Advanced search

Heart rate of 160bpm get it checked out? Advice needed.

(81 Posts)
beggingbehind Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:01

Not to sure if I should call 111 or not. Heart rate. Normally 80 has gone to 160 at resting. Am quite stressed at moment. Also have PoTS. When that flares up heart rate normally dose t go above 120. Am light headed have fainted once feel faint. And have bad palpatations. But I have DCs at home, I hate doctors am at a loss really. But not to sure if doctors needed for heart rate (hence AIBU) don't no what to do.

PlugUgly1980 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:32:37

Definitely call 111 they can provide appropriate advice.

mamaslatts Mon 02-Jan-17 17:36:01

Can you tell if its regular or irregular? Check your pulse and you should be able to get a rough idea. That's a very fast resting pulse, plus you are symptomatic (faint) so I would go to ED. They can do an ECG and check the rhythm for you. I wouldn't expect that fast a pulse just through stress. Can you tell me what POTs is?

somewheresomehow Mon 02-Jan-17 17:36:03

ring them and ask, i think you may have to go to hosp so see if someone can have the kids

mrwalkensir Mon 02-Jan-17 17:36:04

Mine does this when I've eaten something that I have an intolerance to, but I don't have PoTS. You have the double whammy that a high pulse also feels like stress iyswim. No useful advice here - maybe give it a couple of hours if you can?

beggingbehind Mon 02-Jan-17 17:38:55

Gonna leave it an hour see if it improves and have some salt (helps PoTS if relate)
PoTS- Postural Orthostatic Tachychardia Syndrome makes your heart rate Go up on standing and if hot (for me can differ)

Summerwood1 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:39:45

You really need to get checked out. I'm the same,hate anything medical. Ring 111.

BillyDaveysDaughter Mon 02-Jan-17 17:45:28

Definitely worth getting checked out - you need an ecg and blood tests to rule out anything significant.

Not wishing to scare you, a perfectly fit and well work colleague had these symptoms, age 36. She went to her GP and was rushed in for more tests PDQ, so don't leave it...try 111 for guidance.

I hope you are OK. flowers

larrygrylls Mon 02-Jan-17 17:48:05

160 is very high. How old are you? If above 40, and definitely above 50, I would go straight to A&E.

If younger you could maybe wait a little.

sashh Mon 02-Jan-17 17:58:27


AF is an irregular heart rate not a high heart rate.

OP do you have any icecream? One 'cure' for SVT is to swallow a large lump in one, as much as you can. It can give things a jolt.

You can also try rubbing ice on the tip of your nose.

Yes I have seen both of these done in A and E.

If it continues you do need to get it checked out though.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:01:33

Definitely call 111.

I had a resting heart rate of 183 and ended up getting taken into Resus and given medication to stop and then restart my heart back into its natural rhythm.

Brokenme Mon 02-Jan-17 18:25:10

I have PoTS to and quite regularly have episodes over prolonged high heart rate however if this is abnormal for you then you should definitely get it looked at. Things that help my PoTS are electrolytes (I use a brand called Elete), compression tights, extra fluids, elevated by legs.

Brokenme Mon 02-Jan-17 18:25:38

Should read elevating my legs

beggingbehind Mon 02-Jan-17 18:52:58

It's 160 still. Have had salt and compression socks (long). Thinking this might not be completely PoTS related or anxiety really don't know what.

HicDraconis Mon 02-Jan-17 18:59:06

You really need an ECG where the rhythm can be assessed as well as the rate - different rhythms respond better to different treatment.

For an SVT you may be able to self treat it with a valsalva (take a deep breath, close your throat and then try to breathe out - as if you were straining on the loo) or with the lump of ice cream trick (odd but surprisingly effective). If it's AF or flutter they won't work. If it's a sinus tachycardia you just have to wait. If it's an accessory pathway / reentry tachcardia you may need meds or an ablation.

Nobody can tell you if it's safe to leave it or not without looking at a 12 lead ecg so I'd advise you head to the nearest place you can get one.

reallybadidea Mon 02-Jan-17 19:09:20


AF is frequently fast in addition to being irregular.

OP, as others have said you really need to be seen at the ED for a 12 lead ECG.

TheHauntedFishtank Mon 02-Jan-17 19:13:07

You need to get to A&E now. I had svt and was told firmly to phone an ambulance if the usual methods didn't stop it. It was a blue-light to resuss job because it could be something else causing it and they had to check every time. Don't take chances with your heart.

Miserylovescompany2 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:27:42

Please get yourself checked out OP. If needs be take the children with you and sort things out once you are at the hospital. Don't take a chance.

Temporaryname137 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:30:46

Go to a&e please - hope you are ok.

SheNumpty Mon 02-Jan-17 19:37:28

It really astonishes me that anyone ever comes on here to ask questions like that. 160 resting isn't normal. this is a serious thing, the least you should be doing is calling 111! There's nothing more important than your health, be overcautious, especially when it comes to your heart. Look after yourself, I hope you're OK. flowers

SheNumpty Mon 02-Jan-17 19:38:35

As PP have said, I have experience with this in my family and it's always been an ambulance job. Please don't take any chances.

finallyfinishedit Mon 02-Jan-17 19:41:34

She maybe posters don't realise how serious something is until they come on here though. Hopefully OP is getting proper help now.

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 02-Jan-17 19:43:28

Don't try to drive yourself to A&E - you've already passed out once!

Call 111.

Eroica Mon 02-Jan-17 19:48:39

I have SVT on a fairly regular basis, never heard the ice cream trick, but will definitely use that next time!

goose1964 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:51:21

I had this a few years ago, went to GP as an emergency, I had extremely high blood pressure and was told to get my prescription ant take them before leaving the chemists

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: