Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to expect my mother not to go through my things?

(10 Posts)
salisetset Mon 02-Jan-17 00:56:09

I am staying with her for the xmas holidays and was busy with work things so she kindly packed for me - which also involved going through my handbag and confiscating my cigarettes! she didn't admit to this when asked though, only when I told how inappropriate it was - she knows I don't like her going through my things! I'm 25.

CauliflowerSqueeze Mon 02-Jan-17 00:58:23

Of course she should respect your privacy. You need to cut the stay short and let her know that you're only happy to stay when she's not rifling through your belongings.

Pack your own bags. She can't be trusted not to go through your things.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 02-Jan-17 01:14:18

Of course you're not being unreasonable. you're 25. You're not 15. Confiscating your cigarettes. WTAF is that all about.
Your mum needs to let go of the apron strings.

salisetset Tue 03-Jan-17 14:50:42

Bump

HecateAntaia Tue 03-Jan-17 14:54:43

And thank you to the posters who replied, right?

They're right. Your mum crossed a line. At 25 you can do any damn stupid thing you like as long as it's legal. She no doubt doesn't want to see you with smoking related deseases but that's not her call. She cannot infantalise you.

Gottagetmoving Tue 03-Jan-17 14:56:22

She had no right to go through your handbag. She doesn't need to do that if she is packing surely?
She has even less right to decide whether you can have cigarettes or not.
Have a very frank conversation with her and tell her she is not to interfere with your stuff.
Why was she packing for you anyway?

salisetset Tue 03-Jan-17 15:01:14

Yes apologies, thank you of course to the posters who have replied - and for the prompt Hecate! confusedhmm

Good to hear everyone's replies!

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 03-Jan-17 15:07:11

Good grief, what on earth is your mum doing packing for you at your age? That's just plain weird.

salisetset Tue 03-Jan-17 15:09:14

I didn't ask her too - and I use the term packing loosely, she had done some washing for me while I was staying at her house and put this in my open case (would have rather she didn't but there you go).

sarahd100 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:32:26

salisetset I feel your pain - my mum would do the exact same thing and I'm 29!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now