Talk

Advanced search

To cancel and just drink all the wine myself?

(10 Posts)
gunsandbanjos Wed 04-Jan-17 12:34:49

Lighthearted (mostly...)

Got my lovely family coming for dinner tonight which I'm really looking forward to, already this morning I've had a power cut and a big fat failure on my attempted dessert. Second attempt is in the oven and looks a bit more promising!

Anyone want to cheer me up with their culinary disasters?

dawnc27 Wed 04-Jan-17 12:41:57

maybe drink the wine now and then by tonight you probably wont care?

as for my culinary disasters, if i listed them you would still be reading in 3days time so lets just say im not the worlds best cook

sweetstemcauli Wed 04-Jan-17 12:57:53

Bread and butter pudding (for 6) made as per a recipe which stated 2 slices of bread instead of a much more likely 12. You would think I would have got the message whilst trying to eke out 2 slices in a large ashet. What can I say, I was stressed out generally. smile We had ice cream and choc sauce instead.

MotherKat Wed 04-Jan-17 13:02:39

White chocolate creme bruleé made in an enormous silicon millennium falcon shaped dish, complete failure to set, silicon was not up to the blowtorch, burnt plastic tasting slimy custard.
It tasted like sadness, it was supposed to be my husband's birthday "cake" fortunately a dear friend had brought a vegan chocolate torte that was spectacular and went around when padded with fresh raspberries.

gunsandbanjos Wed 04-Jan-17 13:04:21

My boyfriend suggested drinking the wine just now too, I think it may hamper proceedings slightly though.

So glad I made the main course the other day!

Natsku Wed 04-Jan-17 13:05:33

I tried to make GF Christmas bread this year but forgot to buy xantham gum and psyllium and it ended up being closer to a rock than a loaf of bread, could have knocked someone out with it!

Rixera Wed 04-Jan-17 13:05:37

Made a baked cheesecake. Looked and smelled too good to wait the full 8 hours for it to set, thought it's already been a few, I'm sure it's fine.

It was not fine. I cut through the set outer crust and found the middle was like yoghurt. We had bowls of this liquid cheesecake-esque substance with the biscuit base floating in bits on the top.

gunsandbanjos Wed 04-Jan-17 13:05:48

MotherKat that sounds like it would have been amazing had it come off!

I'm just attempting a pavlova, so not quite as ambitious.

Mrsdraper1 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:49:07

I once made a cake and completely forgot to put butter in it. Then remembered when it was already in the oven. So I just got it out and put a big lump of butter in each tin.
They came out like biscuits with a weird indent in the top where the knob of butter had been. I bunged some jam between them and dusted with icing sugar. Then I pretended they were meant to be like that :-)

gunsandbanjos Wed 04-Jan-17 20:53:08

Family have been and gone and it was all lovely.
Chicken pie and nectarine pavlova (bloody lovely! Even if I do say so myself) followed by a cheeseboard.

Good night I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now