Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by this tea towel

(35 Posts)
2017watchoutherewecome Mon 02-Jan-17 12:30:41

I just bought a couple of tala tea towels as they match the baking stuff that we use. When I unfolded the pack one of them is a woman holding a cake with the caption 'the joy of achievement '

Wtf are tala thinking? Women are measured by so much more than baking a bloody cake ffs and we don't need this kind of sexist claptrap.

TheNaze73 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:31:26

You're overthinking it

QuestionableMouse Mon 02-Jan-17 12:32:44

Maybe she's a rubbish Baker and finally got the bloody cake to rise.

PurpleDaisies Mon 02-Jan-17 12:34:12

I feel a massive sense of achievement when I make a good cake.

UpTownFuck Mon 02-Jan-17 12:35:39

I defiantly think you're over thinking it abit grin although I do see where you're coming from

2017watchoutherewecome Mon 02-Jan-17 12:36:19

Yeah, I guess I am overthinking it. I am in the mood for a rant though and they handed me the opportunity on a plate blush

Jellybean83 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:40:34

Tala models itself on being quite retro, 40s 50s style bakeware so it kinda fits, back then a woman's place was apparently in the kitchen.

AtrociousCircumstance Mon 02-Jan-17 12:44:26

No it's irritating.

Retro, quaint sexism like this would be merely an amusing bit of history - if sexism wasn't still a huge, raging problem, the world over.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Jan-17 12:49:24

I feel achievement when I get a cake out of the tin in one piece. To me it is an achievement. As is completing a major civil engineering infrastructure project, which I probably do more frequently.

SparkleShinyGlitter Mon 02-Jan-17 13:02:50

But a good cake is an achievement to me, I am not a fantastic baker by any means but when I make a cake that is good I am proud as punch!

Also I think tala do a retro brand thing 1940/50's vibe and I think the pictures/ tea towels are rather nice

SoupDragon Mon 02-Jan-17 13:04:16

...they handed me the opportunity on a plate

Perfectly baked and iced smile

JulesJules Mon 02-Jan-17 13:04:23

I think yabu. Their whole aesthetic is retro kitsch, 50s style, although I take the point about sexism still being a huge worldwide problem.

squiggleirl Mon 02-Jan-17 13:08:45

And if it was a man holding a cake would it be any less sexist? Given he would specifically have been chosen for the picture because of his gender?

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 02-Jan-17 13:09:12

I would be quite impressed if I managed to make a cake

DistanceCall Mon 02-Jan-17 13:09:50

YABU to look down on bakery and cooking. If we are going to get past stereotypes, at some point we'll have to assume that making a cake is something that both men and women do - and yes, making a good cake is very satisfactory.

That1950sMum Mon 02-Jan-17 13:12:21

I'd be over the moon if I managed to bake a half decent cake! Of course it is an achievement.

SpringerS Mon 02-Jan-17 13:13:18

It's pretty fucking sexist to assume that something that woman would have traditionally done is not worth being proud of. Feminism isn't just about allowing women to do worthwhile, ie 'men's things.' It's also about recognising that the things that woman have traditionally are equally worthwhile a pursuit. So fuck that, I'm just as proud when I make a good cake, knit or crochet a great looking item of clothing, clean my kitchen well or spend a great day being a mother as I am when I fix an electrical fault, replace my brake fluid, build a piece of furniture or toy, write a story or when I achieved career goals. It's all something to be proud of regardless of whether it's 'womanly' or not because cooking, cleaning and caring are all necessary parts of life. And as it's a tea towel for use in the kitchen it's quite a lot more fitting that it's about baking a cake than it is about changing a tyre.

cathf Mon 02-Jan-17 13:16:17

That's a great answer Springer!

chemenger Mon 02-Jan-17 13:17:41

I see I'm not the first engineer on here to say that joy of producing a good cake is just as satisfying as the joy of engineering. I'm also proud of the crocheted snowflakes I made for Christmas decorations. All skills should be a source of personal satisfaction. Baking is a skill, why should we devalue it because more women have that skill than men?

TheoriginalLEM Mon 02-Jan-17 13:23:38

Well, you are buying named tea towels!!!! nuff said

2017watchoutherewecome Mon 02-Jan-17 13:24:01

It is a great answer, but why does it need pointing out on a tea towel that sexist people will take seriously. If sexism wasn't such a problem still then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Oh well, back to the kitchen as somebody needs to wash up grin

viques Mon 02-Jan-17 13:26:21

Frankly buying a tea towel because it matches your baking set sounds very 1950 housewife to me, the last tea towels I bought were from the textile museums Mind you, they weren't for me ,they were stunt tea towels for a friend with a very smart kitchen. I think most of my tea towels could probably trace their ancestry to the last century without difficulty.

lovelearning Mon 02-Jan-17 13:27:14

'the joy of achievement '

grin

Hulababy Mon 02-Jan-17 13:29:31

Its a retro brand. Anyone buying it are probably buying it because of the retro designs. This is a retro styled image and caption, to match the brand.
If you don't like it, then don't use it - bin or send to charity shop.

However fwiw making a nice cake may well be a good achievement to many people, including women. Not everyone are good natural bakers. Or do you feel that all women should be able to make a good cake, just because they are female?

VanillaSugar Mon 02-Jan-17 13:32:30

I'm so disappointed in this thread.

I thought the OP was going to produce a photo of a tea towel with the ends all frayed and a faded picture of Armageddon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now