Talk

Advanced search

To lament the most middle class, first world problem ever?

(116 Posts)
GeekyWombat Wed 04-Jan-17 16:54:30

DH bought me a camembert baker for Christmas. It's purple, very pretty and even comes with little spreaders to get out every last bit of lovely oozy cheese.

Dieting set to start after the weekend so tonight I was all set to put a brie bigger than my face that I bought in the M&S sale in the oven for dipping joy in said new baker (I know, brie in a camembert baker! That's just how I roll!). But having got it out of its (it turns out deceptively large) box it turns out my brie is too big!

What do I do? Do I trim it? Just chop it in chunks and make a rindy fondue? And AIBU to be irrationally sad? I just texted DH to tell him and got told it was the most middle class first world overheard-in-Waitrose type comment I'd made since the day we ran out of organic hummus when I was planning to give it to DD for lunch.

He might be right, but it's cheese people! Pre-diet cheese at that!

MrsExpo Wed 04-Jan-17 16:59:04

I think your DH is right. Put it in a dish and in the oven if you really must ....

ProudBadMum Wed 04-Jan-17 17:00:06

Forget the diet and buy loads of cheese til you determine what size fits and what doesn't

happynewyearchum Wed 04-Jan-17 17:07:57

I don't think it's a middle class problem at all, everyone eats cheese.

Just put it in a dish.

statetrooperstacey Wed 04-Jan-17 17:11:13

Take a wedge out and rearrange in the dish or cut a circle out the middle and squish it in. Wish I was eating melted cheese. . . .

TheCatsMother99 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:14:43

Mmmmmm cheese

(misses point of thread entirely)

FooFighter99 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:16:37

I think this might be the best thread I've read all day!

Get that cheese trimmed and in the oven immediately and make sure you blast DH when he gets home for buying the wrong size bloody baker!

FetchezLaVache Wed 04-Jan-17 17:17:10

Why are you even asking?? You need to nibble around the edge of your brie until it fits.

HicDraconis Wed 04-Jan-17 17:26:29

Make two long cuts out of it at right angles to each other - ie cut a long strip out of the middle up/down and left/right. You should be left with 4 equal sized quarter wedges - squash these together into a smaller circle for baking. If still too big, repeat process until it fits.

Then while it's baking, eat the cut slices with crackers and cranberry.

dailymaillazyjournos Wed 04-Jan-17 17:33:20

This is absolutely a non-problem. Trim the cheese to size and eat offcuts. Job done. HTH. Enjoy.

Blatherskite Wed 04-Jan-17 17:36:09

This is what happens when you put Brie in a Camembert Baker. How very non-U! wink

I haven't found my Camembert baker since we moved so I've been having to bake the cheese in it's little box shock

LostSight Wed 04-Jan-17 17:40:49

I bought a Camembert that I knew was too big for the dish last week. I just put it in the oven in a different container and the rind kept it in shape. I know you wouldn't get to use your new toy, but the cheese would still taste wonderful.

QuackDuckQuack Wed 04-Jan-17 17:45:28

Could you do that thing where you bake it in a hollow loaf of bread? It keeps popping up on my FB feed.

Blatherskite Wed 04-Jan-17 18:02:59

Or just cut a criss-cross into a loaf and shove cheese in the cuts then bake it. You can then tear out the squares of bread already covered in melty cheese.

This is going to turn into a very dangerous thread isn't it!

MrsJayy Wed 04-Jan-17 18:05:45

Wait ypu get cheese bakers actually little cheese ovens? As for the face sized brie eattrim it and put it in your new toy grin

MrsJayy Wed 04-Jan-17 18:07:31

Oh never mind its just a dish not a little cheese oven blush

MillionToOneChances Wed 04-Jan-17 18:09:06

If the Brie is in a little box, take it out of its wrapper, put it back in the box, slash with a knife, slide slivers of garlic into the cuts, top with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake on a tray. Nom.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 04-Jan-17 18:10:11

Go on a diet which allows cheese eating.

Andrewofgg Wed 04-Jan-17 18:11:27

Set another place for dinner, I'm on my way.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 04-Jan-17 18:12:29

Can't you just stick it whole on a baking tray with foil?

You know, the way people did before Camembert bakers.

I wouldn't cut it up because you'll compromise the structure and it will be All Wrong.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 04-Jan-17 18:43:45

I think it's middle class because the OP has a fancy single purpose dish just for melting cheese whereas everyone else would just use the box the cheese came in, any old dish, or that bread thing on Facebook, which looks bloody awesome.

RortyCrankle Wed 04-Jan-17 18:52:43

I'm trying to imagine (but totally failing) my DP (when I had one) actually buying me such a useless article as a cheese baker for Christmas and me not thinking he had completely lost his marbles. But hey whatever floats your boat.

either cut the brie to fit the cheese cooker or cook it in the box in which it presumably came, or stick it in some foil. Crisis averted hmm

LizzieMacQueen Wed 04-Jan-17 18:56:15

I'm curious to know what else you got for Christmas.

MidnightDexy Wed 04-Jan-17 19:08:09

you mustn't take the rind off it will collapse and the edges will burn. I have had this issue. Just cut a wedge out of the brie and then force it back into a full circle with your hands to fit it in the baker.

zeezeek Wed 04-Jan-17 19:19:57

I'm contemplating divorcing my DH because he would never think of such a wonderful Christmas present.

goes off to find a Camembert baker in the sales

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now