Talk

Advanced search

To go to the docs about this? Waking middle of the night with pain

(11 Posts)
Antsinpants Mon 02-Jan-17 18:38:54

Posting for traffic
I've had a coil for four years, no periods, pains etc but over the past week I've been woken up with cramps which have been so bad I've had to take pain killers. It's as close to labour pains as I've experienced since my three DCs were born, but not pregnancy (I'm 45). This has been going on all week, as mentioned, and I've been putting it down to a diet of crap food and not getting my usual amount of exercise. Has anyone ever had this before? Could my coil have moved? Pain is sporadic and tends to be at night. Not bothered by it at all during the day.

4sausages Mon 02-Jan-17 18:41:21

No idea if this could be caused by your coil, but YANBU to go to the doctor's about pain that wakes you up in the night regularly.

Birdsgottafly Mon 02-Jan-17 18:44:37

My DD had pain like you are describing and her coil had moved.

She turned out to be pregnant, because of it.

We have a Gynaecology Unit in our Maternity Hospital (Liverpool Women's), do have similar?

Phone the GP for advice, my DDs would only look at it if they fitted it and she was advised to go to a Sexual Health Clinic, if not the Hospital.

CatoSoup Mon 02-Jan-17 18:46:40

What kind of cramps? Do they come in waves (start out light, get heavier/sorer)?
Any accompanying diarrhoea at all?

Def get it checked out with a doctor!

IHeartKingThistle Mon 02-Jan-17 18:47:07

I had this on holiday. Turned out to be pregnant. No coil though.

Soubriquet Mon 02-Jan-17 18:50:40

You've just described me

Severe pain in the stomach and back. Cramps and stabbing pain followed by pressure.

They keep waking me up

I've got a severe water infection, strong antibiotics and decent painkillers

WyfOfBathe Mon 02-Jan-17 18:50:44

YANBU to go to the doctors if you're having pain like that, whether it's from the coil or something else.

Is there any chance you could be pregnant? I know the coil's supposed to last 5-10 years but things can always go wrong. And although it's 99+% effective, obviously there's a slight chance of sperm getting through.

Antsinpants Mon 02-Jan-17 18:53:34

Cato I can only liken it to labour, but not in waves iyswim? As I said, no issue at all during the day but middle of the night it is so painful that it wakens me. No diawrigglies, but seems to ease if I poo. Sorry TMI!!

Antsinpants Mon 02-Jan-17 18:56:21

Wyfe I suppose I could be pregnant, but no other symptoms plus I had ablation while getting the coil fitted (belt and braces!!) so highly unlikely. Now have the fear. Booking apt with Dr tomorrow. Thanks for your replies.

LionRichie Mon 02-Jan-17 19:13:07

Where's the pain? My gallstone pain started out waking me in the middle of the night with labour-like pain in my mid/upper-abdomen. Until I had my gallbladder out I didn't realise how many other symptoms I had resulting from the gallstones. So I'm now on a one-woman mission to make sure everyone considers gallstones no matter what their symptoms!

Antsinpants Mon 02-Jan-17 19:33:18

Lower abdomen - poor you though! Gallstones must have been horrifically painful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now