Talk

Advanced search

To think the nurses shouldn't have spoken in a different language in front of me?

(486 Posts)
ColouringTheBrain Wed 04-Jan-17 18:56:17

If I start by saying I think our NHS staff do a great job smile I'm not looking to be flamed, I genuinely want to know if I'm BU.

I had to go to the hospital today, the nurse that initially dealt with me was kind and gentle, also in the room was a colleague of hers ( another nurse). The nurse took my bloods, then went to get another machine, it was then that the two nurses started talking to each other in a different language ( I'm not trying to be vague, I just haven't got a clue what language it was). It made me feel really uncomfortable as it was directly in front of me, whether they were talking about me, or what's on TV, or other members of staff I feel is irrelevant, I felt like they shouldn't be doing it in front of a patient. Obviously I didn't say anything, I wasn't feeling the best anyway, but I also felt slightly intimidated I suppose.

AIBU, or should I just accept it as part of the care?

RedHelenB Wed 04-Jan-17 18:57:48

YABU they are allowed to talk without patients earwigging!

originalmavis Wed 04-Jan-17 18:58:24

As long as they weren't looking over at you and sniggering!

Hope you are feeling ok.

BorrowedHearts Wed 04-Jan-17 18:59:37

YABU if I could talk in another language (other than pig Latin) I would so I could talk in front of others without them being nosey lol

whyohwhy000 Wed 04-Jan-17 18:59:41

This is difficult. Of course they should tell you everything but it's also best not to worry patients even more.

When I was pregnant (living in Norway at the time) the nurses and doctors made us wear ear defenders when they took over from other shifts so we wouldn't get worried.

RichardBucket Wed 04-Jan-17 19:00:03

YABU. You're not entitled to know what they're talking about unless they're talking to you.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:00:39

You are not being unreasonable, OP. In a hospital where the main language is English, and the patient is an English speaker, any conversation should have been conducted.
What they did, in fact, was to exclude you and that was very rude indeed.

user1483387154 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:01:42

YABU as long as they were communicating in English with you and when it concerned you it doesnt matter what language they speak to each other.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:02:06

Corrected:

You are not being unreasonable, OP. In a hospital where the main language is English, and the patient is an English speaker, any conversation should have been conducted in E flush.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:02:42

CaraAspen

You are not being unreasonable, OP. In a hospital where the main language is English, and the patient is an English speaker, any conversation should have been conducted in English.

Spam88 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:02:47

I think it's pretty rude, maybe less so if it was a several bed bay with other people around and they weren't really with you but just happened to be in the same room if that makes sense?

5moreminutes Wed 04-Jan-17 19:02:53

I can't see why it matters, as they spoke to you in English, treated you professionally and with respect and care, and weren't doing anything to suggest that they were being in any way nasty.

Having lived and travelled in lots of countries I am always dismayed that the British seem unable to cope with people speaking other languages within ear shot. It isn't that way in most of the world.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:03:22

Please excuse my annoying phone. Grrr

LostSight Wed 04-Jan-17 19:03:31

Maybe they were discussing something technical and it was easier to explain in their mother tongue. I live in Norway and it is tiring and difficult working full time is a different language from my mother tongue, even though I'm pretty fluent.

nocoolnamesleft Wed 04-Jan-17 19:04:03

Was one of them new? Could imagine an experienced member of staff explaining (in mutual first language) how to use the other machine they'd brought...

drinkswineoutofamug Wed 04-Jan-17 19:05:04

The nurse did her job and treated you with respect.
I hope your feeling ok btw.
I don't see an issue of them conversing in their own language. Our doctors do it, nurses do it, the corner shop workers do it.
You got a service, treated no different , job done

BendingSpoons Wed 04-Jan-17 19:05:55

Personally I'd say YANBU. They were either saying something confidential, in which case they should have moved away, or they were chatting, in which case why do they have more right to private chat whilst working than others who only speak English.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:05:58

"Spam88

I think it's pretty rude, maybe less so if it was a several bed bay with other people around and they weren't really with you but just happened to be in the same room if that makes sense?"

That was the scenario I imagined, too. But even if others were around and this happened in a ward, I still think what they did was rude and added to the OP's anxiety.

froomeonthebroom Wed 04-Jan-17 19:06:21

I hate this and I think it's rude. If it's a non work related conversation they shouldn't be having it while dealing with you anyway.

LoupGarou Wed 04-Jan-17 19:06:25

YABU, unless they were pointing at you and discussing you I can't really see it being an issue. I love listening to people speak in other languages, I always imagine they're talking about an amazing diamond heist they're planning when its probably only what they're having for dinner! grin
That said, when I was pregnant we lived in Russia, and for some reason the doctors and nurses didn't realise I speak Russian, it made for some rather interesting discussions, its amazing what people will discuss in front of you when they think you don't understand them grin

PietariKontio Wed 04-Jan-17 19:07:47

YABU; I'm not sure why you were uncomfortable unless you felt they were talking about you. There's a lot of information hospital staff have to share during their work, and most isn't relevant to one patient.
It's happened to me, and to be honest I was completely unbothered.

YelloDraw Wed 04-Jan-17 19:08:06

I think that is very rude.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:08:40

For those implying nosiness, I think that is not the point and is frankly a bit off.

CaraAspen Wed 04-Jan-17 19:09:36

"froomeonthebroom

I hate this and I think it's rude. If it's a non work related conversation they shouldn't be having it while dealing with you anyway."

Exactly.

SoberSusan Wed 04-Jan-17 19:09:58

YANBU. Of course they were being rude. The point is you didn't know what they were saying - whether they were discussing you or not - and it made you uncomfortable.

I wonder if the responses here would be different if the nurses had started whispering to each other?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now