Talk

Advanced search

Taking down the tree

(28 Posts)
junebirthdaygirl Mon 02-Jan-17 17:26:59

I was out all day today until just now. My dh had said he would take down the tree while l was gone. I left the house at 9 this morning and arrived back to him pulling the bloody tree out of the sitting room, pine needles everywhere, doors all open letting freezing air in. AIBU to think he had the whole day to do it and it's so annoying to come home to a mess. I called him to say l would be home in 30 mins. Seems like that was when he began to pull it apart. He is in a huff now as he thought ld be delighted he was getting in done. Would you find this annoying?

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:02

To be honest, yes I would.

Footinmouthasusual Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:04

Yes

Crowdblundering Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:24

No

Footinmouthasusual Mon 02-Jan-17 17:28:58

Oh and fucking pine needles! Buy a good quality fake tree I love my John Lewis's one.

ChicRock Mon 02-Jan-17 17:29:32

Yes, very annoying.

I'd take myself off out again and tell him I'd be back in an hour once it was all done and all the mess cleaned away.

Whatsername17 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:29:50

Yep. It took us 5 hours to pack all of our Christmas stuff away and then clean the house. Id not be happy to come home and have to do it after being out all day.

saoirse31 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:30:00

I don't really get your annoyance tbh. Needles everywhere... Surely that's why u vacuum after. Is there a particular reason that it had to be done before u got back??

5000candlesinthewind Mon 02-Jan-17 17:31:11

I think I would just busy myself with something else while he tidies up the mess he's made.

It's not ideal to wait till now but I don't think it would anger me.

dustarr73 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:35:16

Ye cause he had all day to do it.I bet he does the tree and you are left with the clear up.

I would stay out till it was completely done and dusted.

Footinmouthasusual Mon 02-Jan-17 17:35:42

Glass of wine in the bath and stay there until he's tidied up.

junebirthdaygirl Mon 02-Jan-17 17:40:55

The only reason it needed to be done before l got back was so l wouldn't have to face the mess and everything would be ship shape when l got in as if no tree every existed. I suppose that was my dream heading home. I will get over it l'm sure.
I'm glad a few people agreed with me so l don't feel such a crank.

SnatchedPencil Mon 02-Jan-17 17:51:20

YABU. He said he'd remove it and he did. Next time make sure he is clear what is expected of him - that you want the job done in a certain timeframe or in a certain way. I can understand him being "in a huff" now because as far as he is concerned, he did what you asked and you're still finding fault!

I'm sure you'll both get over it fairly quickly. Just try to make your instructions less ambiguous in future. Some people will follow your directions to the letter and won't think for themselves as to what you really meant.

Crowdblundering Mon 02-Jan-17 17:52:48

Maybe he was pissed off that you swanned off to town and left him with a list of jobs to do.

Footinmouthasusual Mon 02-Jan-17 17:56:12

swanned off to town hmm probably shopping for the family or maybe the op had the audacity to shop for herself! shock

And he had all day to do a list of jobs taking down the tree! Really poor love.

junebirthdaygirl Mon 02-Jan-17 17:56:49

I was travelling quite a long distance to a funeral so no fun there. I didn't even ask him. He said l will take down the tree while you're gone. No other jobs or instructions. I just think why wait until lm coming in the door exhausted.
I'm cooled off now.

Crowdblundering Mon 02-Jan-17 17:58:03

Funeral - on a bank holiday.....

junebirthdaygirl Mon 02-Jan-17 18:02:47

It's Ireland. We do funerals everyday.

DramaAlpaca Mon 02-Jan-17 18:07:33

My DH would do the same, leave it to the last minute and try to have it done before I got home. And I'd find it annoying. I'd disappear for a cup of tea & let him get on with it.

And yes, in Ireland we do funerals every day. There was one in our village on Christmas Eve.

Blacksox Mon 02-Jan-17 18:13:45

Buy a non-drop tree!

We took ours down today after 2 weeks of being close to a wood burner and it dropped about 20 needles in the process.

Anyway - yes, annoying. It's a job for first thing, imo.

5000candlesinthewind Mon 02-Jan-17 18:40:28

I'd be frustrated too op, I must admit. That's why I'd take myself upstairs and not return till it's done grin

Glad all is calm now.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 02-Jan-17 18:46:33

OP you're in Ireland and you've taken down the tree already!!!!

dollydaydream114 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:48:22

It's not really the end of the world, is it? Just go upstairs and have a bath or something until it's sorted. I'm not sure why things in your house have to be done without you seeing the process.

EveOnline2016 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:52:24

It's one of my pet hates, when someone says they will do something and does a half assed job.

MackerelOfFact Mon 02-Jan-17 18:59:43

It's Ireland. We do funerals everyday.

New slogan for the Irish Tourist Board!

Sorry for your loss, OP. I think YAB a tiny bit U but it's understandable given the circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now