Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to compare Year 4 prep exam results against state school results?

(16 Posts)
Timetotot Sun 01-Jan-17 17:27:05

Hello,

Please bear with me as I'm confused with how these things work. Any help working it all out would be great.

State schools have SATS (I think?) in Year 4, and results take the form of 3a, 4, 4a, 4b, 5 etc etc.

In our prep school they will have exams in May this year (Y4) and the results will be a %. For example, 50% in Maths, 75% in English.

How do I compare these against the state school results? I have no idea how I can work out from DC's results which level school they will have a good chance of gaining entry to.

I know our head teacher will advise nearer the time but I am hoping to do some extra work at home with DC before then as I'm concerned. She scores in the 70-75% range for Maths consistently, and in the 50-55% range for English and comprehension consistently. Is she going to find it really difficult to get into a private secondary school assuming her range stays the same?

MagicMarkers Sun 01-Jan-17 17:29:40

State schools don't have the 3a, 4, 4b levels anymore.

www.theschoolrun.com/what-are-national-curriculum-levels

I think you should ask your DD's school if she's going to have trouble getting into private secondary.

MagicMarkers Sun 01-Jan-17 17:31:11

Sorry, this is a better link to the new system.

www.theschoolrun.com/primary-school-grading-system-explained-for-parents

GreatFuckability Sun 01-Jan-17 17:34:12

They don't do sats in y4, they are in y2 and y6 in primary.

surreygoldfish Sun 01-Jan-17 17:37:08

You won't be able to - you won't even be able to compare to other prep schools as the exams won't be levelled. You can get an idea based on where previous children have moved onto and where your DC is in the year group. Best to discuss with school.

G1raffePicnic Sun 01-Jan-17 17:38:07

State schools don't have year 4 sats. It sounds like your exams are internal so wouldn't be comparable at all anyway. Just ask at school.

WhiskyAndTwiglets Sun 01-Jan-17 17:38:46

You can't. It depends on the prep school and what their standards are like and how their curriculum is written and taught.
Just ask how she's doing and what the class average is and what the expectation is.
I am firmly in the "do not tutor" camp. Or extra formal work. By all means help enrich around the subjects but Year 4 is about having fun and extra work might put off a child. I want my year 4 to feel excited about learning, not passing exams or getting into a senior school. Time enough to find something that suits THEM later on.
HTH

Timetotot Sun 01-Jan-17 18:06:29

Thank you all for the replies. I will ask for more info at school but they're very much not wanting to offer additional help for English and they feel she just lacks effort not capability.

I can see she finds English a lot harder than other subjects though - was later to speak, read, spell well etc.

50% in English is a real worry

Bobochic Sun 01-Jan-17 18:09:58

If you are worried about your DD's English, find an experienced current teacher of Y4 who can assess her in some tutoring sessions and work out how to fill gaps and boost her progress.

SaltyMyDear Sun 01-Jan-17 18:16:06

Sound so like she has mild dyslexia.

GreenTureen Sun 01-Jan-17 18:17:26

Just to point out, the links provided below apply only to schools in England - no idea where the op is so this info may not be correct for her.

MsJudgemental Sun 01-Jan-17 18:30:47

The English mark is a concern. In Year 6 she will need to be achieving in the region of 85% to pass the 11+ / common entrance exams in all subjects. A consistent score of around 50% is unlikely to be down to effort, rather a difficulty. I would ask the school if they screen for dyslexia; if not, consider getting her assessed privately. If the school is unwilling to offer any additional help then a tutor experienced in primary literacy interventions will help her. Failing that, checking out theschoolrun, as mentioned, will enable you to gauge where she is compared to a state school child her age,with downloadable assessments, worksheets and booster packs. Any weaknesses need to be addressed this year as otherwise she is likely to fall further behind as the curriculum becomes more demanding in Y5-6. As far as entrance exams are concerned, you can get the Bond materials for ages 8-9 leading to the 11+ in any WH Smith's to get her started early.

Timetotot Sun 01-Jan-17 19:15:20

Thank you all. If 85% is the pass rate I believe only about 25% of our year group will pass in both subjects.

The school do not screen for dyslexia so I would need to assess her privately - where would I start with that? I have no idea who I would speak to.

SaltyMyDear Sun 01-Jan-17 19:29:56

Find a dyslexia assessor here: www.patoss-dyslexia.org/SupportAdvice/TutorAssessorIndex/

Timetotot Sun 01-Jan-17 19:44:13

Thank you. Going to have her assessed as soon as possible.

5foot5 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:39:16

I will ask for more info at school but they're very much not wanting to offer additional help for English and they feel she just lacks effort not capability.

The school do not screen for dyslexia so I would need to assess her privately

Is she going to find it really difficult to get into a private secondary school assuming her range stays the same?

Ok I will be the one to ask. Why are you so set on her getting in to a private secondary when your experience of the private sector so far has been so unhelpful and unsupportive?

I would be a bit shocked if a state primary was so dismissive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now