Talk

Advanced search

to be unsettled by the BFG?

(44 Posts)
FoggyMorn Sun 01-Jan-17 15:35:26

Saw the new BFG film this morning with some young relatives (who absolutely loved it).

I was really creeped out by the BFG character, to the point that I found it hard to watch, and considered leaving the cinema. WIBU?
Was it just me or did anyone else find him really uncomfortable to watch? The hairs on my neck were literally standing on end although I'm not really sure why. The CGI maybe. The other giants were ok, but they were more cartoony.

miserablesod Sun 01-Jan-17 15:36:24

I get you! I felt the same.

GarrulousGrimoire Sun 01-Jan-17 15:38:04

Oh no just about to watch this with the kids confused

Aeroflotgirl Sun 01-Jan-17 15:40:31

Haven't seen it, what was wrong with the BFG?

welcometowonderland Sun 01-Jan-17 15:42:27

His ears were a bit creepy looking.
I do like Mark Rylance though

AMillionMilesFromThere Sun 01-Jan-17 15:43:56

Hmmm, I wouldn't say I found him creepy at all, however when I took my 7 year old dd to watch it at the cinema she found the bigger giant parts really quite frightening !

Afternoondelights Sun 01-Jan-17 15:46:52

Considered leaving the cinema? Really?!

FaithAgain Sun 01-Jan-17 15:48:00

DD (3) won't watch it. DH tried it, she said it 'too scary'. She loves the one from the 90s though!

RedStripeIassie Sun 01-Jan-17 15:58:41

I really want to see it. I read the book a million times when I was little. Hope it doesn't ruin it for me let alone dd.

FoggyMorn Sun 01-Jan-17 16:01:04

iThe kids loved it.

Dh also found the BFG a bit " uncanny valley" but didn't have such a visceral reaction as me.

Ebb Sun 01-Jan-17 16:02:47

I loved it, as did DP and the kids. Great movie. Thought the BFG was really well done.

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:05:54

I think the new bfg is far tamer and less scary that the old animated version!

CommonSenseIsNotAllThatCommon Sun 01-Jan-17 16:12:02

Its uncanny valley. I get the same with the polar express. Makes me feel discombobulated.

FoggyMorn Sun 01-Jan-17 16:18:07

Againsttheodds- not scary (frightening) but creepy (BFG himself, not the other characters).

GeillisTheWitch Sun 01-Jan-17 16:20:39

The polar express is one creepy film. The elves singing Santa Claus is coming to town in that slow, spooky way <shudders>.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 01-Jan-17 16:22:18

I loved it. Found polar express really creepy though

LadyintheRadiator Sun 01-Jan-17 16:22:23

I was too busy being totally irritated by how totally irritating Sophie was to notice.

Etak15 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:28:25

We quite liked it I was more puzzled that they'd chosen a 'Matilda' lookalike to play Sophie, is that how a Roald Dhal little girl character should look according to movie producers?

Eolian Sun 01-Jan-17 16:31:04

I agree. I love the book and love the character of the BFG in the book, but didn't like him at all in the film. Not a particular fan of Rylance. He's a bit intense and thespy to play a humorous character in a children's film imo.

Bauble16 Sun 01-Jan-17 16:31:49

I found it odd too tbh. But just dismissed it.

Starypjs Sun 01-Jan-17 18:18:57

Reading dahl as an adult after completely loving it as a child a total mind blower. I wrote on this as part of my degree many moons ago. Some very dark adult stuff in there. shock

herethereandeverywhere Sun 01-Jan-17 19:05:37

I have to say that re-reading the BFG as an adult with my daughter really unsettled me. The concept of a strange man looking into the bedroom windows of children at night didn't sit right with me.

DD was the one who started asking questions about the story line - it is rather creepy.

I haven't seen the movie but from seeing the trailer I thought the BFG was effectively a caricature of Roald Dahl himself (and Sophie is Sophie Dahl, his granddaughter).
So originally he wrote the story about himself, a a very tall grandad, telling a bedtime story to his granddaughter. I think that makes the original concept less weird.

TheCatsMother99 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:23:39

I didnt like it either and stopped watching it about half an hour or so in to the film.

WilburIsSomePig Sun 01-Jan-17 19:25:05

I loved it and thought the BFG character looked fantastic. grin

RainyDaisy Sun 01-Jan-17 20:12:47

I'm scared of statues (don't ask!) but LOVED the BFG. And thought he was very kind looking with all those laughter lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now