Talk

Advanced search

Or is Dh for not getting checked out

(149 Posts)
Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:01:13

Just that really, my dh feels like his left arm is numb/heavy for the last 2-3 hours with slight pins and needles in hand. He has a tendency to think the worst but normally he won't go to the Drs unless it's really bad but this time he called 111. They got a paramedic to call him back who said our nearest out of hours dr had closed their books but he could be seen 35miles away at another one. They also said he needs to be seen, but hubby is now saying if it gets worse I can take him to A&E but he's not dragging the kid out to drive 35 miles for nothing or to be told they are keeping him there. Part of me thinks he's right but I do think he should just let me take him
Sorry for the essay

backwardpossom Sun 01-Jan-17 23:09:47

I think he should go. Can you get someone to sit with the kids - a neighbour or something? I know it's late, but maybe someone could? Or could he get a taxi?

WorraLiberty Sun 01-Jan-17 23:11:38

Ask him why he called 111 then? confused

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:13:02

I checked the taxi idea but he won't go alonehmm and no one to sit with the kids but they are 12 &13 so could handle be dragged out he's being stubborn now and I don't know whether to worry or give up and wait it out.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 01-Jan-17 23:13:23

Tell him if it gets worse it cold go bad too fast, he needs to go now, like they said.
If he refuses, call an ambulance.

LightsLoveLaughter Sun 01-Jan-17 23:15:03

Could the 12 and 13 be left at home?

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:15:56

Exactly worra I mean this is a man who waits till he has bronchitis for 2weeks before going the Drs so he must be worried/in pain and now he's acting like I'm worrying over nothing angry

PurpleDaisies Sun 01-Jan-17 23:17:28

Does he know that the potential causes of this are?

He really needs to be seen.

ChocoChou Sun 01-Jan-17 23:17:53

I would tell the 13yo to mind the fort and leave them with a mobile if they are sensible enough? He should go...

AtSea1979 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:18:20

Why not just got to a&e instead?

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:19:25

Call an ambulance

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:20:27

I couldn't leave them to drive that far away with no idea how long we'd be.
If he gets worse I would call an ambulance or drive him to local A&E (15mins) but right now I think he just needs out of hours dr and I don't want to waste services that are over stretched already. I guess that's my answer isn't it ?
Why are men so crap at this? I would have just jumped in the cab and left him with the kids of it was role reversed but no he's reverted to a child scared to go alone hmm

WonkoTheSane42 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:22:28

Worst case scenario if he goes and it's no big deal - a bit of hassle.

Worst case scenario if he doesn't go and it IS a big deal - he has a heart attack and dies.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's what it boils down to. Get him to go.

PurpleDaisies Sun 01-Jan-17 23:22:43

You won't be wasting services, you've been advised to seek medical attention by a paramedic. confused

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:28:27

Thank you all, I've just shown him this thread to convince him that I should at least take him to the local A&E but he's got all defensive and stropped off to bed saying I'm making him worry more and maybe it's trapped wind ? Not much else I can do other than keep an eye on him and pray it's nothing.

FarAwayHills Sun 01-Jan-17 23:32:13

Hope all is ok OP. My DH also does this - makes a big fuss about being unwell, worries me silly and then refuses to do anything about it.angry

Birdsgottafly Sun 01-Jan-17 23:35:35

""Call an ambulance""

It isn't an emergency, so an ambulance is a misuse of the service.

OP, trapped wind, has he started having an indigestion type pain?

Keep an eye on him and hopefully he'll go somewhere in the morning.

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:36:36

Thank you faraway. Nice to know I'm not alone, he's never done this before but has a tendency to call a cold flu or a headache a migraine etc you get the idea never stops him working thoughhmm even with the bronchitis last month he had to collapse before he went the dr who duly bollocked him and told him his chest sounded the worst he'd heard this year ! Twunt I do love him but he's a bloody twunt
Sorry can you tell I'm wound up ?

NameSux Sun 01-Jan-17 23:36:42

My dad does this. He's just out of hospital after having a stroke (and trying to drive afterwards cos there was 'nothing wrong"). When I was 13 he lost the sight in 1 eye, hid it for 3 days then my mam had to drive him to hosp 32 miles away while I was out. He was rushed to surgery for a detached retina and I came home and looked after myself until mam came back later that night. Leave the kids, go to doctor

Flumpsnlumpsnstuff Sun 01-Jan-17 23:38:52

Birds. He has an ongoing problem with acid reflux it does seem worse today but he will blame everything (inc bronchitis) on the blessed reflux.

Iggi999 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:39:24

How do you know it isn't an emergency though?
Has he tried something that would help if it was indigestion? Why would that make his arm feel funny?
I would be happy leaving my 9 year old in this situation (with a phone) but you know your own kids.

MillionToOneChances Sun 01-Jan-17 23:41:04

You're talking about a numb arm, and he's putting it down to trapped wind? That suggests chest pain too, surely? It screams heart attack. Get a neighbour to sit with the kids and drive him to A&E or call an ambulance if he gets worse. If he didn't mention the 'trapped wind' on phone to 111 might be worth phoning them back as sometimes they can pre-triage you and get you seen more quickly.

TheThingsWeAdmitOnMN Sun 01-Jan-17 23:41:52

Sounds like a trapped nerve?

He should go. But to be honest I probably wouldn't either.

Ehlana Sun 01-Jan-17 23:42:21

Go to A&E, go now.

MillionToOneChances Sun 01-Jan-17 23:42:22

Ambulance if he gets worse I mean. Numb arm/pins and needles plus chest pain equals A&E even if it doesn't worsen, I'd have thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now