Talk

Advanced search

U to make son's girlfriend cook?

(116 Posts)
WearyM Mon 02-Jan-17 19:06:01

I have my ds and his gf staying at the moment, they've been here nearly a week, and we have another week to go...they'e both 25 by the way. I'm a nurse, and work shifts and I am flipping tired. Am I unreasonable in asking her and ds to make the meals for the rest of the time they are here?

ILoveDolly Mon 02-Jan-17 19:07:44

I think it might be ok for them to take this on? Have you broached the subject?
Did he ever cook at home before?

Heirhelp Mon 02-Jan-17 19:07:53

Your title is confusing. I would make them both cook, with emphasis being on him not her.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Mon 02-Jan-17 19:07:53

Goady thread title - why should it be her (your guest) and not your DS? Sexist much?

Paulat2112 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:07:55

Nothing wrong with asking, as long as you ask them both.

QuandryQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 19:08:45

Why her? Why not both?

I'd say to them tonight- right I'm on shifts tues-fri so you two will need to sort out the evening meal for all of us and I'll do sat

MillionToOneChances Mon 02-Jan-17 19:08:51

You should ask you son to sort meals. Whether he divides the work with her is up to them.

WearyM Mon 02-Jan-17 19:09:14

He is not a great cook. He eats heated up pies and jars of pickles when he's on his own I suspect confused

ShowMePotatoSalad Mon 02-Jan-17 19:10:14

Did you mean to be sexist in your thread title?

Of course they should be cooking. Just ask them to.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 19:11:18

He'd better learn thenwink

Just ask him to cook and leave it to him to involve her. I wouldn't ask a guest to cook tbh.

BIWI Mon 02-Jan-17 19:11:18

I wouldn't even ask! I'd tell them that you need help and that they need to cook.

SaveYourTearsForYourPillow Mon 02-Jan-17 19:11:21

Regardless of cooking abilities if mil said this to me and not dp I'd be very hmm

Tell your son that he and his girlfriend need to sort out some meals themselves. What they do from there is up to them.

laureywilliams Mon 02-Jan-17 19:11:29

Maybe you could 'make' him cook?

ShowMePotatoSalad Mon 02-Jan-17 19:12:02

Weary so that means the women in his life are responsible for feeding him healthy food?

If he wants to eat pies etc because he can't cook then that's his problem to resolve. I'm only 3 years older than him. The idea that I couldn't look after myself and tend to my own needs is frankly laughable and infantilising.

MarcelineTheVampire Mon 02-Jan-17 19:12:39

Goady thread title- completely unreasonable to ask her IMO.

You should ask your son and then if she chooses to cook for him then that is her choice!!

WearyM Mon 02-Jan-17 19:12:46

Asking her to cook was the bigger question I suppose, seen as she's more of a guest.

NerrSnerr Mon 02-Jan-17 19:13:10

I'd be utterly pissed off if my MIL asked me to cook and not my husband. If she asked him I would of course help but it should be your son cooking. Or ask them to go and get and pay for fish and chips.

Grindelwaldswand Mon 02-Jan-17 19:13:13

She should definitely be cooking !! I wouldn't need to be asked to cook of it were me , heck i even vacuum and dust other people's houses when i stay and do the dishes wink its common courtesy to help out

CocktailQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 19:14:38

Totally wrong to expect your son's gf to cook.

Why doesn't your incompetent adult son cook?? Yabvvu.

You don't need a vulva to operate an oven.

Allthewaves Mon 02-Jan-17 19:14:41

Ask them both to cook.

NerrSnerr Mon 02-Jan-17 19:15:05

Grindel shouldn't it be the OP's son doing the cooking?

Do you ask people your visiting if it's ok to hoover before rooting in their cupboards for cleaning stuff?

Scabetty Mon 02-Jan-17 19:15:19

A 25yo who can't cook a basic meal is not independent. He may surprise you.

CocktailQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 19:15:40

But perhaps you should have considered ground rules before they came to stay, such as who cooks and how often. Saves you getting cross about it now.

ShowMePotatoSalad Mon 02-Jan-17 19:15:55

No, they're both guests. Equally. Presuming your son doesn't live with you anymore.

BrollyXmas Mon 02-Jan-17 19:16:04

You should ask them both to cook. I would be quite nervous cooking for my mil (as I'm not a great cook), but would be happy to team cook!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now