassy areas), but to move the goal away from the fence but had no luck. I'm really at a loss about what to do. I obviously don't want issues with the neighbours but if my kids were irritating them I'd be mortified! They just didnt want to know. Any advice at all you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

MatildaTheCat Wed 04-Jan-17 19:42:21

Are ball games or personal equipment allowed on the shared areas? Check your lease. Then if not complain to the freeholders or management agent as applicable. Don't get into further conflict .

amber90 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:46:59

Thank so much for replying Matilda. Yes, personal equipment is allowed in these areas. Their family pretty much use it as their own garden area which is absolutely not a problem. Its good they have somewhere safe for their kids to play but what harm would it be for them to move the goal? (sorry - ranting). I just cant believe the inconsideration of them and as a student and single mum cant afford to repair the window again if it breaks. I was kind of considering taking them up a bottle of wine and trying to talk to them again but I'd just end up frustrated I think. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now