Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't normal with a cold? Any advice please

(52 Posts)
Zarachristmas Mon 02-Jan-17 16:31:09

Both me and dh have got a cold, sore throat and cough we both feel quite bad. However I've literally gone through 3 toilet rolls since yesterday for a runny nose.

Dh is getting annoyed with me constantly blowing my nose every 30 seconds but if I don't I can't breathe and mucus actually runs out my nose non stop. My nose is really irritated and I keep sneezing too. I'm about to start on my fourth toilet roll. I can't breathe through my mouth because it irritates my throat and I have a coughing fit.

This happens every time I get a cold and I'm starting to think my runny nose is very excessive. Dh never has this problem and thinking about it I've never known anyone else to.

I read online I shouldn't keep blowing my nose but I can't just let it all run out.

I've taken sudafed and made a honey and lemon drink it's made no difference.

Almostfifty Mon 02-Jan-17 16:33:57

Take an antihistamine, it should dry you up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 16:34:42

Sounds normal for a heavy cold. Hope you're better soon.

Lilaclily Mon 02-Jan-17 16:36:06

Have you been out in the fresh air? It might help get it all out of your system

Ohdearducks Mon 02-Jan-17 16:37:20

Could be sinus infection, is it very slimey and green looking? (Sorry, disgusting I know) that could indicate sinus infection, any facial pain at all? Might be worth popping in to a pharmacy tomorrow and speak to someone, have you got any sudafed in the meantime?

WonderMike Mon 02-Jan-17 16:38:06

Sounds normal for me.

My granny used to fashion a "nose hammock" from toilet roll going from ear to ear and catching any drips. Perhaps your DH would prefer that to constant sniffing?

Sahhhhh Mon 02-Jan-17 16:38:51

Sounds completely normal

Your husband doesn't sound very nice though

Sahhhhh Mon 02-Jan-17 16:41:10

wondermike something like this

Zarachristmas Mon 02-Jan-17 16:50:06

I haven't been out in the fresh air I've just been sulking into my tissues. Suppose I could walk to the little shop. I don't feel great but the runny nose is driving me mad. It was going all night too.

I don't think it's my sinuses yet, although I usually get sinus pain following a cold so I'm expecting that to come.

Zarachristmas Mon 02-Jan-17 16:51:06

That would be soaked in 30 seconds with me.

The mucus is completely clear and watery just none stop.

dollydaydream114 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:02:10

Sounds normal to me. Some people get a lot more snotty than others when they get a cold; it's just one of those things.

DeathMetalMum Mon 02-Jan-17 17:08:06

Normal to me too I get this and always end up with such a sore nose afterwards. I've had some form of cough or cold since the end of October this year every time it almost clears up I start to get an aching throat again.

Steamy room helps me when my nose is running but only for about 20 minutes or so. I always imagine some way of hanging a little bucket to catch the drips, would be disgusting but would stop me from getting such a sore nose.

PolterGoose Mon 02-Jan-17 17:10:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maggiecate Mon 02-Jan-17 17:11:57

No suggestions for stopping the runnyness, but 8 hour cream is fantastic for soothing the tissue burn and redness. Pricey but lasts for ages so should see you through a good few bugs.

drinkyourmilk Mon 02-Jan-17 17:16:09

I get this too with a cold. It's disgusting isn't it?

EweAreHere Mon 02-Jan-17 17:21:39

Tell your husband you're oh so sorry that your misery is disturbing to him.

Prat.

Oldraver Mon 02-Jan-17 17:31:28

I would also say get some Balsalm tissue, Aldi do it now. Toilet roll will make your nose sore.

I'm not usually in favour of stuff to dry your nose up but if its as bad as you say i would have a go

Nquartz Mon 02-Jan-17 17:36:00

A hot shower/bath might help or inhaling tea tree oil over a bowl of water with tea towel over your head.
Night/day nurse taken regularly will help, and a nasal wash like Sterimar. I'm the same, I did splash out on nice tissues for my lady cold as I hate the flakey red nose look!!
Hope you feel better soon flowers

OneInEight Mon 02-Jan-17 17:41:07

Sounds to me more like an allergy. I have a dust allergy which can be triggered if I use tissues. Find it better to use the small packets of balsalm treated tissues you can get. Also helps if I lie or sit down but the minute I move about starts streaming again. Anti-histamines help but send me to sleep especially if I have a cold as well.

WonderMike Mon 02-Jan-17 17:43:06

More like a cross between that and The Mummy, Sahhhhhhh

Fretfulparent Mon 02-Jan-17 17:43:43

try otrivine, or similar, nasal spray

Ocicat Mon 02-Jan-17 17:46:01

It's normal for me, just a constant run and feel like I'm drowning.

I twist tissues and shove them up my nostrils, so I end up looking like a snotty walrus. Unattractive, yes, but it's the only way to cope!

TallyHoAndToodlePip Mon 02-Jan-17 17:47:12

I get this every time I get a cold. It's hell!

I use Otrivine nasal spray (metred dose) as soon as my nose starts to block. It clears your nose completely, stops the dripping and lasts 4-6 hours. I use it once before bed and once during the night too because then you can breathe through your nose and actually get some sleep!

It burns your nasal passage like a motherfudger and tastes awful when it goes down your throat but it's over in seconds and so worth it for the relief!

You can buy it from chemists (approx £5) but it's cheaper in the drug aisle at the supermarket (£2.50 - £4). I keep a new bottle in my cupboard, ready for when my next cold strikes.

To soothe your poor nose, put a thin layer of vaseline on it and reapply every time you blow your nose. It creates a barrier between your skin and the tissue so you're not rubbing it raw, and adds moisture meanwhile.

Get well soon! flowers

Ocicat Mon 02-Jan-17 17:47:27

BTW I can't blow my nose as it's so delicate that a couple of blows ends up with blood shooting everywhere. It's fucking miserable!

Ilovehamabeads Mon 02-Jan-17 17:53:01

Sounds normal to me too. My colds are always like this. My dh barely gets a sniffle. My nose runs like yours, usually for 24hrs and then the mucus starts getting thicker. But that one day it literally drops out so fast I dont have time to grab the tissue shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: