Talk

Advanced search

Maybe not AIBU but I'm so sad to put my beloved cat down

(25 Posts)
InaMuddlepuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 15:03:25

Sorry if this isn't an AIBU but I'm just so sad that we suddenly had to put our cat down this morning. It was completely unexpected and he developed saddle thrombosis which is an awful, painful disease and our poor boy was put down within 30mins of symptoms starting (basically the time to get him assessed over the phone and in the car!).

He was an amazing cat and still so young. Just sad I guess and can't stop crying. Then I try to tell myself to get a grip!!! sad

Lilicat1013 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:16:19

I'm so sorry for your loss. Try to remember you did the best and kindest thing under the circumstances. You don't need to get a grip, it's normal to grieve, especially when it has been so sudden and you have had no time to prepare yourself.

Fuckingnamechanged Tue 03-Jan-17 15:18:52

flowers so sorry sad you did the best thing for him and he won't be suffering thanks to you. It's not much help but I'm thinking of you today xx

I8toys Tue 03-Jan-17 15:19:06

So sorry for your loss. Even though you will miss him dreadfully you did the right and best thing for him. You are allowed to be sad and to grieve him - they are a huge part of our family lives.

ApocalypseMeow Tue 03-Jan-17 15:30:28

So sorry you have had to have your lovely boy put to sleep flowers It must have been such a shock being so sudden and of course you will be upset, they are such a big part of your life and family. I still can cry about my beautiful ginger boy cat, who was put to sleep last May. He had a long term illness that eventually his body couldn't cope with and his heart began to fail. Being pts was the kindest thing and the vet was so kind, he went to sleep cuddled on my knee eating his favourite treat sad I'm sure your boy had a wonderful life with you and you will be able to look back and smile at all the lovely memories you have of him, though if you are anything like me there will be plenty of tears too, which is only natural. Be kind to yourself flowers

InaMuddlepuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 15:36:12

Thank you for the lovely messages, set me off again but in a nice way. It's the shock really as it was so quick, plus a horrible way for him to go. Luckily we have lots of family looking after us so we are in good hands

InaMuddlepuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 15:37:22

And sorry for your loss apocalypse, very sad for you too flowers

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 03-Jan-17 15:38:27

So sorry for your loss. Been through it several times and it never gets any better even if it is the right thing to do.

flowers

BantyCustards Tue 03-Jan-17 15:38:40

Oh I'm so very sorry.

LadyOfTheCanyon Tue 03-Jan-17 15:39:31

Oh that's so sad -you poor thing.. What an awful shock. When we take on a pet we make an unspoken promise to do the right and kindest thing by them, whatever that may be. I'm so sorry you've lost your gorgeous boy, but he didn't suffer for long and what you did was out of the boundless love we feel for our pets. It's fine to grieve. I still cry over my darling toothless and deaf old lump of a cat who's been gone 3 years now, despite having a new beast of a thing leaping about the place. As Meow said, be kind to yourself. flowers

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 03-Jan-17 15:42:50

flowers

Losing a family pet is very hard and your reactions are normal really.

I still tear up occasionally over having my cat put to sleep (due to kidney failure) because she was my friend as well as a companion to me.

You gave your cat a nice life when he was with you all as his cat guardians and you have not let him suffer, take comfort from those facts.

Do consider getting another cat when you feel ready to do so.

JangleBalls Tue 03-Jan-17 15:46:40

flowers It's so awful to lose a pet. sad

5000candlesinthewind Tue 03-Jan-17 15:46:49

You poor thing, what a shock that must have been for you. Your lovely cat will be pain free now and eating all the dreamies he can manage!

I think the end is coming for my lovely cat too. I'm dreading it

flapjackfairy Tue 03-Jan-17 15:48:38

I had to stay with my last cat when he was put to sleep a couple of yrs ago.
I was in bits for days and even now cant think of it without getting upset.
My daughter wants another one but i cant face ever being in that situation again.
And i am even not a massive animal person ! So you have my sincere sympathies and give yourself room and time to grieve your loss. It is v hard xx

InaMuddlepuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 15:57:11

I'm just so relieved we were there as we were originally meant to be away for the night but cancelled as children unwell. I dread to think if we hadn't been home to rush him to vets, poor thing.
It's definitely the worst part of having a much loved pet,
Watching them go even though you know it's the right thing to do.
Just so sad as children we getting to an age where they were starting to have a relationship with him, the eldest adored him and I was looking forward to having him a good few more years.
He has a low grade heart murmur so we were prepared for that to eventually make him ill but this was so sudden...
My poor husband is in bits too. He really was our "baby" before our human babies came along sad

MissClimpsonsTypingBureau Tue 03-Jan-17 16:02:41

flowers brewcake I'm so sorry.

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 03-Jan-17 16:06:12

I lost my 'Phoenix' a few weeks ago, gorgeous little ginger girl. Very very affectionate. She was a bit off colour, lost some weight very very quickly but her tummy was still big. Got her to the vets, diagnosis was a tumour due to feline leukaemia, was all over 5 mins later, broke my heart in two. She was 5. My eldest was inconsolable, we'd had her since Dd was 3. One day we'll be ready for another one but not yet.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Tue 03-Jan-17 16:06:53

That is so sad you did do the best thing for him flowers of course you are not being unreasonable he was your little kitty

I still have a little cry now and then over my cat i had pts 13 years ago she was an absolute terror character but she was my little fluffy monster

Cry away it will be comforting at some point he isn't in any pain

AragornsManlyStubble Tue 03-Jan-17 16:07:00

Posted too soon!

flowers I'm so sorry for your loss.

TheCatsMother99 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:12:33

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's upsetting anyway but then when you add shock on top it's somehow worse.

Don't get a grip, cry your eyes out as it'll make you feel better. Your cat was very lucky to have you. flowers

NonStopNeuroticCabaret Tue 03-Jan-17 16:21:15

I'm so sorry xx we lost our cat to saddle thrombosis in 2007; I was 20 weeks pg with DS1 and our cat died on Mother's Day. I remember so clearly the shock and terror of finding him and rushing to the emergency vet, only to have to watch him be PTS.

Look after yourself OP.

HeirOfNothingInParticular Tue 03-Jan-17 16:26:53

Sorry to hear about your Kitty. Our best cat ever died 5 years ago, and I still think about him every day and miss him so much sad He was attacked by a dog and I didn't want to lose him so hung for a couple of days hoping he would pull through but he had to be put to sleep. I wish I had done it earlier and he didn't suffer. You did the only thing you could do.

We have two other boys that have moved in as they have seen a spare place, but I think they are quite old and probably not going to be around much longer

Footinmouthasusual Tue 03-Jan-17 16:39:27

So so sorry op. All us animal lovers totally understand and it's just so upsetting. flowers lots of love to you all xx

DonutParade Tue 03-Jan-17 16:52:57

Much love to you and so sorry for your loss. Just want to commend you for doing the best thing for him. I have had to pts many of mine over the years. You mustn't think you need to get a grip, he was your little friend and you should grieve for the little chap.

InaMuddlepuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 16:55:07

Thanks again everyone, it helps to hear that others understand. And I'm sorry to everyone who has lost their furry friends, very sad.
I've decided to cry my eyes out today, early to bed then get up with children and get out for the day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now