Talk

Advanced search

Ernest Jones are the worst

(25 Posts)
Rickandmorty Tue 03-Jan-17 00:46:02

Aibu?
I got my engagement ring 20 months ago. In October a stone fell out (cluster diamond, not crazy expensive). I took it to an independent jewellers who said lots of diamonds looked loose and it looked poorly made and shouldn't really be sold as an engagement ring. I took it to Ernest Jones and the store agreed to fix it for free.

Got it back, wore it for 1 day and another diamond fell out. Took it to the store and the manager said it was my fault for hitting it (in one day?)- when I queried this she said it was 'easily done' because I had so many small diamonds and if I had one big diamond like hers then it would be less likely to have broken.

Anyway it got sent off and it is going to cost £110 for a new diamond. I don't really want to pay because I think you buy an engagement ring for life and I have had it just over 18 months! If I pay £110 every so often it will be a ridiculous amount of money.

I'm considering saying that I just don't want it back.

Aibu ? Also- wwyd?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 03-Jan-17 00:53:08

The stuff re one big stone vs lots of smaller = crap. Total nonsense.

Always always use independent jewellers. You're more likely to get somebody who actually knows what they're dealing with and they take better care of their customers.

I'd be requesting a full refund on account of it not being fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

Rickandmorty Tue 03-Jan-17 00:54:32

Always always use independent jewellers.
Well I know that now! grin

waiting4inspiration Tue 03-Jan-17 01:08:20

Have a read of this OP. www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act Particularly relevant if you scroll down is the advice for a product more than 6 months old.

As they accepted the ring was faulty and repaired for free only for another diamond to fall out within 24 hours, I think you have grounds to ask for a full refund (if that's what you want). Whether they'll give it to you without taking them to the small claims court is another matter. Would the independent jeweller you took the ring to be prepared to write a report for you to support it being badly made? You'd have to pay for this but hopefully be able to add the cost of the report to any claim.

Don't accept a repair they want you to pay for - that would be like admitting that the ring was damaged by you. And don't be fobbed off with the suggestion that a cluster ring is easily broken - it's only easily broken if it's badly made. FFS, it's an engagement ring and meant to be worn for many years to come!

waiting4inspiration Tue 03-Jan-17 01:25:47

Sorry OP read your thread over again and realised i's gone back for another repair. Did you agree to pay for this before they sent it off?

I think you need to make it clear that you refuse to pay for the repair of a faulty product, you want it back un-repaired and you will be taking them to the small claims court for a full refund. Probably a good idea to put everything in writing to both the store you bought it from and copy to their head office.

TheWoodlander Tue 03-Jan-17 01:33:20

Yanbu, but I think all High St jewellers are pretty similar.

I don't know if it was Ernest Jones, but DH bought me a solid gold bangle for my birthday. It sort of came apart (snapped in one place) within a couple of months, so he took it back.

With a straight face, the Manager told him 'well, it's not for every day use you know - it's occasional wear'. It's a gold bangle! I've had bracelets from Accessorize that lasted longer confused

He had to argue and argue and argue - but we did get a replacement. So I suggest you go back and do the same. They really tried to fob him off, the cheeky sods.

We do impressions of her now: "Well you didn't actually expect to wear it, did you??" in a haughty voice. grin

kel12345 Tue 03-Jan-17 01:42:44

That's terrible. That shouldn't happen, especially from a jewellers of their reputation. The fact they are trying to blame you speaks volumes to me. Also to suggest that "if you had another type or style ring it would be less likely", it's your choice what style diamond you have.
They should resolve the problem. As you say, an engagement ring is in theory for life, worn every day.
(I'd be so upset if it were me. I have a solitaire diamond as that's what I wanted. But still. I wouldn't expect stones to fall out a ring like the way you described.

itsalldyingout Tue 03-Jan-17 02:02:42

Ah, Ernest Jones - masters of marketing. Chocolate diamonds, my arse! If you want a brown/champagne diamond, great. Just don't pay through the nose for one. In the trade, they're pretty much considered worthless. Though I will say that I have seen a few that are a pretty hue. It still doesn't mean they should be selling them for their highly inflated prices.

