Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go walking on beaches in the middle of January?

(103 Posts)
MtheWad Tue 03-Jan-17 16:49:59

My DP wants to take me away for my birthday (mid Jan) with our lo, (7 months old). I've told him it sounds lovely but I'd rather have a nice meal just the two of us than spend my birthday going for long walks in the cold (most likely rain too) along the beaches on the south coast. He thinks this is very strange. I wouldn't mind if it was autumn and it was cold and sunny but January is miserable aibu? Does anyone else think a beach in the middle of winter is the perfect family day out?

MeredithsTequila Tue 03-Jan-17 16:52:04

YABU. I love a good bracing walk, then a lovely meal somewhere wam and cosy.

Do you need to book a hotel or could you wait to see the weather?

Big jacket, hat, scarf. Be grand.

MLGs Tue 03-Jan-17 16:53:21

It sounds nice to me but if you don't want to then yanbu. It's your birthday not his!

Ilovecaindingle Tue 03-Jan-17 16:53:25

Sounds like a normal day.
We live at the beach... shock

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:09

It's your birthday treat so it's not unreasonable to choose something you would enjoy. He can walk on the beach on his own birthday!

AmeliaJack Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:10

If it's your birthday you get to choose.

SparkleShinyGlitter Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:39

I love a winter beach walk. When we pop and see family that live near a beach we always go for a walk- one of life's pleasure imo

Mol1628 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:57

I'd love it. Beaches are better when it's cold and there's very few people.

But if you don't want to that's fine.

DustyMaiden Tue 03-Jan-17 16:54:59

I love Cornwall anytime, a bit of hiking and you won't be cold.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 03-Jan-17 16:55:08

We do it all the time as we live at the beach but it's not that fun if you have a 7 month old so I understand where you're coming from.

Christmasnoooooooooooo Tue 03-Jan-17 16:55:24

Beach is lovely in winter on a sunny day. There were hundreds on bouremouth beach yesterday. Some were in beach hut . Some where having beach day with deck chairs and windbreakers and a few blankets. Some beaches are lovely in sun whatever time of year.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Tue 03-Jan-17 16:56:18

I walk to the beach everyday but that doesn't mean that you (or anyone else) would enjoy it for their birthday treat. Decide what you'd enjoy, communicate this clearly to your fella and enjoy your birthday.

Skang Tue 03-Jan-17 16:56:23

I'd love it. My DH hates it though.

Figure17a Tue 03-Jan-17 16:56:58

Beaches are much better in winter imo but yes, it's your birthday

witsender Tue 03-Jan-17 16:57:14

Yabu, we are on the beach most days come rain or shine! But you like what you like. Maybe a weekend elsewhere.

FatGreen Tue 03-Jan-17 16:57:37

I'm with your DH, but my DH would be of your opinion.

TheNaze73 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:57:40

It's your birthday, so your call.

Personally, I'd love that

RockyTop Tue 03-Jan-17 16:57:59

I love a nice winter walk on the beach. I did grow up in a seaside tourist hotspot though so associate with happy memories of having the town 'back' from the tourists!

statetrooperstacey Tue 03-Jan-17 16:58:18

Beach walking with a pushchair is shite, in fact most 'family days out ' with a baby are shite, they don't know or appreciate anything and just cramp your style! Ask him if you can just have the moneygrin

Katedotness1963 Tue 03-Jan-17 17:00:16

I'm from the north of Scotland and there's no weather that's bad for a beach walk! The wind whipping around and the smell of the sea clears your mind and sorts your worries. I'm sure my depression is down to living landlocked now.

MrsMeeseeks Tue 03-Jan-17 17:01:50

Your choice, but I love walking in all weathers, especially by the sea. We went down to the South coast at new year to throw stones in the sea.

Badhairday1001 Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:03

I would love it, but it's your birthday so you should do something you enjoy.

TitaniasCloset Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:03

I'm with Stacey beach walking with a pushchair is a nightmare. Especially on a pebbly beach.

gleam Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:11

YANBU. Fucking freezing!

Stopyourmessingaround Tue 03-Jan-17 17:03:59

This was my beautiful beach run along the Poole/Bournemouth beachfront this morning. Very buggy friendly and lots of baby-friendly pubs and cafes. Don't write the idea off but completely understand it's your birthday and definitely up to you how you spend it. When I had littlies I was desperate for some time away from them x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now