Talk

Advanced search

To believe that Theresa May will not trigger A50 this year?

(205 Posts)
NobodyputsBabyinaKorma Tue 03-Jan-17 21:22:01

Yes, I know there is an EU referendum topic hidden away on MN but this is a genuine AIBU.

Anyone else think she won't be stupid enough to trigger Article 50 in 2017?

whyohwhy000 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:23:19

I hope she doesn't! But if she doesn't, MPs will probably start a motion of no confidence in her.

NobodyputsBabyinaKorma Tue 03-Jan-17 21:24:52

Does anyone actually have any confidence in her?

pipsqueak25 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:25:39

wished she bloody well get on with it and stop faffing about, nothing is going to change the result,nor should it, just sort it out !

OnionKnight Tue 03-Jan-17 21:26:41

She'll trigger it and then scarper when it fucks up.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 03-Jan-17 21:26:48

YABU unfortunately. She really has no choice, even if she didn't want to.

snapcrap Tue 03-Jan-17 21:30:37

I hope she does. We need to get on with it. What is the point of dithering and weakening our position?

pipsqueak25 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:32:53

snap i think we might be in the minority here, but who cares, it's a free country.

BravoPanda Tue 03-Jan-17 21:34:24

It will be triggered. Whether it's triggered by her or a vote of parliament is what we're waiting on isn't it? Either way it will be.

Huldra Tue 03-Jan-17 21:35:14

Would dithering until after at least after the French elections and even the German be a bad thing?

croon979 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:36:16

Nah. She has to.

wasonthelist Tue 03-Jan-17 21:37:00

Yabu not to post this in EU referendum section when you know full well it's there and it's just another goady remoaner thread.

megletthesecond Tue 03-Jan-17 21:39:04

What onion said. TM won't care about the fall out. The less well of will be picking up the pieces.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 03-Jan-17 21:40:45

I hope she doesn't. But I'll be getting my house valued in a few weeks on the assumption that she will. sad

pipsqueak25 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:40:52

remoaner thread grin

VladmirsPoutine Tue 03-Jan-17 21:42:29

It's not another goady remoaner thread. Tbh it's a welcome relief from all the hysteria over MILs daring to kiss their grandchildren and cleaning kitchens with disinfectant wipes.

The80sweregreat Tue 03-Jan-17 21:43:41

For what its worth, no.
I think she will go actually.
Or call a GE. Its all a mess.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 03-Jan-17 21:46:39

Anyway her hand will be forced. She seems intent on it. Given today's events with Ivan Roger's resignation I really see the whole thing imploding rather spectacularly as the year unfolds.

The80sweregreat Tue 03-Jan-17 22:07:13

January will bring news of the court case too ( gina and the plumbers) Am looking forwards to that news. It will hold things up if nothing else.

Grilledaubergines Tue 03-Jan-17 22:12:38

Of course she will.

And it will all happen and people will have to accept it because that's just the way it is. I'm looking forward to it all happening.

IssyStark Tue 03-Jan-17 22:14:20

She will trigger it eventually but probably later than March. It will be a huge clusterfuck and nothing will be sorted by the end of the two years. Trump's USA will be anti-free trade so it will be difficult to get any trade deals at good rates, so we'll all be older and we'll all be poorer.

DownWithThatSort0fThing Tue 03-Jan-17 22:23:39

She needs to. The majority have spoken and it needs to happen

80sMum Tue 03-Jan-17 22:40:14

I truly hope that the Article 50 "button of no return" is never pressed!

I am trying to save for retirement and I shudder to think what effect the triggering of Article 50 will have on my (and indeed on everybody's) pension fund! I have a horrible feeling that the last few years of scrimping and saving might be wiped out.

NobodyputsBabyinaKorma Wed 04-Jan-17 16:23:57

YABU not to post this in EU referendum section when you know full well it's there and it's just another goady remoaner thread

ODFOD accusing me of being goady about such an important topic. And "remoaner" - how witty and original hmm

We're less than 3 months away from the date May has said she'll trigger A50 but I can't help thinking there's a good chance she won't. And I agree that it might be a good idea to wait and see what the French and German elections bring.

snapcrap Fri 06-Jan-17 06:32:24

It's interesting that all the Remain voters I speak to froth and lament against 'ignorant' or 'racist' Leavers. The Remainers are smug in their position as the righteous, liberal, left-of-centre, intelligent faction.

Yet when you actually speak to them it's all about their pensions, their money, their short term losses, their businesses.

I voted Leave as a staunch leftie - among other reasons, I voted to a) get out of the failed experiment of the insidious one-size-fits-all EU, one that we never voted for in the first place (we only voted to be trade partners, not part of a political bloc) and b) to stop businesses using EU immigrants as cheap labour c) to give the people who are genuinely worried about immigration numbers the right to vote on that in every GE, dependant on what each party pledges for that period.

I know some of us will be hit in the pocket. I accept that. I do also accept that that is worrying to some people and I'm not dismissing those concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now