Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if waxing if really worth it?

(17 Posts)
Ditsyprint40 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:51:36

I'll start by saying I am a bit of a woolly mammoth. My leg hair is dark and fairly dense. Shaving lasts just a few hours and my legs are prickly again.

I had a professional leg wax, and whilst it took a while for the hair to grow back, they never actually felt smooth!

I decided to have a bash at home waxing with the ready to use strips. Ive just done it for the fourth time, and they still feel a tad prickly!!

Am I doing it wrong? I've left them plenty of time to grow back (maybe too long?). I can't work out if it's short hairsvthat aren't being picked up, or some of the hairs are maybe breaking off rather than coming out? Should I buy an epilater the spikes away? Will this get better the more I do it?

Velvetdarkness Sun 01-Jan-17 22:09:44

In my experience no. They never feel smooth like with shaving and you spend more time stubbly than able to have your legs out. I gave up and went back to shaving.

ChocoChou Sun 01-Jan-17 22:12:33

Agreed. Never felt smooth!
I only had bikini waxes but I always felt a little disappointed. Invested in a Lumea so will see how that goes!

formerbabe Sun 01-Jan-17 22:12:53

I never wax as I don't want to wait for the hair to grow long enough to have it done. Shaving lasts less than a day for me. I epilate..It works on very short hairs and although it hurts, it lasts quite a while as it pulls the hair out by the roots.

KP86 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:13:05

I agree with Velvet. My legs were never smooth, even when just done, and so they were prickly and growing back from day 1.

I also have dark hair and spent 5 of the 6 weeks between waxing with noticeably hairy legs.

Only had it done 2 or 3 times, the pain is not worth it.

Ditsyprint40 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:14:58

choco - I have a lumea and it is brilliant (hair no longer grows on my bikini line!) but it's just too time consuming to do full legs, and also hard to not get it patchy. Might have another go though! Also need to remember to do armpits...!

Dafspunk Sun 01-Jan-17 22:15:58

Hmm I got exactly the same thing you describe about the short hairs with epilating so beware that that may not be the solution for your either. (Although sounds like it is for formerbabe).

Vixxfacee Sun 01-Jan-17 22:16:11

Legs never smooth from waxing. Shaving lasts a few hours too. I wax my bikini line and that stays smooth for about a week hmm

321zerobaby Sun 01-Jan-17 22:18:52

I've just bought a lumea too, on the back of all the rave reviews on here. I have already had salon IPL on my legs, which after 6 sessions the hair has all but disappeared. Going to try other areas myself.

RubyWinterstorm Sun 01-Jan-17 22:20:44

I love using the Epilator once every 2 weeks. I often shave in between for extra smoothness

But using the epilator for years, about twice a month, means the hairs are now weak and soft

I look like a plucked chicken for 3-4 hours, but once that settles it is smooth legs for at least a week.

Make sure your skin is dry-dry-dry (so don't do it after a shower, or when you have put body lotion on!)

Riversiderunner Sun 01-Jan-17 22:20:44

Waxing is a waste of time and money. I did it for decades then tried laser and wish I'd done it years ago!

Oysterbabe Sun 01-Jan-17 22:21:19

I'm fair but I've epilated my legs for years and I only do it every few months now as the hair is so fine and soft when it eventually regrows.

Fluffyears Sun 01-Jan-17 23:00:05

I epilate then shave the next day and I get a good while out of that. I'm as hairy as you (shahid at night means i can feel stubble by morning even if you can't see it). I get about a week by epilating then shaving 12 hours later, this is my holiday preparation.

TheProblemOfSusan Sun 01-Jan-17 23:08:19

I just shave cause I'm fair and also lazy, but my BFF has hair that sounds like yours and she used/uses an epilator cause it pulled the hair out at the roots like waxing but she found it easier and less mess. Personally I thought it was terrifying! But it has resulted in very little hair after years of use I believe.

honeylulu Sun 01-Jan-17 23:19:58

The more you do it, the less it grows back. I've waxed my legs since teens and finally had laser removal last year. The lady doing it remarked there was hardly anything left to zap.
I also had my armpits and bikini/perianal region done with laser. Very noticeable results, well worth it. 6 sessions and barely any regrowth by the last one.

pengymum Sun 01-Jan-17 23:39:20

I used to wax - had it done professionally to start then got hard wax kit then later a warm wax kit and did it myself (& my siblings) for years with the odd salon wax when I wanted a particularly smooth finish. (Backs of legs & bikini line awkward!)

I loved it and felt super smooth for about 3 weeks then when it grew back was fine and not stubbly at all. I also have diagnosed PCOS & excess hair problems! The hair got finer over the years then I did have a course of laser treatment, when first came out but didn't get any more. Now many years on, I have hardly anything! I don't even shave and it is barely visible. Underarms practically nude!

Imho, if you are not feeling smooth by following day, the waxing hasn't been done correctly. The hair has broken off rather than pulled out at root - so still growing and can be felt next day when grows past skin surface!

As I did waxing myself, I speak from practical experience. So try another salon/therapist. Also, in my experience, the pre-waxed strips break hair as don't grip properly. I would try hard wax - used to be available in Boots - also called hot wax. This sets like candle wax and needs to be whipped off quickly. Can't mess about! Is painful at first but calms quickly and you get used to it! 😜

But if you can afford it, get salon laser treatment. 😃
Hth

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:42:15

You need to stretch the skin as you wax as that could be leaving space for the hair to not come out cleanly. I also find that exfoliating my legs prior to a wax really helps get a smoother finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now