Talk

Advanced search

To not wash my fruit and veg before cooking/eating?

(285 Posts)
AmserGwin Mon 02-Jan-17 20:30:56

Inspired by the bin thread. How many of you actually wash your fruit and/or veg before eating or cooking it? I never have, do people really do this?

AmserGwin Mon 02-Jan-17 20:31:48

Suppose that should be rinse rather than wash

essieestherson Mon 02-Jan-17 20:31:52

No I never have... not unless it looks really dirty!

Murphysgirl Mon 02-Jan-17 20:32:50

Yes always do unless it is something that is to be peeled.

Fairylea Mon 02-Jan-17 20:33:56

Yes I always do ever since I got horrendous poisoning from an unwashed lettuce I ate once. The chemicals in it literally made my eyesight feel like I was swimming. I am 100% certain it was the lettuce as no one else ate it. Since then I always wash everything.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Mon 02-Jan-17 20:33:59

Never even occurred to me. Unless it's muddy or something and I give it a run under the tap and rub it a bit.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:34:10

No I don't. I also think nothing of picking something off the floor if it's fallen and eating it....I've always been a big believer of developing a good immune system through things like this! Our family are rarely ill so maybe there's something in it!

Blink1982 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:34:48

Nope I never do for fruit... unless there's something suspect looking on there. Veg is generally getting boiled or roasted anyway so f I've not peeled the skin off the germs will die in cooking.

Ohdearducks Mon 02-Jan-17 20:36:17

I never used to but found out you can get tape worm (I think) and other parasites from unwashed fruit and veg so now I do because it made me paranoid.

ChuckSnowballs Mon 02-Jan-17 20:37:02

Yes if I have grown it as it will probably have some bugs on it. If it is bought it may have all sorts on it. Always wash fruit and veg.

misscph1973 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:37:13

I will rinse fruit and veg that is to be eaten raw if it's imported, as it will have bacteria that we are not used to. But other than that I actually make a point of not washing fruit/veg unless it's dirty to make sure I get bacteria. We live in a very sanitised world, and we were not meant to.

Tigresswoods Mon 02-Jan-17 20:38:22

I don't. My aunt was shocked by this over the Christmas break but it really doesn't occur to me as to why I would.

I don't get dodgy tummy ever.

bertsdinner Mon 02-Jan-17 20:38:32

Never wash veg as its boiled anyway, unless its really dirty.
Give fruit a wipe but never wash.
I would wash lettuce if I bought it whole, but not tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.

AmserGwin Mon 02-Jan-17 20:39:17

So those of you that do wash it? I assume rinse it under the tap and rub it? Or do you put it in a colander or something? depending on what it is obviously

macymacy Mon 02-Jan-17 20:39:35

If someone is in the kitchen while I'm cooking, always. If I'm on my own, never 😄

pklme Mon 02-Jan-17 20:40:48

Ii don't wash anything much. Leeks, anything which looks grubby... Nothing else.

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-Jan-17 20:41:12

I wash salad (in case of bugs/soil), but not veg that is going to be boiled.

I wash fruit if it's not the peeling type. No idea what it may have been sprayed with.

Klaphat Mon 02-Jan-17 20:42:09

The only time I don't is if I've bought a punnet of e.g. raspberries on the way to some all-day thing and don't mind chancing it. An outbreak of norovirus was traced to a batch of frozen raspberries a few years ago. You have no idea what/who has touched your fruit and veg.

Vixxfacee Mon 02-Jan-17 20:42:21

I do. Then dry with kitchen roll.

maddiemookins16mum Mon 02-Jan-17 20:42:30

Right so, peel and cut carrots, potatoes, parsnips and the usual root veg.....give em a quick rinse. Leeks, cabbage, broccoli, yes. I rinse.

Nquartz Mon 02-Jan-17 20:43:09

Never & we're rarely ill as a household either. DM doesn't & she's still around too so can't be too dangerous

bookbook Mon 02-Jan-17 20:43:37

I wash or rinse mine.
Fruit that is bought can have all sorts of sprays on it, so unless it is peeled, I run it under the tap and dry with a tea towel.
I grow a lot of my own veg, so is often slightly muddy, so its washed in a bowl of cold water, prepped for cooking/eating then put in a colander to drain.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 02-Jan-17 20:43:39

Never. Though if I have guests and am pretending I always use a salad spinner, I have that embarrassing farce of not really knowing how to put it together.
I think I should though, more because of chemicals than mud

Gymnopedies Mon 02-Jan-17 20:43:40

Yes, rinse and rub down well. It's not for germs, it's to remove the chemicals that might still be here (am a bit more lenient when it's organic but even organic products can have stuff on them that is inedible).

Artandco Mon 02-Jan-17 20:43:40

No. Only buy organic veg and fruit also so figure it shouldn't be covered in too much crap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now