Talk

Advanced search

To think it is too late to stop smoking

(61 Posts)
Nomoreworkathome Sun 01-Jan-17 16:09:14

Just that really....am 50. Smoking since I was 13. I guess the damage is done. Is it too late?

DesignedForLife Sun 01-Jan-17 16:10:31

No, it's not too late. You can still improve your health and cut risks by stopping now.

Nomoreworkathome Sun 01-Jan-17 16:11:32

I HATE the hold it has over me. I wake up every day terrified then think there is no point as Ive been smoking for so many years

Soubriquet Sun 01-Jan-17 16:11:41

It's never too late

The only people who say that, are those who don't want to quit and are using it as an excuse

SortAllTheThings Sun 01-Jan-17 16:11:47

Not at all, you can still benefit hugely from giving up now.

GeillisTheWitch Sun 01-Jan-17 16:13:15

You will have done damage already but surely it's better not to add any more to that. You don't sound that motivated to quit though so if you're looking for reasons not to quit then any attempt is probably going to be unsuccessful. You have to want to stop.

gamerchick Sun 01-Jan-17 16:13:19

It's never too late.

You have to want to quit.

Planetarymagic1 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:13:32

My brother smoked 40 a day for decades and gave up wigh hypnotherapy. Just stopped. He looks years younger and says he feels tons richer. It was £125 and he was done in ine session.

Branleuse Sun 01-Jan-17 16:14:42

ITS EVEN MORE IMPORTANTyou give up when you get older I think

Maladicta Sun 01-Jan-17 16:15:05

My dm quit at 58 after smoking since 12. You can do it! I won't pretend it's not hard but the benefits are tremendous.
Good luck!!!!

AgedRelative Sun 01-Jan-17 16:16:36

My father stopped after 50 years. Not until he had throat cancer and had to have life changing treatment. Please please stop.

SortAllTheThings Sun 01-Jan-17 16:16:41

Ash is a great website with loads of helpful facts sheets etc

ash.org.uk/stopping-smoking/stopping-smoking-the-benefits-and-aids-to-quitting/

PenguinsandPebbles Sun 01-Jan-17 16:17:38

I've been vapeing for fair few months and will never go back to a normal cigarette and am nearly off the vape. Vapeing has really worked for me since starting it (and doing it properly with a decent set up I've not wanted to smoke even when drinking wine and that is massive for me)

Having spent Christmas and new year with family who all smoke, I'm embarrassed I ever smoked (I know vapeing is an adult dummy but it is better for me and I don't do it near others) I got a lung full of smoke and nearly died coughing was awful.

My mum who is now late 60's had a go at the vape and is buying her own set up tomorrow - so it really is never too late!!

BackforGood Sun 01-Jan-17 16:19:06

The man of a couple I know had a stroke just before they were about to celebrate their ruby wedding. Both were really heavy smokers and must have been smoking 45 yrs + They both just stopped.
Some 23 yrs later they are still with us and a lot healthier for it.

Nomoreworkathome Sun 01-Jan-17 16:19:06

You may well have a point Geillis
I have to WANT to do this.
So many encouraging replies.... thank you

OliviaStabler Sun 01-Jan-17 16:19:22

Never too late. Mate of mine smoked for years since being a teen, now in his 40's and gave up a few years ago. It is doable.

flowers

corlan Sun 01-Jan-17 16:19:34

The statistic that every 15 cigarettes you smoke will cause a mutation that can lead to cancer really terrifies the hell out of me.
It's not too late to stop.
What if the next 15 you smoke today do the damage? Or the next 15 you smoke tomorrow?
The argument that the damage is done is just a cop out.

Wolfiefan Sun 01-Jan-17 16:20:15

My mum gave up in her 40s. She has since saved herself a fortune. Who knows what health problems she has hopefully avoided?

Planetarymagic1 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:20:42

Why do you WANT to keep smoking? What are the advantages?
For my brother he said it gave him 8 minutes to escape work and clear his head, per fag. And was his small act of rebellion.
What's your motivation for continuing?

Harvestwidow Sun 01-Jan-17 16:21:13

You need to read Allen carr's easy way to stop smoking. Worked for me and a few people I know. It's not the comedian btw. Good luck

PenguinsandPebbles Sun 01-Jan-17 16:21:48

If you want to do it, it's much much easier!

Just don't give up on giving up grin

I've saved a fortune and have saved every extra penny I would have spent on cigarettes and spent it all on me! I have

A lovely pair of new boots
A bottle of channel shower gel
A luxurious duvet and pilllows (ok DP get the benefit but I love my bed)
Lots of things for my sewing box that I wouldn't have brought otherwise

It's a big incentive when you work out how much you would spend and at the end of the week you buy something that is nice for you!

chipsandchilli Sun 01-Jan-17 16:22:17

Im in my 40s, stopped a couple of time the last 3 years but always just for a few weeks then start again, this time stopped in August and started vapeing went all the way to mid November, felt great and bought some tabs at the shop, idk why. Smoked for about 2 weeks and noticed this time it had a huge impact on me, my chest was awful not to mention pulling out money i was now used to having spare. Stopped again, took about a week and my chest felt 10x better. All you can do is try but its not a waste of time, if you stop long enough you really do feel an improvement in your health

SortAllTheThings Sun 01-Jan-17 16:23:02

It is true that the earlier you give up, the more benefit you get, but those giving up at 50 increase their average life span by 6 years +

It's definitely worth it, but give up now.

chipsandchilli Sun 01-Jan-17 16:23:02

I had also started smoking when i was 13 so was a hard habit to break

gaelicgirl100 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:24:16

My nana stopped at 68, we used to be able to hear her coming before she got to the door, her wheeze was so loud.
But once she stopped she kept much better health, in her later years she was susceptible to nasty chest infections but always managed to recover. She died last year at 90. No way would she have loved that long as a smoker, particularly as she suffered broken bones a few times and smoking really affects healing from things like that too.

My dad (nana was his mum) died at 49 from smoking related reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now