Sorry if that sounds snobby as I don't mean it to. I just wish these companies would sell at an honest pricing point instead of under a romantic marketing ploy.

A friend dragged me shopping for engagement ring advice. I couldn't believe the crappy stones EJ are selling for way more than my local independent sells lovely quality ones.

Sales lady also trotted out the crap about loads of little stones costing the same as one large one.

I feel so bad for all the people who think they're doing the right thing getting a ring from High Street jewellers. Especially the ones that don't last the course and expect a fair whack of what they paid back when they try re-selling.

For anyone reading this, find a good independent who'll sit down with you and show you different quality stones under a loupe. A lot will be honest about whether or not they'd buy back if something goes wrong. If they try to sell you i-grade stones as quality, walk away. I noticed a lot of i-grades in EJ, asked if they were 1, 2 or 3 and was given a load of waffle about there being no difference. She also said that the heavily included, cloudy, cracked ice looking stones were the best! With this comment, I dragged him back out and sat him down with an independent.

Also, a little tip - wear a Cubic Zirconium ring of a similar stone size you want. If the diamonds are considerably yellower or cloudier than the CZ, the stone isn't great and shouldn't be sold as being a high-grade stone. Ideally, you want as white as possible in your price range - though I have seen many lower colours take on a vanilla hue which can look lovely. It all depends on the individual stone and what the new owner wants.

Most decent shops will also have a card showing the colour and clarity grades. Ask to see it so you can compare what they're selling.

I know a shiny new ring is lovely, but you'll get a lot more for your money if you consider pre-owned. They're cleaned up and often re-set in a modern setting so you'd never know it was s/h. With older stones (you can tell by the cut), you also know you're not getting blood diamonds.

Search Goodoldgold. They have loads of information on diamonds on Youtube.

OP - so sorry you're having to put up with a load of bull about something that should give you nothing but pleasure to wear. Don't accept it, make the most of your consumer rights as mentioned above.

Tartyflette Tue 03-Jan-17 02:08:35

Fantastic advice, itsall. I take it you're in the business?

itsalldyingout Tue 03-Jan-17 02:14:34

Oh, and don't get me started on Clogau with their Touch of Welsh Gold marketing. The designs are lovely, but quality has gone downhill enormously since they now make their pieces in China!

Touch must be right these days, too - each piece has so little Welsh gold in it that it must just be touching the nugget, not incorporating any. So sad to see the quality suffering for the sake of popularity and profit.

Again, OP, sorry I've gone off on a tangent. It doesn't help you at all. But you are definitely NOTbu.

Can you get your local Trading Standards involved? Or the local press? Good luck.

itsalldyingout Tue 03-Jan-17 02:15:14

Many moons ago, Tartyflette. You?

Tartyflette Tue 03-Jan-17 02:47:14

Afraid not, Itsall -- but I'm going to C&P your advice upthread for when I next go diamond shopping . But that's not likely to be any time soon sad

Rickandmorty Tue 03-Jan-17 09:04:17

Thank you for the advice everyone. I definitely feel like a fool for shopping there in the first place!
Going to have to gear myself up to go and argue I suppose...

Snowflakes1122 Tue 03-Jan-17 09:09:25

Yanbu. We were going to get my engagement ring there. Ordered it, they called to say it's arrived but the diamonds fallen out, don't worry we'll fix it. Told them not to bother! Glad we did.

I'd try and get a refund and buy somewhere else.

FOOSAYS Mon 03-Jul-17 22:36:59

Hi Rickandmorty,

Did you ever get this resolved?

We bought an engagement ring from Ernest Jones in June 2014 and over that past 3 years it has needed a stone replaced 5 times.

The assistant manager of the store finally admitted to "design fault" but did not fully refund the ring as it is 3 years old now.

They have given us the option to swap it for another ring, but are asking the £164 difference.

Ideally we would like the full refund so we can put it towards a far superior item. What was your outcome, it would be very handy for how we proceed.

Many thanks,

RoseVase2010 Mon 03-Jul-17 22:47:51

We looked at EJ but compared to our local independent antique retailer they looked like tat, they seem to fill the shop with hundreds of spot lights so that even a lump of coal would sparkle. The independent shop relied mostly on day light.

