loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stop holding my hand, I'm an adult!

(226 Posts)
2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:22:59

Text from school to parents:

"Don't forget school reopens Thursday 5th January at 0845"

Is it any wonder adults are behaving more and more like children when responsibilities are not expected of them?

We get the holiday list. The weekly reminders in the newsletter. Now a text in the middle of my holiday.

If I'm so irresponsible to need this, you can bet your ass I'll have forgotten again by Thursday. Why bother?

Ahhh.
biscuitbrew

That felt good.

LIZS Mon 02-Jan-17 10:26:22

Bet many will be "sick" until Monday though. It clearly isn't aimed at you.

SillyMoomin Mon 02-Jan-17 10:27:02

Because sadly, for all the sensible grown ups like you, there are the "sad face daily mail" types who will complain that no one told them about the start of term, no one reminded them, so therefore it's not their fault little jimmy was late

Blame the idiots

3awesomestars Mon 02-Jan-17 10:28:09

Mmm I was just thinking I have no idea if my youngest goes back tomorrow or Wednesday and am going to look at the website to find out - a text right now would save me a job.

I don't behave like a child 😳😳😳

Georgiegirl23 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:28:27

Some parents ARE irresponsible and need this kind of thing. You can just delete the text. If the parents are likely to forget it's in the children's best interest.

Georgiegirl23 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:29:26

Irresponsible not the word. Forgetful maybe.

Simonneilsbeard Mon 02-Jan-17 10:29:26

Some people need reminders ..I have 3 going back on different days and I'm a scatterbrain. I have to set reminders on my phone for lots of things in general but I appreciate where you're coming from though.

SprogletsMum Mon 02-Jan-17 10:30:22

The amount of typos and inaccuracies on our school newsletters makes texts like these a god send. The last newsletter, the website and the app all list different days for returning to school. I'm 99% sure that my dc are back tomorrow but a text confirming would be nice.

Lara2 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:30:47

YABU - Staff are in tomorrow at my school, children on Wednesday. I can absolutely guarantee that some families will pitch up tomorrow despite having had all the information in letters etc. We will probably send a text and sling a message on Facebook too - and we will STILL get some people arriving a day early.

StillRabbit Mon 02-Jan-17 10:31:05

I can almost guarantee that when I make the "just calling to see why child isn't in school today" calls on Wednesday I will get mainly "oh we thought you didn't go back until tomorrow/next week" despite the letters sent, the calendar on the website etc. etc.

2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:31:09

3awesome: You think looking on a website is a job? It's a few clicks - you are online already writing in this forum. 😆

Simonneilsbeard Mon 02-Jan-17 10:32:25

Although I wouldn't say in irresponsible. My children have managed to never miss the start of any term. I just have to constantly remind myself of the date by looking at the calendar. And I don't particularly think that makes me an idiot either.

AntiQuitty Mon 02-Jan-17 10:33:50

Well congrats to you! Aren't you just the embodiment of grown up responsibility!

star star star star star

Big round of applause for the OP and the smug entourage!!

2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:34:27

I don't know about this - when we read of a man behaving so childishly on a thread in here he is called out as a man-child and the woman as an enabler.

Isn't the school enabling irresponsible parents to not have to take responsibility because they'll get a text? 🤔

AnUtterIdiot Mon 02-Jan-17 10:35:41

They're not treating you like a child. Truancy is a big issue at the moment so they're making sure they can prove that they did everything they could to let parents know when term starts.

rollonthesummer Mon 02-Jan-17 10:35:51

Just ignore them if you don't find them helpful!

CloudPerson Mon 02-Jan-17 10:35:52

I'm pleased that my dc's secondary school does this, because their published term dates never match up to actual term dates angry

2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:36:34

Simonneilsbeard that makes you responsible in my opinion. You received the information and recorded it and refer back to it as required.

SellFridges Mon 02-Jan-17 10:36:41

We had a reminder today. I was glad of it because I appear to have lost all track of days!

PurpleDaisies Mon 02-Jan-17 10:37:39

Some families are totally chaotic. That's not the children's fault. Anything that helps them do the best they can in school is a good thing. I'm sorry you can't imagine that other families aren't as perfect as yours op.

2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:37:52

AnUtterIdiot this is the most sensible and non-idiotic comment I've read.

That makes sense that they have to have evidence that the parents have had this information in multiple formats.

Ellisandra Mon 02-Jan-17 10:39:01

With so many schools setting their own dates (academies) and inset days making schools have different return dates, I think it's just helpful.

I know a perfectly intelligent but also very busy woman who just made a mistake (shit happens) and turned up a day early.

It's hardly interrupting your holiday.

GreenTureen Mon 02-Jan-17 10:39:14

I'm another for whom the text would have been handy...I checked yesterday online as I had no idea which day this week they're back. No, it wasn't a massive undertaking to check online but a text would still have been well received.

I'm generally well-organised and have all important dates and events for the year (that I know of) on the kitchen calendar, far in advance. However, i've not yet got a 2017 calendar so I feel a bit lost atm!

2017ReasonsToMoan Mon 02-Jan-17 10:40:04

PurpleDaisies. My family is organised. We live within our means and and commit only to the things we have time for. Including the number of children we had. If that makes us perfect in your book then I'll take the compliment.

Ellisandra Mon 02-Jan-17 10:40:53

Ha! Just realised that sounds like I was talking about "a friend".
It wasn't me - but I can see that it could be.
It's just a helpful reminder, don't understand at all why it bothers you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now