Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours music

(21 Posts)
IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 01-Jan-17 12:49:59

How long would you put up with very loud music from your neighbour before asking them to turn it down? When I say loud we couldn't here our tv over the music and were having to shout to hear each other. The walls were shaking from the base and the celling/floor upstairs was vibrating. I put up with this form 11am yesterday morning until just after 11pm last night before a knocked and asked them to turn it down not off. I just couldn't take it anymore and my youngest (just 5) was crying as she was tired and couldn't sleep. Just seen the neighbour he said I was being totally unreasonable and he is entitled to listen to music in his own home. So was asking them to turn it down reasonable I really think it wasn't.

yoowhoo Sun 01-Jan-17 12:51:48

I don't think you were being unreasonable at all. There's nothing worse than being in a flat and having to put up with that! But I probably would have waited until gone midnight last night as it was new years.

IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 01-Jan-17 12:55:29

We not in a flat, its a 3 bed semi. I know it was new years eve last night but this was not a one off it happens regularly.

TrustySnail Sun 01-Jan-17 12:57:27

Do they do this regularly, or was it a one-off for New Year's Eve?

Either way, the volume sounds inconsiderate and unpleasant, but if it was the first time I would probably have waited till after midnight, as the PP suggested, given the occasion.

TrustySnail Sun 01-Jan-17 12:58:00

Sorry, cross-posted.

AwaywiththePixies27 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:58:27

YNBU! Hes entitled to listen to music in his own home. He's not entitled to continually disturb other people all bloody day. you'll likely get told to lighten up and that it was new years day and you should let him off if it's a one off though .

Next time go through the council. I wouldn't even bother knocking. I live in a right antisocial shithole where people do this regularly as if it's their god given right so you have my sympathies.

AvonCallingBarksdale Sun 01-Jan-17 12:58:46

Soundproofing is your friend here. Proper heavy duty stuff. and move when/if you can. I've been there. Not as bad as what you describe by any stretch, but enough

SuperPug Sun 01-Jan-17 12:59:19

It's horrible. We live in a flat, not a house but our neighbours sound similar.
I believe that he's breaking the law- you can phone 101 and report to your police neighbourhood watch team. If you can, record the sound and times. You can give this evidence to the police. On our estate, they're supposed to be given warnings and are then told they are in breach of their lease. Everyone has the right to live in a peaceful home.
Does he own the property? If not, report to his landlord etc.

IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 01-Jan-17 13:15:36

No it is rented. I think I will record the noise level when he puts it on again later and email it to his letting agent.

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 01-Jan-17 13:17:12

"Just seen the neighbour he said I was being totally unreasonable and he is entitled to listen to music in his own home."
Just as you are entitled to NOT listen to his music in YOUR own home.

Find your local council's website and search for noise nuisance. You should find that they can look into it. (Here is a link to my local council's equivalent, for comparison.)

He is being unreasonable, and you don't have to put up with it.

fussychica Sun 01-Jan-17 13:25:05

Awful. My sympathies. We had this years ago along with them having incredibly noisy sex, to the extent Ii thought he had really hurt her one night and was on the verge of calling the police when I heard a huge sigh and gigglingshock. We did speak to them about it and the music did get better but the noise at night was still terrible. Even after quite a short time it started to make me ill.
We moved 10 weeks later. I would never contemplate a place that wasn't detached again.

Unfortunately if you have spoken to him and he doesn't moderate his behaviour then he sounds the sort of person who might make your life even more difficult if you escalate the situation. This shouldn't happen but these days so many people have the attitude that they will do want they want regardless of the impact upon others it probably won't change.
flowers

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:33:05

Back when I lived in a semi the neighbours children made a shit ton of noise - stomping up and down stairs, screaming, shouting, play with noisy toys. I'm firmly of the belief that you shouldn't say anything unless you are 100 per cent certain you aren't also making a lot of noise - because all this will do is encourage him to complain about you.

SnatchedPencil Sun 01-Jan-17 13:33:30

YANBU, at all. You have to accept certain levels of noise from neighbours because people don't live in total silence. I live in a converted flat and have to put up with upstairs neighbour stomping around (she's actually just walking normally, it just sounds like a herd of elephants). But there is a difference between acceptable everyday sounds, such as using the toilet (I can hear her, no doubt she can hear me!), and noise created by a conscious decision, like playing music.

Regardless of it being New Year's Eve, the neighbour has no right to disturb you. If he's renting there will almost certainly be a clause in his contract that requires him not to disturb the neighbours. A one-off I would let go, and you were more than reasonable in sticking it out for 12 hours, but repeated disturbances are unacceptable, especially now that he is aware of it.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people like your neighbour who believe they are entitled to do what they like in their own home regardless of the impact it has on others. This is not the case, they are not permitted to conduct activities which impact upon their neighbours like playing music loudly over an extended period. It's antisocial, selfish and unlawful.

Anatidae Sun 01-Jan-17 13:40:16

Contact your local council noise team - it's usually under environmental health.
They can help you log and record if needed, and they have the power to seize stereo equipment from persistent offenders.

IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 01-Jan-17 14:20:14

Yes I will look into the council route as the music has started up again. What annoys me the most with it is him and his girlfriend and her son have just gone out in the car leaving the music on.

OurBlanche Sun 01-Jan-17 15:16:27

Then log that, as they are obviously now deliberately doing it to annoy you!

Your local council will give you loads of details on how to collect enough data.

Masketti Sun 01-Jan-17 15:24:26

Yeah that's deliberately to annoy you now. Report to environmental health.

DolomphiousDuck Sun 01-Jan-17 15:54:27

Actually I'd report that to the police as harassment.

Jayfee Sun 01-Jan-17 16:06:33

we had a tenant like that. as soon as the people renting below told us, we told our tenants and the noise stopped. you have tried talking to him, now contact the landlord and council noise officer. record the noise and note down times. i hate inconsiderate people good luck

IHaveAToiletBrush Sun 01-Jan-17 17:43:08

The music stopped about 4:30 must have been the end of the playlist/cd but they arrived home just after 5pm and it is back on again. Thud thud bloody thud.

Anatidae Sun 01-Jan-17 19:48:39

Log.
Report.

It's shit, sorry. Some people are so bloody inconsiderate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now