Talk

Advanced search

Daily Mail

(69 Posts)
whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 09:50:37

Many of the posts I read on here there's always one smug annoying git pops up saying "this has got the Daily Mail written all over it".

Enough already.

iamamickey Mon 02-Jan-17 09:59:54

I don't read it so I wouldn't know. So I'd think those "smug" people who say that are clearly avid readers.

SittingDrinkingTea Mon 02-Jan-17 10:03:11

I kind of thought people did that as a way of warning the OP and posters this was the kind of thread the DM likes to pick up. Pretty much if you don't want to be quoted in the DM don't comment here.

user1477282676 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:05:59

It's not "smug" it's people letting others know...just in case.

SparklyMagpie Mon 02-Jan-17 10:11:06

This has got the daily mail written all over it grin

Yetanothernewyearusername Mon 02-Jan-17 10:12:41

I have been quoted several times in the DM and probably others that I didn't see as they were not flagged up. I now change my user name every week. It is a total total pain.

HappydaysArehere Mon 02-Jan-17 10:24:56

It's a rag. It gives the impression of being a serious newspaper but in true rag like behaviour it talks to its readers as if they need guidance. It's Murdock at his worst. Headlines are all that matter and people's feelings count for nothing. I used to buy it on a Saturday for the tv coverage. Now I won't touch it with a barge pole. I buy the tv times and The Times daily. That is also Murdoch of course but it has to cover a variety of opinions as it supposes it's readers will have minds of their own.

whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 10:35:42

Letting people know just in case. Been quoted.

Mumsnet is anonymous so who cares what they write?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 02-Jan-17 10:39:53

Some people don't want to be associated with the Mail.

Most situations are identifiable to other people involved. Anonymous on here, maybe - potentially not anonymous on a national news site, that often gets picked up by radio etc. See cancel the cheque etc. Then your problem has gone from one thread on a forum for advice to radio and daytime talk shows...

JustCallMeKate Mon 02-Jan-17 10:42:22

Mumsnet is anonymous so who cares what they write?

The forum user who started a thread about personal photos on her MIL's phone wasn't so anonymous when it hit the Daily Mail. That situation would have been easily recognisable. People over share and some situations could be identified if published.

cathf Mon 02-Jan-17 11:14:58

It's just virtue signalling really, which is usually followed by other posters confirming that they also are virtuous and do not read the Mail and for the avoidance of any doubt confirming it is indeed a 'rag' and they don't want to be associated with it in any way.

whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 11:21:56

Cathf that's my take on it

Bitofacow Mon 02-Jan-17 11:24:54

I like to be reminded. When I get involved in thread sometimes there is a temptation to over share. When people flag the DM it reminds me to hold back. Thank you DM flaggers.

cathf Mon 02-Jan-17 11:25:04

Whyam, I find it hilarious actually. It seems to have become accepted wisdom that the DM is a 'rag' but someone must be buying it, as it is one of the best-selling newspapers in the UK.
Would anyone admit to it on here though? shock

QueenMortificado Mon 02-Jan-17 11:27:04

Is this a public service announcement from the thread police?

BakeOffBiscuits Mon 02-Jan-17 11:29:35

There was a domestic vilolence thread recently quoted in the Daily Hate. It was very, very identifying.

OP- you can't tell people what they are allowed to post, as the DM seem to want to nick several threads a day form MN, I don't blame people for reminding others that their thread could be seen by a completely different audience to MN.

whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 11:36:10

Oh god

whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 11:37:09

I expect many MNs buy it hmm

whyamiawake Mon 02-Jan-17 11:37:41

I expect many MNs buy it hmm

snapcrap Mon 02-Jan-17 11:38:49

I say it when it's clearly a troll/journalist from the Daily Mail. There are loads of them on here.

cathf Mon 02-Jan-17 11:41:26

The Daily Hate - i so admire your radical stance - thanks for reminding me! Still to come: The Daily Fail.

cathf Mon 02-Jan-17 11:42:27

Whyami, well someone must be!

Sparklingbrook Mon 02-Jan-17 11:45:02

Does anyone buy it? Just look at Mail online.

I had never heard the expression 'virtue signalling' before. Assume it's another derogatory term.

BakeOffBiscuits Mon 02-Jan-17 11:45:56

Well it is full of hate on a daily basis, so I think that name kind of sums it up.

whyohwhy000 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:46:19

Google "mumsnet daily mail" and see how many results you get.

These are the first four results:

"Mumsnet user horrified after finding VERY intimate photos ... - Daily Mail"
"Mumsnet user sparks debate over children's portion sizes | Daily Mail"
"Mumsnet users share their very embarrasing bedroom ... - Daily Mail"
"Man sparks outrage on Mumsnet by asking if he should ... - Daily Mail"

I think you get the picture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now