As itsalldyingout says, the staff in the independents are great, we narrowed it down to two rings and she advised me to go for the less expensive or the two as it was set it platinum so would stand up to a beating.

As for wedding bands we got ours made by a local independent jeweller and it's not as costly as you'd think.

Basically send it back, get a refund and go independent!

Madwoman5 Tue 04-Jul-17 02:12:32

My grans engagement ring was 17 diamonds set in gold. It has been regularly worn since 1924. Never lost a stone.

Groupie123 Tue 04-Jul-17 05:14:07

This is why I use my local Indian jewellers. Jewellry is often cheaper and better made.

Itwillbefine Tue 04-Jul-17 05:43:03

We bought my engagement ring from Mappin and Webb, I'd had a ring for my 21st from there, thought it was a quality shop. They damaged my ring resizing it and had to get it totally remade, but the shop assistant tried to tell me it wasn't damaged.

I was told by an independent it's just an expensive chain. I definitely wouldn't buy anything there again.

Whenwillthesunshine Tue 04-Jul-17 06:24:10

I brought a ring from there about 15 years ago within 2 weeks a stone had fallen out while I was asleep, got a lot of hassle about not having the stone but finally got a full refund and haven't brought anything since.

BumWad Tue 04-Jul-17 06:31:04

Wow itsall good advice

Saying that I have a platinum EJ wedding and engagement ring, my wedding ring has lots of little stones the rings still look good and the stones are intact. I have been married 8 years so they were bought a while ago!

Question for you itsall - my diamond engagement ring came with a certificate- is it worthless? Also the stone is very white and bright not yellow at all

BunsOfAnarchy Tue 04-Jul-17 06:49:22

Certificate's authenticate the colour clarity and cut and are handy when it comes to valuations.
Brother got his wife a Forever diamind ring in platinum from h samuel around 7 years ago and it still stuns people...no issues from a high street sore...

After working 7 years for a high street jeweller (let's call this place....S Hamuel) and having a brilliant staff discount available to me from EJ as a perk, hubby opted for an independent place for my ring where we chose the diamond separately from the mount. It was way cheaper and better quality

There will always be a a quality difference with High St and independent because high St will always have mass produced items that cater for the general public.

@Rickandmorty you are within your right's to refuse this repair and in fact call up their customer services about it and open a case with them.
Tell them everything you have said here including the snide managers comments. It feels like you were almost bullied into sending it off...plus they are MEANT to check the rest of the claws when they carry out repairs and make sure the other stones are not loose..so unless you threw the ring at a wall i can't see the diamond coming out if they actually made the effort to check they were secure. The store manager sounds like a complete DICK. They fixed it after 20 months for free....so wtf happend like what a month later once u had it back?

Don't be bullied into this. Most HS and EJ store staff are brilliant and would shudder reading how you were treated. Id go customer services. Immediately. Good luck xx

DanceMumBigBum Tue 04-Jul-17 07:00:20

Hi op. Out of interest, are the diamonds claw or tension set?

I worked for EJ done year's ago... From experience, the tension set rings (not all diamonds held in by claws) are much more likely to have problems wherever they are made, but EJ do make particularly poor ones. Most were fine, but once a repair was required on one once I was never surprised to see it back again.

My strong advice is to deal with one of the managers only. Don't let it go through multiple members of staff, most of which won't know what they are talking about and the general poor admin and communication is slower the more people involved! If you are not satisfied this time (you said it's away again?) bypass the store and deal directly with customer services, who used to at least be a lot more helpful and with a lot more discretion and sense. Can you say which store you are dealing with?

If it is not fit for purpose, you could push for a refund but I think they know most people are going to want to keep their original engagement ring sad. You could push to get all the diamonds reset?

Hope you get it sorted op flowers

DanceMumBigBum Tue 04-Jul-17 07:02:52

Also meant to say, I would call cs and question why you should pay for a faulty repair (1 day!), before it gets back. Repairs are guaranteed to a certain extent.

NoFucksImAQueen Tue 04-Jul-17 07:41:09

Yanbu
Iv had stones added to my ring that are tiny and they've stood up to loads of things. I never take my rings off so wore them during diy, washing up etc.
They were added in by and independent Jeweller

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now