Talk

Advanced search

To think little changes can make a big impact over time?

(11 Posts)
WooWoo1000 Sun 01-Jan-17 18:51:46

DH laughs at me for doing things like waiting until I get home to throw away plastic bottles so they can be recycled...he thinks me doing that won't make a difference to the planet's landfill issues. I think I'm helping but I'm aware that others may think it's a bit much e.g today I cut the glittery bits off the Christmas cards so the non glittery bits could be recycled. Just curious as to whether anyone else goes this far or whether I'm just weird.

Other examples:
Saving used stamps for charity
Using wrapper from multipack of toilet roll as small bin liner
Re-using envelopes
Printing on the back of used paper

YetAnotherUser Sun 01-Jan-17 19:39:21

Will your own contributions make much of an impact? Almost certainly not.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be doing them. If more people were like you then there would be less of a problem.

UnicornPee Sun 01-Jan-17 19:42:17

I hear you.

At work there's a lot of email printing envolved and I always only print the first page but everyone else prints the whole thread ending up with pages of the adverty crap at the bottom.

RuggerHug Sun 01-Jan-17 19:42:48

I do bits like them all the time, as does one of my best friends. I think the point is each person doing it doesn't make feck all difference but if everyone makes the effort it adds up.

Soubriquet Sun 01-Jan-17 19:45:45

It's like that starfish fable

A boy is on the beach when he spots a man. The man bends over, picks something up and throws it in the sea.

The boy goes to see what he is doing and sees he is picking up starfish

"What are you doing?" The boy said "why do you bother? You know you can't save them all"

"I know" replied the man "but I can save this one"

WooWoo1000 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:59:01

Yey, thanks all, good to know there are some like minded people out there! Love the starfish fable : )

FlipperSkipper Sun 01-Jan-17 19:59:48

I do the same as you OP, it might be the smallest thing but I'd rather that than things go to landfill.

WooWoo1000 Sun 01-Jan-17 20:05:04

This is very encouraging! Flipperskipper (or anyone else) what crazy stuff (in the eyes of others!) do you do to avoid landfill/ help environment?

blahblahnow Sun 01-Jan-17 21:40:27

Swap stamps for bottle tops and we do all those things OP (except the glittery card thing - I didn't know about that!).

We do it; ours kids do it without thinking; things may change eventually.

cheminotte Sun 01-Jan-17 21:45:05

I pick up litter if we are out on a walk and take it home to the bin. It's been shown that people are more likely to drop litter if there's already litter there so it makes sense to remove odd bits in an otherwise unspoilt area.

dollyollymolly Sun 01-Jan-17 21:50:09

I'm similar.

If we all do a bit then it will make a massive difference. One day....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now