Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that January is a stupid month to start a diet?

(16 Posts)
malificent7 Tue 03-Jan-17 23:04:22

It's freezing outside, who wants to eat salad when I have loads of lovely cheese and chocolate left over from Christmas?

I crave stew and warm fires not the gym and celery. The diet starts in spring or when it gets hot enough for me to care about bearing flesh!

Who says you can't eat stews when you're trying to lose weight?

1stWorldProblems Tue 03-Jan-17 23:11:45

You are so right - this is exactly the wrong sort of weather for salad & depriving yourself of all that's nice. Bloody ridiculous. No need to binge deprive yourself of anything ever but particularly at the most depressing time of toast when stew & red wine will make the long winter nights seem cosier.

QueenMortificado Tue 03-Jan-17 23:14:55

I actually much prefer working out in the winter. In the summer, I am sweaty ALL THE DAMN TIME and the thought of going in to a gym and getting even hotter is awful

flamencina Tue 03-Jan-17 23:14:56

Make stew then. It's healthy - a bit of protein and lots of veg. I had 'shepherds' pie made from scratch today - filling and low calorie. Low fat turkey mince and bulked out with veg, was delicious & only 350 cals.

sniffle12 Tue 03-Jan-17 23:24:56

Agree with the chocolate left over from Christmas point - it's all anyone seems to buy me and I'm hardly going to throw it all out! It's only polite to eat it first.

On a more serious note I do also suffer from SAD that's at it's worst in Jan so although I try and get into the spirit of new year's resolutions, I do have to go easy. Realistically I'm never going to be going out running 10k after work in January (or any time of year for that matter, but I can always dream!)

Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 23:27:47

I think it's a great month to start a diet. Lots of people are trying to be healthier, articles and forums, everyone is talking about it. It's enough time to get in shape for spring/summer too depending on how much you have to lose

You can have cheese and chocolate, just not too much of it!

SparkleShinyGlitter Tue 03-Jan-17 23:32:50

You can eat a stew on a diet. Veg, lean meat, gravy/sauce that's a healthy meal.
You can also have cheese and chocolate just small portions!

Also as far as I'm aware there is no rule about dieting in January that must be obeyed

WinterIsHereJon Tue 03-Jan-17 23:37:02

I always use celery in my stews wink

WorraLiberty Tue 03-Jan-17 23:40:05

I'm pretty sure diets are about more than just salad.

You sound as though dieting makes you pretty miserable though anyway? I think you'd be far better off trying to stick to sensible eating and exercise all year round.

And that includes healthy stews and a nice warm fire.

NotStoppedAllDay Tue 03-Jan-17 23:48:09

Weird idea about diets and healthy eating!!

Stews
Soups
Jacket potatoes
Porridge
Casseroles
Roast dinners

Have them all on slimming world and losing weight every week!

NotStoppedAllDay Tue 03-Jan-17 23:48:30

Even hot chocolate!

GlitterNails Wed 04-Jan-17 13:59:53

I follow the Slimming World plan and have lost four stone so far. I eat a lot of stews, jacket potatoes, meat/potato/veg, soups and lots of other things. I actually haven't had a salad in weeks, but they've just launched some potato salad and tuna salads at Iceland too which look good!

I often have one of their ready meals, as I'm disabled and struggle to cook from scratch. So there are easier ways of doing it.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 04-Jan-17 14:01:25

I agree. Mostly because I'm doing it and failing horribly.

And what's with 'Veganuary'? Sounds wanky. 'Veguary' is far better.

piddleypower Wed 04-Jan-17 14:02:20

Its the best month as there is nothing going on. My xmas and new year has been manic with social engagements, but I have not one single thing on in January! No dinners out or drinks. Perfect time to start. I have just had a halloumi salad and it was lovely.

80schild Wed 04-Jan-17 14:04:27

Depends how you look at it. I love brisk walks in the crisp cold air followed by a warm bath and reading a book in front of the fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now