Talk

Advanced search

To ask is my mind playing tricks on me?

(10 Posts)
PuppyCottonLane Wed 04-Jan-17 13:04:51

I've got two DC's who are both under 4. I don't intend on having anymore children due to suffering really badly with Hyperemesis (constant sickness) throughout both pregnancies and being hospitalised.

My DH and I had sex on Christmas Eve and we noticed afterwards that the condom had split. At the time I wasn't too worried about it, as when we conceived on our first two children it was very technical in that I had to take ovulation tests and herbal rememdies due to not ovulating regularly. So I forgot about it.

Fast forward to now. I have been feeling sick the past couple of days, extreme tiredness and generally feeling not right. My DH is worried I'm pregnant but considering it's only been not even 2 weeks since we unprotected sex I can't see how I would have symptoms so quickly. I took a test as my DH kept on and it was negative.

Since I've took the test I can't get it out of my mind, keep thinking about how I don't feel right. I think it's my mind playing tricks on me, making me feel worse than I am - my DH thinks the test has come back negative as it's too early too test, but if it's too early to test then why symptoms!

Has anyone experienced similar and is my DH over reacting?

statetrooperstacey Wed 04-Jan-17 13:36:42

I would get to the gp and get the pill, I think it works up to six weeks? It probably is your mind playing tricks yes but if you don't want any more babies this is your window of opportunity.

statetrooperstacey Wed 04-Jan-17 13:38:10

Unless you are going for an 'accidentally on purpose baby'grin

PuppyCottonLane Wed 04-Jan-17 13:39:37

The pill as in the morning after pill?

xStefx Wed 04-Jan-17 13:41:17

Theres not a lot you can do until you miss your next period really. My HG didn't kick in till 4 weeks 1 day on both my pregnancies so I had missed my period and already knew I was pregnant when the sickness raised its torturous head.

No , the morning after pill doesn't work upto 6 weeks, just 72 hours.
The waiting game is on by the looks of things, good luck OP x

PuppyCottonLane Wed 04-Jan-17 13:45:34

I'm the same Stef, my HG kicked in after my missed period but since having my second I now have sickness the day or a couple of days before every period starts so I'm wondering if I'm now super sensitive to the hormone changes. Or it's just my mind playing tricks as I'm so petrified of HG again!

TallyHoAndToodlePip Wed 04-Jan-17 13:46:00

You can experience symptoms due to the various different hormones in your body that start to surge from as early as the day after conception. A pregnancy test works by detecting the hCG hormone that's present within your urine, which builds gradually day by day after conception. It's typically not high enough to detect until 2 weeks after you conceive (around 14 DPO) and even then it sometimes only works with your first mornings urine (because it's so concentrated).

I wouldn't rule pregnancy out as being a possibility at this stage...

statetrooperstacey Wed 04-Jan-17 13:46:53

Not quite no, the morning after pill is 24/48 hours I think, but there is a something else,- for want of a better phrase as I don't know the correct term- the abortion pill, it's to end an early pregnancy befor 6 weeks. I believe a coil fitted can also be used in this way if early enough.
I would make an urgent appt with gp or family planning clinic, tell them you have had unprotected sex, do not wish to be pregnant and ask them for advice. It is possible Yes to have very early symptoms, I would not ignore them.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Wed 04-Jan-17 13:47:08

P.s. Good luck OP and I hope you get the outcome you want x

xStefx Wed 04-Jan-17 13:53:32

OP, I am petrified of pregnancy just like you, HG genuinely nearly killed me and took away my sanity temporarily.

I have acid reflux since my 2nd HG and get sick every morning until I eat. Also feel more nauseous around ovulation.

I can see why your panicking but theres nothing you can do until you miss your period :-( I have my fingers crossed for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now