Talk

Advanced search

Why ring so early

(35 Posts)
PizzaPower Sun 01-Jan-17 10:59:20

DM has a habit of this. Phone rang at 8:30, my Mum wanting to wish us a Happy New Year, however we were still in bed, having not got home until 1:30 this morning.
It woke all three of us up, but went to the answer machine before I could get to it. Just managing to doze off again and she rang not 15 minutes later.
My B'day was a Sunday this year and she rang at 7:30 in the bloody morning to wish me happy birthday! Why?!?
It's the same on an evening, which I will admit isn't an issue now. She knows we get in from work and sit down to have tea around six. (We've told her multiple times) However at least twice a week, she rings at bang on six. We just let that one go to the answer machine every single time, but she never gets the hint.
Sorry more a rant than anything, but AIBU?

theclick Sun 01-Jan-17 11:01:15

Hmm annoying. I tell my mum to NOT leave me voicemails as I find them a pain to retrieve - would rather she just sent me a text. But every. Single. Time. I get a voicemail from her. It's just her way.

Mouse510 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:04:50

I have recently got my DM into Whatsapp, she uses it all the time and the Do Not Distrub function on my phone is brilliant! wink

Have you got a way to silence your house phone? I think ours do have a way to turn the ringer off, but I've not figured out how to use it.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 01-Jan-17 11:09:08

Sounds like my father (the prick).

Always expresses astonishment that I could STILL be in bed past 7am.

Whatsapp would be too much of a stretch for his pea brain.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 01-Jan-17 11:11:48

My late Father used to ring me, very early on my birthday, I think he just wanted to get in there first OP.
I'd give anything for him to ring now.
Let her do it, she loves you. The weekday calls definitely need to stop, that's pushing it too far.🙄

Sirzy Sun 01-Jan-17 11:12:09

Have you asked her not to?

100milesanhour Sun 01-Jan-17 11:12:43

Unplug the phone. It still rings on her end but not on yours.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sun 01-Jan-17 11:15:12

YANBU, my mother does this, I can't bear morning martyrs who think anything past 8am is a lazy. I just don't answer now and tell her it's too early for us to answer. I need a good hour anyway after I get up to have some food and feel human before conversing with others!

ChuckSnowballs Sun 01-Jan-17 11:16:52

Just the volume down permanently.

ChuckSnowballs Sun 01-Jan-17 11:17:13

Turn...turn not just. Adjust if you like.

MrsWhiteWash Sun 01-Jan-17 11:18:40

My parents were like this often at weekends when we had chance to sleep in. Never could get through to them to call bit later.

Then children turned out to be early risers so we we often up now it the opposite they don't like early calls from us and they often aren't up before 10.

TheWitTank Sun 01-Jan-17 11:19:07

I wouldn't class 8.30 as early -but that said I wouldn't ring until after 9am unless it was an emergency or I knew the person was up and about like me (horses and dogs!)

JinnanTonik Sun 01-Jan-17 11:19:11

100milesanhour
Unplug the phone. It still rings on her end but not on yours
Exactly what I was going to suggest, mobiles on silent, house phone on silent or unplug from the wall, resume comms when YOU are ready smile

glitterazi Sun 01-Jan-17 11:19:58

Just unplug it then plug it back in when you get up.

EggysMom Sun 01-Jan-17 11:23:33

Our family rules are no calls before 10am or after 8pm unless an emergency. I always thought my parents were weird and draconian but as a parent myself now, I appreciate it!

DoubleCarrick Sun 01-Jan-17 11:28:00

This is ever so slightly off topic but you've just given me a lovely memory op. My grandparents were often away on my birthday as it is feb and cold. They always used to ring at about 7.30 but every year got the time difference wrong so I ended up having a 6.30 or 5.30 am call!!

MiaowTheCat Sun 01-Jan-17 11:33:47

MIL used to do this to us and it drove us barmy. 9am every bloody weekend.

Now we've got kids we're up well before she is and revenge has been obtained.

Can't unplug the phone as we've got a couple of elderly relatives in poor health so need to be contactable.

PizzaPower Sun 01-Jan-17 11:35:12

For those that have said, have we asked her. Yes a number of times but it makes no difference.
As many of you have said, we need to remember to unplug the main house phone on days like this.
The evening calls aren't an issue, we just ignore and call back when we get chance.

cheekyfunkymonkey Sun 01-Jan-17 11:35:35

Unplug the phone. Then return her call at 10pm when she is presumably tucked up in bed.

carrotcakecupcake Sun 01-Jan-17 11:41:01

My DF used to do this during my first year at Uni. Apparently 7am on a Saturday was the ideal time to discuss what I was currently studying for/ a recent article in the Economist he had read/ my "finances"/ etc. I had stern words with my mother who managed to sort him out.

ArcheryAnnie Sun 01-Jan-17 11:43:33

Turn down the phone ringer!

Recentlylazy Sun 01-Jan-17 11:46:46

Since I retired in September my dad has taken to phoning everyday at 8.30 am. It often wakes me up (after30+ years of 5.30 wake ups I figure I deserve a lie in). It's easy to get irritated but I have come to realise it's a big deal to him. He is 88 and looks after my disabled mum who also suffers from dementia. I love him dearly and dread the day when he will no longer be able to phone. Occasionally I sleep through his call and if I really don't want to be disturbed I do take the phone out but always call back later. Could your mum be lonely?

diddl Sun 01-Jan-17 12:01:04

Why do people make excuses?

I'm sure that if most of us were asked not to do it, we wouldn't.

Why shouldn't that apply to Op's mum?

Or anyone else who has been asked not to do something but still does?

Baylisiana Sun 01-Jan-17 12:05:34

If you unplug the phone or turn down the ringer, you could miss a genuinely urgent call. I would not want to do it for long periods.

Gwenhwyfar Sun 01-Jan-17 12:14:11

"I wouldn't class 8.30 as early"

Not on a week day no, but it's early in the weekend and especially on New Year's Day. I didn't even go out last night, but still wouldn't be up so early on a bank holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now