Talk

Advanced search

To use 2nd reception room as a bedroom?

(24 Posts)
MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 19:49:54

Looking to move house with a low budget. Aibu to rent smaller house and then use the 2nd reception room as a bedroom?

If you were a landlord what would you think of this ?

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 02-Jan-17 19:50:32

It's fine! I think a lot of people who live with an elderly relative do this.

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 19:51:24

Thank you ^^ I am looking to move with an elderly relative

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 02-Jan-17 19:52:56

Oh it's really normal honestly, I mean it's fine anyway, but VERY common with an elderly person as the stairs can become a struggle for them flowers

Katinkka Mon 02-Jan-17 19:54:21

I use my third reception room as a bedroom. I'm in it now as I sleep downstairs. Better we all have a room each imo.

Floggingmolly Mon 02-Jan-17 19:54:26

The landlord has no say (and I'd imagine very little interest) in how you use the rooms in your house.

BumDNC Mon 02-Jan-17 19:55:49

I do as I have no use for a 2nd reception and much use for a bedroom!

Birdsgottafly Mon 02-Jan-17 19:55:52

If your pay the rent yourself and not needing to claim benefits, then there wouldn't be an issue with this.

Badbadtromance Mon 02-Jan-17 19:56:13

I think it's a great idea

thisagain Mon 02-Jan-17 19:58:38

Very common for students. My DD spent her 2 years in rented accommodation with her bedroom being the front room of the house.

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 20:15:00

Would it be odd to have the dining table and sofa in one room ?

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 02-Jan-17 20:22:12

No. I would guess that is how a lot of homes are organised.

And one of the reasons gateleg tables were invented.

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 20:41:22

Thank you. And I love your username veryBitchyRestingFace

LeoTimmyandVi Mon 02-Jan-17 20:52:29

I do this. Lone parent to 2 children and couldn't afford a 3 bed in the area with nicer schools. Bought a small 2 bed end terrace with 2 reception rooms downstairs and I sleep downstairs. It was the only financially viable way for me to do it.

It is fine, the only annoyance is going upstairs at night for a wee as I only have one bathroom. smile

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 22:37:36

Thank you Leo Dd is keen to have the room downstairs so I won't be dealing with the toilet issue 👍🏼

dollydaydream114 Mon 02-Jan-17 22:50:03

Plenty of houses only have one reception room, so no, not odd at all. If you don't have a separate dining room and you want to eat at a table, that's obviously the only option.

As VeryBitchyRestingFace says, a gate-leg table is ideal for this set-up. It's what we had for over 10 years in our previous house, which was very small.

ThisThingCalledLife Mon 02-Jan-17 23:16:39

In my '1 bed' tenement flat i have a living room, bathroom and kitchen - with a recess which is meant to be a bedroom grin

i found a space saving way round it with these

furniture123.co.uk/olivia-day-bed-in-black_35840?refsource=fuadwords&gclid=CM6D5drIpNECFQoA0wodWdsN6g

and

www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Dining-Chairs-Butterfly-Finish/dp/B0079YHDK0

QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 23:19:44

Doesn't everybody in Coronation Street live like this?

Apart from Sally I have a conservatory don't you know Webster

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 23:20:00

Thank you this smart storage is definitely going to be helpful.

Dollydaydream I think I'm going to have to squeeze in our dining table and chairs,I'm too attached blush. But I'm glad to know it's not an odd set up ,I over think things

GreatFuckability Mon 02-Jan-17 23:26:13

What does claiming benefits have to do with anything? hmm
I claim housing benefit and use my second reception room as my bedroom because the children bicker less if they have their own rooms.

BumDNC Mon 02-Jan-17 23:27:30

Because of the bedroom tax

MummyEire Mon 02-Jan-17 23:29:21

I don't claim benefits so no issue there

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 02-Jan-17 23:29:48

The landlord would be interested in the number of people living there - as that has an impact on the wear of the house, how the individual rooms are used is no concern of theirs.

It would have to be a very popular area for the landlord to care enough about the extra occupancy enough to not rent to you.

GreatFuckability Mon 02-Jan-17 23:42:33

But the bedroom tax is only an issue if you have more bedrooms than you need not less!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now