Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be offended by relatives comment?

(8 Posts)
cookieswirls Mon 02-Jan-17 16:36:44

Sil called earlier to thank us for presents for Xmas, late I know but they were away over Xmas so didn't mind. But the way she said it upset me. She said ' thanks for our presents, we know your struggling so am grateful!' WTF not sure what she meant as we are not struggling money wise confused we have 3 kids including twins if that's what she meant but I still felt strange about what she said.

dollydaydream114 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:41:35

I think you're being a bit over-sensitive to be honest.

Perhaps your DH has said something to her about how busy you've been with the kids or has casually said something about how expensive Christmas is with three kids, and she's taken it to mean more than it did.

Either way it doesn't sound remotely bitchy or rude; I wouldn't worry about it.

HecateAntaia Mon 02-Jan-17 16:42:13

She probably meant well. How old are your children? If very young maybe she meant logistics?
Or have you disclosed any ill health, physical or emotional that she might have meant? Or maybe she does think you are a bit skint.

Whatever it was, if what she meant to say was how much she appreciates your effort particularly because she thinks you have a circumstance that makes it harder then she means to be kind and appreciative.
Sometimes people say the most astonishing things meaning to be nice!

Ohdearducks Mon 02-Jan-17 16:43:38

Unless there's passive aggressive history going on then maybe she just got her wires crossed re; 'struggling'?

DonaldStott Mon 02-Jan-17 16:44:00

I think you are being abit over-sensitive too.

Ohyesiam Mon 02-Jan-17 17:12:00

Don't know of there is a back story, but if not, you are probably over thinking it

PurpleMinionMummy Mon 02-Jan-17 17:12:38

I don't think yabu. What a weird comment.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 02-Jan-17 17:14:38

Maybe she meant struggling for time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now