Talk

Advanced search

foot in mouth

(7 Posts)
growlerisnotaporkpie Mon 02-Jan-17 22:12:23

Who else puts their foot in it all the time?!!
In general chitchat I asked if someones Mum was a lesbian ooops!
I am bad
I didn't even think or blush, he said his mum was shopping with her girlfriend I said 'Oh so she is a lesbian?'
Shoot me now

Footinmouthasusual Mon 02-Jan-17 22:14:56

See my username grin

Yes I am a complete twat for this.

Twatternatter Mon 02-Jan-17 22:16:42

I tend to talk about people when THEY'RE RIGHT BEHIND ME! Shame blush

Farmmummy Mon 02-Jan-17 22:17:38

I have a tendency to be a bit like that to DHs embarrassment but that's a classic! I have been accused of opening mouth before engaging brain

plimsolls Mon 02-Jan-17 22:23:23

I used to get a bit confused when people referred to their mates as their "girlfriend". I was at a new hairdressers and she was talking about some issue to do with preschool education, illustrating it with anecdotes about her girlfriend and her girlfriend's child. I just assumed she meant romantic girlfriend as I hadn't really heard anyone use the term differently. I then proceeded to thoroughly confuse things by assuming they were bringing up the child together and referring to the mother as "your partner" and asking questions about what they had decided to do. It wasn't until hairdresser repeatedly mentioned her husband that the penny dropped and I understood why the conversation had become so strangely stilted. I felt very uncool at not knowing the latest lingo blush

I still don't see why she couldn't have just said "my friend" though.

lougle Mon 02-Jan-17 22:27:01

Tbh, I doubt anyone would blink at that question, and nor should they: it's not a rare phenomenon now.

I often have slow-motion realisation that I'm putting my foot in it - I can hear it happening but not quite fast enough to stop it.

MaidOfStars Mon 02-Jan-17 22:58:45

Who asks someone about the sexual relationships/preferences of their mother?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now