Talk

Advanced search

1st Birthday Party?

(20 Posts)
TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 03-Jan-17 19:31:37

My DF is willing to fund a birthday part for my DS's 1st Birthday, however I am unsure whether or not to accept.

I have met some lovely mums at baby groups, but is it a bit desperate to be having a party and inviting people I have met only a few times.

What are your thoughts? Party, or no party?

Sirzy Tue 03-Jan-17 19:33:05

Personally I would thank him for the offer and suggest that he either puts the money in a savings account for him or buys something like a swing for the garden which he can enjoy for years.

ExitPursuedBySantaSpartacus Tue 03-Jan-17 19:34:05

Party!!!

user1471446905 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:34:16

Close family and a few 'baby' friends for cake is all that is needed. Any kind of 'party' for a 1 year old is rather silly IMO. Shouldn't really need to cost much at all. What sort of party does your DF (friend?father?) have in mind?

Oysterbabe Tue 03-Jan-17 19:34:57

DD just had her first birthday and we had tea and cake at home with a few friends who also have babies. However I am going to a proper party for a first birthday for one of my NCT group. Maybe gauge interest and numbers and take it from there?

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 03-Jan-17 19:35:26

User, DFather was thinking along the lines of a party hosted by one of the baby classes he attends.

Soubriquet Tue 03-Jan-17 19:36:40

Go for it!!

We had one for Dd. She doesn't remember It but we do

Marmalady75 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:36:58

We didn't have a first birthday party for my ds (apart from one set of grandparents and my sister popping round). I don't think he missed anything tbh. I'd thank your dad and suggest he saves it for a party in a couple of years time when your little one will be big enough to enjoy and remember it.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:37:01

We had a party for ds when he turned 1 September but my side of the family is rather large with a lot of babies roughly the same age.

We had a marquee in the garden, BBQ, cake, photographs , few glasses of champnage for the adults. Was nice

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Tue 03-Jan-17 19:37:52

Have the party and invite the group. It can be very isolating indeed being a first time mum and you need all the friends you can get. If you invite them somewhere, there's a good chance they will invite you somewhere later. That's how friends are made!

Shantotto Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:00

I had a party for my 1 year old. It was in the park and it was me, DP, DS and then some of my closest friends - all childless!

It was more a let's enjoy a tasty cake and drink some wine in the park and congratulate me on having kept a human alive for a year sort of thing.

I had some NCT friends but I didn't invite them! DS ate a few rice cakes then went to sleep and I had a great time with my friends.

NerrSnerr Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:32

I personally wouldn't do anything too pricy or involved. I'd just have a get together with tea and cake. Id wait until she'll appreciate an elaborate party.

Christmascrackedit Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:37

In the past I would say waste of money, baby won't remember. But now, after having a baby, I would say you should celebrate getting through the first year! wine

Maybe spend the ££ on some lovelybuffet food (m&s?) and a nice cake and just have close friends and family round the house.

I'm assuming DF is offering to pay for a softplay party, which imo is only good if you do have a lot of other baby friends They often have a minimum of 10 kids for around £10 per kid. I don't think I know 10 kids well enough to pay around £100 for a party!

EineKleine Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:39

Does your DF definitely mean party for mum baby friends rather than family party? A lot of people seem to do family gatherings for 1st birthdays.

Go ahead and invite baby group mums if you want to. I think they are more for the adults than the children at that age but if you think you'll enjoy it, why not?

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:48

That does sound lovely, pink. DS is the first baby in our family, and DP's family live too far away to attend, so we could only invite other babies from classes/groups.

MummyToThree479 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:39:27

I had a party When mine turned 1.

We always hired the church hall, had about 20 other babies, had cake and the babies played with toys. A few sandwiches, finger food bits. Us adults had a glass of wine, a chat and nibbles

EineKleine Tue 03-Jan-17 19:39:57

Sorry, cross posted, slow typist!

SparkleShinyGlitter Tue 03-Jan-17 19:42:40

Mines not 1 until August but I intend to have a little party.

When my god daughter was 1 my friend had a party nothing huge just a cake/nibbles and she put a fair few toys out in the hall for the children. The adults had a glass of fizz and some different more grown up nibbles. She had someone take some photos which turned out lovely.

formerbabe Tue 03-Jan-17 19:43:09

Just do tea and cake at home for family and your new friends and their babies...I wouldn't spend much at all. Tea,cake and sandwiches is plenty. Blow up some balloons for the babies...They won't be interested in actual party games or anything like that.

TweedleDee3TweedleDum Tue 03-Jan-17 20:05:56

Tea and cake does sound good. Maybe I'll suggest having afternoon tea somewhere, and a cake brought out for DS...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now