Talk

Advanced search

To not send DS to nursery tomorrow

(15 Posts)
Ames33 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:32:44

My DS is 3.5. He goes to nursery and is starting on full day tomorrow (first full day he will have done)
Anyway, he had a chest infection a couple of weeks before chrimbo, and had antibiotics. He still has the cough but seemed to get much better. Over the last 4 nights he has been waking up from around 3am till 6am with temp up to 39.9! I give him ibuprofen and after a while it goes down. He doesn't seem poorly when awake, just a bit agitated with being so hot. He is ok in the day, maybe slight temps up to 38. He also has a few spots on his face.
I'm taking him to the GP this afternoon.
I'm not comfortable with him going in to nursery tomorrow (particularly as he sleeps until 10am after he has been awake). My DP thinks I'm being silly and that he should go.
The nursery are not very understanding (he has had quite a bit of time off since he started as he is picking up every bug, and has asthma so ends up with breathing difficulties) the nursery have told me that we will probs get our funding cut, but I am going to speak to the council about this.
Am I being PFB ( hope I have used the acronym rights!!) or would you keep him off?
Thanks

canteatcustard Tue 03-Jan-17 13:36:58

you are his mother, you know best esp if you are the one doing most of the care and getting up at night to look after him. i think you have good reason to hold off and send him in next week.

AntiQuitty Tue 03-Jan-17 13:38:36

Not being PFB at all! Illness, chest infection probably returned plus asthma, definitely keep him off. His body needs to recover. Your DP's attitude is quite concerning with regards to overlooking obvious illness and lack of compassion for his little boy.

DonutParade Tue 03-Jan-17 13:41:01

Not PFB at all.

Oysterbabe Tue 03-Jan-17 13:41:35

At my nursery they aren't allowed in unless their temperature has been below 37.8 for 24 hours. Yanbu.

PeachBellini123 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:41:37

See what the GP says but he doesn't sound well enough to go in at all. I'm still recovering from a chest infection that startes before Christmas, can only imagine how a young child with asthma must feel.

Ames33 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:43:19

I feel I may have misrepresented DP. I am quite anxious when it comes to illness and he is like my voice of reason. He is a great support and always says at the end of the day he will go with whatever I say. I just wondered if anyone thought I was being a bit over protective!! Xx

Starlight2345 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:46:38

No not PFB at all...IF your attendence drops below a certain level the nursery will not get all there funding..However this is not your issue...Your DC is what is important.

When my DS was in hospital .I kept him at home for 3 weeks nursery were encouraging me to return him. He went back when I thought he was ready.

Put your son's needs first..This is nursery not school

AntiQuitty Tue 03-Jan-17 13:49:54

He's not really a voice of reason in this instance though is he? He's decided you're silly rather than look at the actual facts of the high temp, sleeping and asthma. You already understand that otherwise you would've trusted him rather than asked on here.

Ilovenannyplum Tue 03-Jan-17 13:52:36

YANBU, if he's poorly and you're able to stay at home with him then keep him with you. Duvet and films and cuddles.

As PP said, my DS's nursery won't take them with a temp and it seems silly to take them if you know that you'll end up going back to get them anyway.

Hope he feels better soon

Ames33 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:57:04

I think because he is acting so normal in the day time that DP thinks that he would do fine at nursery. I'm just not so sure!! I'll see the GP and probs keep him off tomorrow. See what he is like on Friday.
DP says he didn't mean that I am silly, he just doesn't want me to panic about the LO. He really is a great dad and husband!! Xx

Ames33 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:08:21

Little man has tonsillitis. He's not complained of it hurting so didn't think it would be that!
No antibiotics but back to docs on Friday to see how he is going on.
No nursery this week.
Thanks everyone. Xx

BIgBagofJelly Tue 03-Jan-17 18:10:36

Glad it got sorted. Have to say some nurseries and schools sound completely ridiculous about time off for illness. Fair enough if they have reason to suspect the parent just can't be bothered to bring them, or are staying at home with a minor sniffle but I can't stand the pressure to drug up sick kids so they can be miserable at school and make everyone else ill too.

PurpleMinionMummy Tue 03-Jan-17 18:17:36

I've never heard of funding being cut! Nursery isn't even compulsory fgs. If a kids ill, they're ill.

Ames33 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:18:18

I know, my thoughts exactly!
I asked for the number of the funding people and they have said they will speak to them and explain. I wonder if they are spinning me a yarn....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now