Talk

Advanced search

To try to loose weight whilst trying to conceive/pregnant?

(7 Posts)
Tigger83 Wed 04-Jan-17 07:55:40

Hi all, just wanted a bit of mn advice really! I'm 12 stone ish and we're actively trying to conceive blush I'd love to loose a bit more weight ideally- I've maintained at this weight for about a year but can feel it creeping on again. Historically I have done weight watchers so do you think it's a problem to follow weight watchers (I do it online so no leader to ask) whilst trying to conceive and into the early stages of pregnancy? I'd like to drop a stone and a half in an ideal world!!

icy121 Wed 04-Jan-17 07:58:14

Good idea to lose weight. Even being slightly overweight can cause difficulties. If you're lucky and conceive quickly you can safely continue to lose weight for first trimester before levelling off.

acquiescence Wed 04-Jan-17 08:43:54

Definitely when ttc. I was trying for nearly a year then when I started dieting and lost half a stone (and stopped the booze) I got pregnancy v quickly. Good luck.

Cheby Wed 04-Jan-17 08:51:06

Slimming world is suitable for pregnant women; why don't you try that?

I'd make sure you're not restricting calories too much, that could affect fertility. But general healthy eating and monitoring calories within a reasonable amount won't do any harm.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 04-Jan-17 09:38:30

If you eat the advised diet and exercise the advised amount you will lose weight and be healthy. Walk or run 30 mins per day, eat mostly fruit and veg. Don't drink alcohol. Keep sugar to a minimum. Done.

The most important thing is that you get the necessary vitamins, especially folate, so lots of leafy greens.

dawnc27 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:44:32

i did slimming world, started about 2 months before i fell pregnant and carried on til i was 7 1/2 month and only reason i stopped was admitted to hospital. for the 1st 3 months i was actually loosing quite a bit then it slowed don as baby grew, think i ended up at about half a stone lighter than pre preg weight. had a great consultant who told me what extras i needed, what not to do and answered any questions i had

Tigger83 Wed 04-Jan-17 10:09:07

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Looks like I'm on the Jan health kick!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now