Advanced search

AIBU to complain about the doctor's attitude?

(18 Posts)
PurplePenguins Tue 03-Jan-17 23:14:07

I started have back pain several years ago after my first pregnancy. Nothing major, stiff getting out of bed, achy and sore if standing or walking too long. It has gotten gradually worse with each pregnancy (4). Still not terrible, doesn't stop me doing anything. My last pregnancy, I had SPD and an awkward baby lying diagonally onto my left hip. Long story short, I have a limp and this has aggregated my back. I am now at a stage where I am in pain 90% of the time especially in my lower back and have difficulty walking far, standing too long etc. I went to the doctors originally and was referred to physio. The exercises now aren't working so I went back. The doctor told me to basically suck it up. There are people in severe pain who get up without complaining, get in their wheelchairs and go to work. He has made me feel like I'm a hypochondriac.
Would I BU to complain?

CockacidalManiac Tue 03-Jan-17 23:15:40

Of course you wouldn't; it was a cuntish thing for him to say.

Daisyfrumps Tue 03-Jan-17 23:18:03

No, but you will get sorted quicker if you can afford to go to private osteopath in my experience. I was also fobbed off by my GP and physio.

PurplePenguins Tue 03-Jan-17 23:23:01

Worth I shot Daisy. It's getting me down now sad

AcademicOwl Tue 03-Jan-17 23:24:02

Depends: is there another GP you could see at your surgery who might be more sympathetic? That'd be my first port of call.
Complaining is only really helpful if it's productive, I think. And by that, I mean productive to you. Otherwise it's just an extra stress you can do without. Some doctors are just on perma-grump. Complaining probably won't make that better.
Find someone who will take you seriously & offer you support and help.
Good luck!

PurplePenguins Tue 03-Jan-17 23:24:24

Physio was amazing. She really seemed to care. The referral takes so long tho. That's of I can get one!

PurplePenguins Tue 03-Jan-17 23:26:00

There is another doctor but she is really hard to get an appointment with. I can't understand why!grin

Corabell Tue 03-Jan-17 23:29:23

I had horrendous back pain after a pregnancy when my largish baby lay on a diagonal for most of my pregnancy. My right hip felt higher than my left. I saw an osteopath and she was absolutely amazing and helped me so much.

And yes, the doctor was being a twat.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 03-Jan-17 23:37:27

YDNBU. What a twat. If he thinks people should suck up pain. Then he shouldn't be in the profession.
I bet Hes the type that would say to someone with depression. Just Pull yourself together.

caz323 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:11:03

What a horrid GP! Can only imagine how that made you feel - like a bloody malingerer. That's not 'caring'. Sounds like he's poss a woman-hater. What an attitude! Glad your physio was lovely.

Treaclex Wed 04-Jan-17 13:20:29

YANBU get on the phone to the practice manager and log your complaint and whilst you've got them on the phone request an appointment for the other Dr. Fucks me right off that back pain is dismissed with a get on with it attitude!! My DH had to have emergency back surgery in May 2015 as he was bent over and walking like he'd shit himself, they had left him like that for 6 months angry when the surgeon first saw him he was raging as leaving DH like that for that length of time could've done even more Damage. When you next see a Dr you should ask about an MRI scan to check your back and hips. Really hope you get sorted and pain free soon.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Wed 04-Jan-17 13:37:07

Definitely complain. Also, I agree with Daisyfrumps that you should consider private treatments. Osteopaths cost between £30 and £50 a session on average. If that seems a bit steep then consider maybe seeing a chiropractor first as their sessions average around £35 a time. I personally have had brilliant results with my chiropractor for a couple of rib and back issues, so I never got as far as needing an Osteopath. Also private health insurance and health cash plans will cover both treatments (if you have either).

I nabbed this brief description from the interwebs about Ostepaths vs chiropractors to help you decide which profession may be better suited to helping you:

"The major difference between an Osteopath and a chiropractor is that while the chiropractor is primarily focused on the spine and joints (and the muscles too, to a point), an Osteopath is also concerned with the rest of the body. He or she might treat patients with respiratory problems, digestive problems or any other number of problems that might not seem related to the spine or joints."

Softkitty2 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:51:45

I dont see why you couldn't replicate the exercises the physio does with you at home or a local gym.. Ask a physio for a detailed plan you can do on your own or at home/gym.

piddleypower Wed 04-Jan-17 14:07:47

Its not acceptable for a doctor to be rude, but there really isn't a great deal a GP can do for back pain. I agree with others, go to a private chiropractor or physio. I can't see what a complaint will achieve in this situation, there was no actual malpractice.

C8H10N4O2 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:03:43

There is a great deal a GP can do to help address back pain, basic manners is the least of them and telling a patient they have to suck it up because there are worse off people in the world is just bad medicine. Its the stock excuse for ignoring women with serious gynae problems and back trouble.

My experience was not unlike Treclex DH - initial GP convinced me I had to suck it up, to take ibuprofen (for immobilising pain). Saw diff GP who immediately referred me to neurologist and orthopaedic consultants. I was in hospital within a week and nearly ended up in a wheelchair. Both specialists and the referring GP were less than complementary at me being fobbed off with 'suck it up' when I had serious damage already.

As it is, by then enough damage was done that I've spent the years since under a pain management clinic and with permanent disability issues.

Your GP can refer for physio, back school, prescribe pain killers, refer to a whole range of specialists, refer specifically for MRI type scans, monitor over a period of time. That is just the actions which come to mind now.

OP the advice to raise it with the practice and ask for appointment for the other GP or a second opinion is sensible. Every practice seems to have one GP noone wants to see, you seem to have found yours.

TheCatsMother99 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:08:08

Don't 'suck it up', definitely ask for a second opinion or make an appointment with the other GP at the practise.

Unless pretty much every avenue has been explored I don't think that anyone in pain should just deal with it. That could have horrific consequences, not just for your back but for your mental health as it'll surely wear you down more and more over time.

Outbackshack Wed 04-Jan-17 17:22:40

I had back pain after pregnancy 1. Was referred for physio and had acupuncture on nhs... was wonderful. After pregnancy 2 it resurfaced. At 6 week check offered physio referral and had appointment within a month. Clearly it can be sorted and promptly so it doesn't seem fair that you have not had good treatment. I would ask to see another doctor at the practice or failing that move practices if possible

lljkk Wed 04-Jan-17 18:14:29

Oh, I had a nurse tell me this in a student health centre, about 23 yrs ago. Mine was sudden backpain and pretty crippling.

I didn't complain. I just waited a few days for it to get better & try to look after my back better since.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: