Talk

Advanced search

Work & sick pay

(8 Posts)
mammymammyIRL Mon 02-Jan-17 07:27:54

I work as a type of receptionist. Back to work tomorrow.

I've been in bed since New Year's Eve fighting a high temp and swollen glands. My sister is coming for 4 days to mind my dc while I go back to work

I get paid if I'm off sick
Aibu to go to GP & get a sick cert for the rest of the week? & still have my dsis come to mind dc?
I've a days holiday booked for next Monday which I'll still need to take as ds is starting preschool

Getnakedorgohome Mon 02-Jan-17 07:30:16

If you're too sick to work then call in. Can't you self cert for the first 5 days though?

confusedandemployed Mon 02-Jan-17 07:31:48

GO most likely won't give you a note till you've been ill for 7 calendar days.

I see no problem with still having your sister over this week as long as she doesn't mind.

Mummydoctor Mon 02-Jan-17 07:39:59

You can self certify for 7 days of illness so if you've not called in sick yet you won't need a doctor's note.

mammymammyIRL Mon 02-Jan-17 07:40:07

I'm in Ireland we can't selfcert.
I almost never miss work, last time was in 2013 I guess this is why I posted here.
I don't think my sis will mind just feels wrong having her drive for 3 hours to get her when I will be at home anyhow. But dc will have a rubbish holiday with me laying on couch sick & would have fun with their auntie

MaverickSnoopy Mon 02-Jan-17 07:42:58

If you are too ill to work you phone in, although I wouldn't decide in advance that it will take you all week to get better. I would decide on a day by day basis and update work accordingly. As you can self certify for up to seven days your gp will not sign you off work until this period has passed.

MaverickSnoopy Mon 02-Jan-17 07:45:42

Cross posts. In that case definitely see your doctor. Does it have to be a week at a time though? I guess you could go back if you're better.

If your sister is happy to come then get as much rest in as possible. Looking after kids when you're unwell is not fun!

mammymammyIRL Mon 02-Jan-17 08:01:35

Usually certs are for 3-5 days but obviously once I'm well I'll return to work.

Visit to GP costs €45/50 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now